button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- All Saints Church
other name:- Bolton Church
locality:- Bolton
parish Bolton
parish Bolton parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY63932341
10Km square:- NY62
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY6323

photograph

All Saints Church -- Bolton -- Bolton -- Cumbria / -- 30.5.2006
photograph

All Saints Church -- Bolton -- Bolton -- Cumbria / -- 30.5.2006

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY62, button to large image
BOLTON
site name:- Appleby and Kirkby Stephen Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Carlisle
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5NY62SW, button to large image
church
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

old map:- Morden 1695 (Wmd)

Maps, Westmorland, scale about 2.5 miles to 1 inch, and Cumberland, scale about 3 miles to 1 inch, by Robert Morden, 1695.
image MD10NY62, button   goto source.
thumbnail MD10NY62, button to large image
Bolton Chaple
Circle, building and tower.

placename:- Bolton Chaple
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1695
period:- 17th century, late; 1690s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS / / / BOLTON / EDEN / CUMBRIA / I / 73283 / NY6393323412
courtesy of English Heritage
Parish Church. C12 and C13 with later alterations; restored in 1848. Coursed, squared rubble with buttressing to east and west end. Graduated slate roofs (chancel lower) with stone copings and C17 apex finials; gabled bellcote to west end. 2 cell plan with former west tower now opened up to form part of aisleless nave; original nave string-course visible above gabled C18 south porch. C12 south door has single roll-moulding to semicircular head with rosette decoration to hoodmould. One jamb shaft survives. Each capital has a chip-carved abacus with a low-relief figure to the side; the left hand capital has scallop decoration, the right-hand one is moulded (possibly recut in C13). Partly blocked north nave door is similar with cushion capitals and billet ornament to hoodmould, but lacking both jamb shafts; 2 contemporary carved stones are set in the wall above, one depicts 2 knights jousting and the other bears a badly weathered inscription. On south side, single C18 window with semicircular head to left of porch and 2 similar to right, all diagonally leaded. Narrower chancel has square-headed C14/C15 window and 2 lancets, of which the second has had its sill raised to accommodate a square-headed C17 doorway; single C12 slit window, near east end in both north and south walls. 3-light east window is largely C19 under C14 pointed hoodmould. At west end, dogtooth ornamented trefoil heads to single-light windows on either side of central buttress originally formed a C13/C14 quatrefoil panel. Internally, plain semicircular C17 chancel arch has C19 traceried screen infill. Hemispherical font on square pedestal with chamfered base and capital has conical, ribbed, wooden cover initialled and dated T.G. W.H. 1687. Fastened to wall on east side of door is wooden poor box with dated inscription (now partly painted out) "1634 The pour mans box and churchwardens seat". Some re-used C17 panelling at west end with gallery above. Various commemorative wooden panels on nave walls give details of benefactors; an C18 memorial stone fastened externally to the south wall of the chancel records the gifts of James Hanson and his wife to the village school. A badly weathered C14 tomb effigy is set in the south wall of the nave to the left of the porch.

placename:- Church of All Saints
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY63932341
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
BOWNESS TABLE TOMB IN CHURCHYARD TO SOUTH OF CHANCEL / / / BOLTON / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 73284 / NY6395223413
courtesy of English Heritage
Table-tomb with square corner supports. Inscription badly worn but small brass plate affixed near bottom of slab reads "Obit William Bowness December 11th 1767 Aged 82; Mary his Wife June 27th 1763 Aged 73. He gave in his lifetime Fifty Pounds to the School of Bolton." Table-tomb itself probably that of another William Bowness; a panel inside the church records that, in his will (dated February 9th 1709), he left "... an annual rent of ten shillings to be distributed upon his tomb stone to the poor of Bolton ... on the feast of Saint Thomas the Apostle yearly for ever."
district:- Eden
listed building -- gravestone
coordinates:- NY63952341
person:- : Bowness Family
person:- : Bowness, William
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

incumbents:-
Beck, Nathaniel 1663
Wayte, Robert 1668
Wright, Christopher 1687
1692
Breeks, JohnHanson, James
Sommers, Joseph 1724
Hudson, Daniel 1728
Castley, Thomas 1729
Alderson, George 1731
Smith, Thomas 1739
Blamire, Thomas
Kilner, William 1748
Stokoe, Hugh 1753
Tickel, Joseph 1754
Earl, John 1758
Kilner, Thomas 1768
Walton, John
Rumney, William 1776
Jackson, John 1795
Jackson, Edward 1799
Shepherd, William 1834
Hughes, William Henry 1872
Dobson, John 1873
Dowding, Charles 1876
Stoate, William Morgan 1878
Pinnington, Philip 1880
Burn, Robert 1891
Suttie, John Trail 1895

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Bolton -- Bolton -- Cumbria / -- Coat of arms, stained glass. -- 30.5.2006

old painting:-
thumbnail PR0856, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, The Norman Knights, Bolton, All Saints Church, Bolton, Westmorland, by William Gershom Collingwood, 1899.
Detail of a bas relief; two mounted knights face each other with lances raised. The panel is Norman.
Drawn to illustrate Notes on the Early Sculptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carlisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, published by T Wilson, Kendal 1899; opposite p.58.
initialled at bottom left:-
W.G.C.
date:- 1899
period:- 19th century, late

old print:- Calverley 1899

Notes on the Early Sulptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, edited by W G Collingwood, published for the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, by Titus Wilson, Kendal, Westmorland, 1899.
North side of the church:-
thumbnail CV1045, button to large image
Sketch by W G Collingwood.
There is an iscription nearby:-
thumbnail CV1044, button to large image
date:- 1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

notes Described in:-
Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Bolton -- Bolton -- Cumbria / -- Coat of arms, Victoria. -- 30.5.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Bolton -- Bolton -- Cumbria / -- Chest. -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Bolton -- Bolton -- Cumbria / -- Poor box:- -- '16 34 / THE POUR MANS / BOX / IL RC' -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Bolton -- Bolton -- Cumbria / -- Mothers Union banner -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Bolton -- Bolton -- Cumbria / -- The screen. -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Bolton -- Bolton -- Cumbria / -- Painted board, charities. -- 31.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Bolton -- Bolton -- Cumbria / -- Painted board:- -- 'William Bowness by his Will bearing Date Feb 9th 1709 Charged a Close in Colbyfield Call'd Butlershorn with an Annual rent of Ten shillings to be Distributed upon his Tomb Stone to the poor of Bolton by the Churchwardens & Overseeres with the Approbation of the heir or Cheif of his family on the Feast of Saint Thomas the Apostle yearly for ever.' -- 30.5.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Bolton -- Bolton -- Cumbria / -- War memorial plaque. -- 31.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Bolton -- Bolton -- Cumbria / -- Capital of the door arch: figure with a hammer and an axe. -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Bolton -- Bolton -- Cumbria / -- Sharpening marks on the door. -- 31.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Bolton -- Bolton -- Cumbria / -- 3.8.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Bolton -- Bolton -- Cumbria / -- Effigy of a lady, perhaps taken off a 12th century tomb. -- 30.5.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Bolton -- Bolton -- Cumbria / -- Carved sandstone plaque on the north wall, knights jousting. They are wearing mail and pointed helmets, and carry kite shape shields and lances of late 12th century pattern. -- 30.5.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Bolton -- Bolton -- Cumbria / -- Weathered inscription. Part was:- -- 'BOELTUN' -- 3.8.2009

hearsay An inscription by the jousting knights:-
St Lawrence de Vere gives to the men of Bolton ...
The rest is lost.

button   ring of bells, Cockermouth
button   ring of bells, Orton
button   sundial, Bolton
button   sundial, Bolton (2)
button   sundial, Cockermouth (2)
button   sundial, Culgaith
button   sundial, Lupton
button   sundial, Renwick
button   sundial, Watermillock
button   war memorial, Allhallows
button   war memorial, Boltons
button   war memorial, Calthwaite
button   war memorial, Renwick
button   war memorial, Underbarrow
button   war memorial, Watermillock

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.