button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Arnside to Hincaster branch railway
parish Arnside parish, once in Westmorland
parish Beetham parish, once in Westmorland
parish Milnthorpe parish, once in Westmorland
parish Heversham parish, once in Westmorland
parish Hincaster parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
railway
from Arnside Junction on the Ulverstone and Lancaster Railway, Lancashire; through Sandside, Heversham, to Hincaster Junction on the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway, Westmorland.
References

imageRWY012.jpg

old map:- Railway Clearing House 1900s-10s

FURNESS

placename:- Furness Railway
date:- 1914
period:- 1910s

hearsay A five and a quarter mile cut off connecting Grange-over-Sands to Oxenholme, part of the Furness Railway, open 1876, finally closed 1972.
The 1867 Act states that part of the line must be on arches:-
In order that the view from Dallam Tower Estate may be onstructed as little as possible
making a bridge over the River Bela into an unecessary viaduct.

goes through
mapping:- Arnside Junction, Arnside
railway embankment, Arnside
Sandside Station, Beetham
railway bridge, Sandside
Bela Viaduct, Beetham
Heversham Station, Heversham
railway bridge, Heversham
railway bridge, Hincaster
Hincaster Junction, Hincaster
1870=1871: authorized
1876: opened
1942: closed to passengers
1972: closed

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.