button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Backbarrow Mill
other name:- Backbarrow Cotton Mill
other name:- Ainsworth Cotton Mill
locality:- Backbarrow
parish Haverthwaite parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
cotton mill; spinning mill; mill
coordinates:- SD357849
10Km square:- SD38

1Km square SD3584

old map:- OS County Series

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
Leven Woollen Mill

placename:- Leven Woollen Mill
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

old print:- Waugh 1860

Guide book, Over Sands to the Lakes, by Edwin Waugh, published by Alexander Ireland and Co, 22 Market Street, Manchester, 1860.
thumbnail WU0118, button to large image
Print, engraving, Backbarrow Mills, Backbarrow, Haverthwaite, Lancashire, drawn by T H Wilson, published by Alexander Ireland and Co, 22 Market Street, Manchester, 1860.
On p.47 of Over Sands to the Lakes, by Edwin Waugh.
printed at bottom left:-
THW
printed at bottom:-
BACKBARROW MILLS.

placename:- Backbarrow Mills
date:- 1860
period:- 19th century, late

old map:- Crosthwaite 1783-94 (Win/Ble)

Series of maps, An Accurate Map of the Matchless Lake of Derwent, of the Grand Lake of Windermere, of the Beautiful Lake of Ullswater, of Broadwater or Bassenthwaite Lake, of Coniston Lake, of Buttermere, Crummock and Loweswater Lakes, and Pocklington's Island, by Peter Crosthwaite, Kendal, Cumberland now Cumbria, 1783 to 1794.
thumbnail CT9SD38T, button to large image
The Mill
block, building/s, on the River Leven

placename:- Mill, The
date:- 1783=1794
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s; 1790s

descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821)

Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P026, button   goto source.
Page 26, footnote:-
... From thence [Newby Bridge] to Bouth, on the common turnpike 3 miles. (But it might be worth while to go a little out of the way through a valley on the left hand, by Backbarrow Cotton-spinning-mills, the iron founderies, and Low-wood Gunpowder-mills, which are very romantically situated).

placename:- Backbarrow Cotton Spinning Mills
date:- 1778
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

hearsay At one time this was a dark satanic mill, the Ainsworth Cotton Mill; its workforce of young children, orphans from Liverpool and London, working 6 days a week from 5am to 8pm.
In 1890 it became the Blue Works of the Lancashire Ultramarine Co, taken over by Reckitt and Colman in 1920, continuing to make industrial blue, a mixture of indigo and lime. This (it is firmly said) did not include Dolly Blue used in clothes washing. The mill closed 1981.
It has been converted to a hotel, White Water Hotel, with a group of time share houses known as The Lakeland Village.

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.