button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Carlisle Castle
locality:- Carlisle
parish Carlisle city, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
castle
coordinates:- NY397563
10Km square:- NY35

1Km square NY3956

photograph

Carlisle Castle -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- 19.4.2006
photograph

Carlisle Castle -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Portcullis -- 20.6.2008

old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 23 3)

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
Castle, The / Queen Mary's Tower (Remains of) / Sallyport (Built up) / Halfmoon Battery (Site of) / King Richard III Tower / Outer Ward / Inner Ward

other name:- Queen Mary's Tower
other name:- Halfmoon Battery
other name:- King Richard III Tower
other name:- Outer Ward
other name:- Inner Ward
castle
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

descriptive text:- Burrow 1920s

Road strip maps with parts in Westmorland, Cumberland etc, now Cumbria, irregular scale about 1.5 miles to 1 inch, by E J Burrow and Co, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, 1920s.
... Carlisle Castle has also been preserved in large measure and in modern times has served as Army barracks. ...
date:- 1920=1929
period:- 1920s

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 102:-
...
The Castle is at the north-west corner of the city, on a bold eminence overlooking the river Eden. It was begun in the reign of William Rufus, since which it has undergone many changes, and been the scene of various historical occurrences. At present it consists of a large area, surrounded by strong walls, entered through an embattled gateway, in which the portcullis still frowns, and within
Page 103:-
are various buildings for infantry. An inner area was originally defended by a half-moon battery, now removed, though the gate-way remains, through which is the approach to the great keep, at present used as an armoury. The angular tower in which Mary of Scotland was imprisoned, has, after having been appropriated to barracks, lately been taken down. This fortress is now used as the depôt of an infantry regiment, and a small detachment of artillerymen are stationed to take care of the armoury. There is something very interesting in its appearance, and it is chiefly valuable as a massy feature, giving character to the distant appearance of the city.
person:- : William Rufus
person:- : Mary, Queen of Scots
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

old map:- Bell 1833

Maps, Westmoreland, scale about 5.5 miles to 1 inch, and Cumberland, scale about 8 miles to 1 inch, by James Bell? engraved by R Scott, published by Archibald Fullarton and Co, Glasgow, Strathclyde, about 1833-34; published 1833-46.
thumbnail BEL3Vgn2, button to large image
date:- 1833
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

descriptive text:- Baker 1802

Perspective road map with sections in Lancashire, Westmorland, and Cumberland through Kendal and Penrith ending at Carlisle, by J Baker, London 1802.
Page 27:-
...
... The castle from hence [north of Carlisle] on one side, looks like a complete fortress; ...
date:- 1802
period:- 19th century, early; 1800s

old map:- Baker 1802

Perspective road map with sections in Lancashire, Westmorland, and Cumberland through Kendal and Penrith ending at Carlisle, by J Baker, London 1802.
thumbnail Bk03Vg01, button to large image
date:- 1802
period:- 19th century, early; 1800s

old text:- Camden 1789

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 174:-
... the very antient city of Carlisle, defended on the north by the Eden, on the east by the Peterill, on the west by the Caude, and besides all these natural fortifications with strong stone walls, a castle, and a citadel, as it is called. ... On the west is the castle of considerable extent, which, by his arms, appears to have been repaired by Richard III. ...
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 193:-
...
... The castle, though antient, makes a good appearance at a distance, and commands an extensive view of pleasant meads, insulated by the two branches of the Eden. Richard III. made some additions to the castle, ... The old portcullis remains in the inner gate of the castle, and they shew the apartments where Mary queen of Scots was lodged after her landing at Workington. It is now deserted, and the garrison withdrawn. ...
person:- : Mary, Queen of Scots
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old map:- Smith 1752

Estate plan, Map of the Soccage Lands at Carlisle, scale about 27 ins to 1 mile, by George Smith, 1752.
thumbnail M005P, button to large image
date:- 1752
period:- 18th century, late; 1750s

old map:- Bowen 1720 (plate 94)

Road book, Britannia Depicta Or Ogilby Improv'd, including road strip maps with sections in Westmorland, scale about 2 miles to 1 inch, derived from maps by Ogilby, 1675, and a county map of Westmorland, scale about 8 miles to 1 inch, with text by John Owen, published by Emanuel Bowen, London, 1720; published 1720-64.
thumbnail B094m297, button to large image
date:- 1720
period:- 18th century, early; 1720s

descriptive text:- Bowen 1720 (plate 161)

Road book, Britannia Depicta Or Ogilby Improv'd, including road strip maps with sections in Westmorland, scale about 2 miles to 1 inch, derived from maps by Ogilby, 1675, and a county map of Westmorland, scale about 8 miles to 1 inch, with text by John Owen, published by Emanuel Bowen, London, 1720; published 1720-64.
CARLISLE - ... Willm. Rufus who haveing made a Peace with ye Scots, visited Carlisle, & considering how good a Barrier it might be against that People, in case of a new eruption, ordered ye Walls & Castle to be repaired. K. Henry 1st. repaired & much augmented its Fortifications. The Castle is at this Day a well Fortifyed building, as is the Cittadel, ...

placename:- Carlisle
person:- Henry I
date:- 1720
period:- 18th century, early; 1720s

descriptive text:- Fiennes 1698

Travel book, manuscript record of Journeys through England including parts of the Lake District, by Celia Fiennes, 1698.
... there remaines only some of the walls and ruines of the Castle which does shew it to have been a very strong town formerly; the walls are of a prodigious thickness and vast great stones, its moated round and with draw bridges; ...
date:- 1698
period:- 17th century, late
period:- 1690s

old map:- Ogilby 1675 (plate 86)

Road book, Britannia, strip road maps, with sections in Westmorland and Cumberland etc, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, by John Ogilby, London, 1675; and a general map of England and Wales.
image OG86m065, button   goto source.
thumbnail OG86m065, button to large image
In mile 69, Cumberland.
Castle, a large building with a central tower.
date:- 1675
period:- 17th century, late; 1670s

old map:- Ogilby 1675 (plate 38)

Road book, Britannia, strip road maps, with sections in Westmorland and Cumberland etc, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, by John Ogilby, London, 1675; and a general map of England and Wales.
image OG38m297, button   goto source.
thumbnail OG38m297, button to large image
In mile 301, Cumberland.
Castle drawn within the town walls.
date:- 1675
period:- 17th century, late; 1670s

old painting:-
thumbnail PR1313, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, Half Moon Battery, Carlisle Castle, Cumberland, by Matthew Ellis Nutter, 1830s.
Carlisle Castle and gatehouse viewed from above the moat. The Half Moon Battery lies in the foreground and beyond it the moat is crossed by a single span bridge. In the distance may be seen the tower of Carlisle Cathedral. Two soldiers in eighteenth century uniform walk along the bank of the moat.
inscription on backing paper of frame (now covered) reads 'The Halfmoon Battery, Moat and Bridge, Carlisle Castle
inscribed at reverse:-
The Halfmoon Battery, Moat and Bridge, Carlisle Castle

placename:- Carlisle Castle
date:-
period:- 19th century, early

old drawing:-
thumbnail PR1223, button to large image
Drawing, Entrance Gate, Carlisle Castle, Cumberland, by Matthew Ellis Nutter, 1835.
Detailed sketch of the gateway to Carlisle Castle, viewed from the interior. The wooden doors stand open and the portcullis is raised. Beyond the outer arch lies a view across the bridge culminating in the cathedral which rises above the city's buildings.
inscribed at bottom right:-
Entrance Gate, Carlisle Castle

placename:- Carlisle Castle
date:- 1835
period:- 19th century, early

old drawing:-
thumbnail PR1226, button to large image
Drawing, Inside of the Brick Tower Built by King Richard III, Carlisle Castle, Cumberland, by Matthew Ellis Nutter, 1835?
Detailed sketch of the barrel vaulted interior of a stone tower with a round headed doorway and large rectangular window through an arch to right of composition and fireplace in centre. To left, another doorway is partially visible.
inscribed at bottom right:-
Inside of the Brick Tower built by King Rich'd 3d, Carlisle Castle

placename:- Carlisle Castle
date:- 1835
period:- 19th century, early

old drawing:-
thumbnail PR1227, button to large image
Drawing, Carlisle Castle Gate, Inside, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Matthew Ellis Nutter, 1835.
Detailed sketch of the courtyard of Carlisle Castle with the gate at centre of composition and a sentry box to right. In the foreground a drum lies abandonned on the ground.
inscribed & dated at bottom right:-
Carlisle Castle gate inside July 27 1835

placename:- Carlisle Castle
date:- 1835
period:- 19th century, early

old painting:-
thumbnail PR1235, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, Interior View of Carlisle Castle, Cumberland, by Robert Carlyle snr, 1791.
Included in an album The Antiquities of the City of Carlisle. View of courtyard of Carlisle Castle surrounded by buildings, the right hand side cast into shaddow. Two men stand together in the middle distance.
inscribed at bottom centre:-
INTERIOR VIEW of CARLISLE CASTLE.

placename:- Carlisle Castle
date:- 1791
period:- 18th century, late

old print:-
thumbnail PR1302, button to large image
Print, Castle Gateway, Carlisle Castle, Cumberland, by Hugh Harmwood Banner, 1928-35.
Castle gateway with raised portcullis viewed from across stone bridge spanning moat. A tall tree grows to its left.
inscribed at bottom left:-
Castle Gateway, Carlisle
signed at bottom right:-
Hugh H Banner
date:- 1928=1935
period:- 1920s

old painting:-
thumbnail PR1306, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, Carlisle Castle with Queen Mary's Tower, 1834, Carlisle, Cumberland, by William Henry Nutter, 1868.
View of Carlisle Castle from the ramparts leading up to it. Smoke issues from two of its chimneys. To right of composition, on the pathway circumventing the mound upon which the castle stands, two men pause to converse. Sunset approaches.
signed & dated at bottom left:-
W H Nutter 1868.
inscribed at reverse:-
Carlisle Castle with Queen Mary's Tower 1834

placename:- Carlisle Castle
date:- 1834
period:- 19th century, late

old print:-
thumbnail PR1186, button to large image
Print, Carlisle Castle, Cumberland, drawn and engraved by John Greig, 1800s-10s.
View of Carlisle Castle viewed from above the moat; two men lean against the stone bridge which spans it.
inscribed at bottom right:-
Drawn and Engrav'd by J.Greig
printed at bottom centre:-
CARLISLE CASTLE

placename:- Carlisle Castle
date:- 1800=1819
period:- 19th century, early

old painting:-
thumbnail PR1189, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, The Portcullis, Carlisle Castle, Cumberland, by John James Hodgson, 1905.
Summertime; the gateway to Carlisle Castle with its portcullis raised and studded doors thrown open. Across the bridge spanning the moat the view of the city beyond is blocked by a tall tree.
inscribed at bottom left:-
Carlisle Castle
signed & dated at bottom right:-
J J Hodgson 1905

placename:- Carlisle Castle
date:- 1905
period:- 1900s

old print:-
thumbnail PR1202, button to large image
Print, coloured, The Keeper, Carlisle Castle, About the Time of Charles I, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Joseph W Simpson, 1915.
Three quarter length depiction of the Keeper, dressed as a Royalist, his head turned to regard the viewer. He stands with his right arm extended, resting on his sword. Behind him a group of soldiers are gathered beside the castle entrance, the portcullis of which is raised.
signed at top right on print:-
Simpson
date:- 1630=1639
period:- 1920s

old print:-
thumbnail PR1203, button to large image
Print, coloured, Mary Queen of Scots at Carlisle Castle, Cumberland, by Joseph W Simpson, 1922.
Quarter length depiction of Mary Queen of Scots, her head turned to face left. Behind her a group of soldiers are gathered beside the raised portcullis at the entrance to the castle within which she stands.
signed at bottom left on print:-
Simpson
person:- : Mary, Queen of Scots
date:- 1568
period:- 1920s

old drawing:-
thumbnail PR1220, button to large image
Drawing, Carlisle Castle Front Entrance, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Matthew Ellis Nutter, 1835.
Detailed sketch of the gateway to Carlisle Castle, viewed from the moat with several ducks beside a wooden post standing in the water. The bridge leading to the castle entrance crosses the composition horizontally with the castle standing to the right.
inscribed & dated at bottom right:-
Carlisle Castle front Entrance 29 July 1835

placename:- Carlisle Castle
date:- 1835
period:- 19th century, early

old drawing:-
thumbnail PR1222, button to large image
Drawing, Front Entrance to Carlisle Castle, From Outside, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Matthew Ellis Nutter, 1835.
Detailed sketch of the gateway to Carlisle Castle, viewed from the exterior. The wooden doors stand open and the portcullis is raised. Beyond the inner arch lies a view across the courtyard towards one of the military buildings opposite.
inscribed & dated at bottom right:-
Front Entrance Carlisle Castle outside July 29 1835

placename:- Carlisle Castle
date:- 1835
period:- 19th century, early

old painting:-
thumbnail PR1038, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, Carlisle Castle, Cumberland, 1822.
Summertime; view looking up towards Carlisle Castle from the pathway which follows the contours of the hillside and leads towards its arched entrance. A flagpole stands on the hexagonal tower at the near corner of building. To left, thick bushes and a tall silver birch tree.
annotated at mount:-
Carlisle Castle 1822 4/6

placename:- Carlisle Castle
date:- 1822
period:- 19th century, early

old print:-
thumbnail PR1070, button to large image
Print, Queen Mary's Tower, Carlisle Castle, Cumberland, by William Henry Nutter, 1835.
In a scrapbook album.
date:- 1835
period:- 19th century, early

old painting:-
thumbnail PR1079, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, Interior View of Carlisle Castle, Cumberland, by Robert Carlyle snr, about 1792.
Courtyard of Carlisle Castle, the right hand side of which is cast into shadow. In centre foreground stands a warder wearing blue breeches and a tailcoat; in his right hand he holds a large bunch of keys. Beside him stand two gentlemen, one of whom stands with his back towards the viewer, his hands clasped behind his back. The other leans on a walking stick.
inscribed at bottom left:-
Drawn by Rob't Carlyle
inscribed at bottom centre:-
INTERIOR VIEW of CARLISLE CASTLE.

placename:- Carlisle Castle
date:- 1792
period:- 18th century, late

old painting:-
thumbnail PR1094, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, Carlisle Castle, Inner Gate, Carlisle, Cumberland, by William Henry Nutter, 1830s-40s.
View of the gateway to Carlisle Castle, viewed from the interior. The wooden doors stand open and the portcullis is raised. Beyond the outer archway, beneath which stand two men, lies a tall building with several rows of uniform windows.
signed at bottom left on mount:-
W H Nutter.
date:- 1830=1849
period:- 19th century, early

old painting:-
thumbnail PR1095, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, Carlisle Castle, Outer Gate, Carlisle, Cumberland, by William Henry Nutter, 1830s-40s.
View of the gateway to Carlisle Castle, seen from the stone bridge spanning the moat. The wooden doors stand open and the portcullis is raised. Beyond the inner archway, beneath which stands the tiny figure of a man, lies a view across the courtyard towards one of the military buildings opposite.
signed at bottom left on mount:-
W H Nutter
date:- 1830=1849
period:- 19th century, early

old drawing:-
thumbnail PR1130, button to large image
Drawing, Carlisle Castle Gate, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Thomas Bushby, 1915.
View of Carlisle Castle Gate with soldiers stationed at either side of the moat.
signed & dated at bottom right:-
Thos. Bushby. 1915
inscribed at bottom left of paper:-
Carlisle Castle Gate

placename:- Carlisle Castle
date:- 1915
period:- 1910s

old painting:-
thumbnail PR0797, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, Carlisle Castle, The Half Moon Battery, Cumberland, by W Hetherington, 1885.
View of Carlisle Castle from above the moat beside which stand a couple to left of composition. A soldier is stationed at each end of the bridge which crosses the moat.
signed & dated at bottom right:-
W Hetherington 1885
person:- soldier
date:- 1830 = 1839
period:- 19th century, early

old painting:-
thumbnail PR0827, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, Captain's Tower, Carlisle Castle, Cumberland, by Luke Clennell, about 1810.
Gateway to Carlisle Castle, partially open; a soldier standing to attention is seen in profile inside the open portion. To right of composition two men stand on the wall of the castle, one of them gesturing to the other. To left of composition weeds overhang the gateway's recess.
date:- 1810
period:- 19th century, early

old painting:-
thumbnail PR0872, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, Queen Mary's Tower, Carlisle Castle, Cumberland, by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1797.
View of Queen Mary's Tower, overgrown with weeds, from beside the castle wall. Two men stand conversing beside the picket fence to its right. Slanting shadows are cast by the castle walls in the bright sunshine. Work is painted in monochromatic tomes of blue and grey.
at reverse:-
This sketch represents Queen Mary's Tower, Carlisle Castle which was pulled down in 1836. It was probably paintrd during Turner's first visit to Carlisle in 1797 and was in the possession of Dr Munro, Turner's early patron

placename:- Carlisle Castle
date:- 1797
period:- 18th century, late

old painting:-
thumbnail PR0909, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, The Inner Gate of Carlisle Castle, Cumberland, by Robert Carlyle snr, 1791.
In centre foreground stand a young couple, she gesturing to the left. Behind them stands the castle gateway, the left hand leaf of its door partially open.
One of a set of 11 original drawings for proposed aquatints The Antiquities of the City of Carlisle, 1791
The work was adapted by Matthew Ellis Nutter, being executed as one of a series of 17 works by Carlyle and published by Thurnam as Carlisle in the Olden Time, 1835. See CALMG:1978.108.74.2
inscribed at bottom centre:-
The INNER GATE of CARLISLE CASTLE.

placename:- Carlisle Castle
date:- 1791
period:- 18th century, late

old painting:-
thumbnail PR0910, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, South East View of Carlisle Castle, Cumberland, by Robert Carlyle snr, 1791.
Summertime; Carlisle Castle stands in centre of composition, two men standing on the rampart leading up to it. To left of foreground two soldiers stand conversing.
One of a set of 11 original drawings for proposed aquatints The Antiquities of the City of Carlisle, 1791.
inscribed at bottom centre:-
SOUTH EAST VIEW of CARLISLE CASTLE

placename:- Carlisle Castle
person:- soldier
date:- 1791
period:- 18th century, late

old painting:-
thumbnail PR0961, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, Carlisle Castle and Cathedral with Canon Firing from Castle, Cumberland, by Thomas Hearne, about 1780.
Carlisle Castle rises above flat meadow and river of foreground, billows of smoke drifting from it to right of composition. To left, beyond the castle walls, lies a distant view of Carlisle Cathedral and city.
date:- 1780
period:- 18th century, late

source:- Gents Mag (1746) (pp.233-235, 300-302)

The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1914.
...
DESCRIPTION of CARLISLE castle.
THE castle of Carlisle is built on a rising ground, close to the North side of Hadrian's vallum, near the conflux of the Eden and Cauda. It was at first probably one of Agricola's stations, which Severus remov'd to the opposite bank of the Eden, for the better securing of his wall; for which reason it is omitted in the list of Paxcirolus's garrisons (being none in his time) and Congevata, or Stanwix, substituted in its stead. It continued nevertheless a place of note, and is frequently mention'd, in the Itinerary of Antonine under the name of Lugo-vallum, ad vallum, deriv'd, as etymologists imagine, from the Celtic word LUGOS, a tower, and VALLUM, a trench, or rampart. But I rather conjecture that it was wrote Leucovallum, denoting a particular whiteness in the wall of this place, almost all the other walls in that country appearing red from the colour of the stone of which they are built. Egfrid, a king of Northumberland, seems to be the first who built a castle here in the 7th century, but it was afterwards demolish'd by the Danes, and again restor'd by Rufus son of the Norman, for a safe-guard against the Scots. The munificence of succeeding kings added greatly to its strength, so that it was able to hold out a considerable time in the civil war;
and might have been an impregnable barrier against the rebels, who could not have lain long before it, even with the garrison of invalids, had they done their duty. It consists at present of an inner and outer fortification, both together making one triangular building: A figure least susceptible of improvement from modern fortification, but abundant amends is made for this defect by the thickness of its walls, the firmness of its mortar, and the distance of annoying batteries, those of his royal highness being 700 yards (about 300 beyond point blank) and the escalado being impracticable; besides the security of an inner castle of much less compass, of a pentagonal form, and incredible strength, especially against any cannon which the rebels had or cou'd bring by that road. Nevertheless it surrendered with the city, or immediately after, at a time when his majesty's army was within two days march to relieve it. Quis talia fando, &c. For the position of the batteries, and the number of guns, I refer you to the map and plan.
While the rebels had this castle in possession, a project was formed by some of the city, after a surfeit of highland government, to seize it by surprize; a scheme feasible enough, as the governor lodg'd in the city, and as it was to be effected on a market day, when a curiosity to gaze drew the rebel garrison from their stronghold. But it was unluckily discover'd a little before the time fixed for the execution. Some of the projectors were secur'd, and other precautions taken, which unhappily prevented the entire destruction of the rebels in their flight back, and render'd the loss of the place so much the greater consequence, and never enough to be regretted.

other name:- Lugovallum
other name:- Leucovallum
person:- : Agricola
person:- : Severus
person:- : Paxcirolus
person:- : Egfrid, King of Northumbria
person:- : William Rufus
date:- 1745
period:- 18th century, early; 1740s
event:- rebellion : 1745 Rebellion

source:- Gents Mag (1746)

The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1914.
... on Saturday [9.11.1745] their hussars advanced to Stanwix bank, to take a view of the city; on which the 8 gun battery at B fir'd from the castle and they disappear'd. ...
date:- 1745
period:- 18th century, early; 1740s
event:- rebellion : 1745 Rebellion

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
INNER BAILEY PALACE RANGE INCLUDING PART OF QUEEN MARY'S TOWER / / / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / I / 386586 / NY3977456239
courtesy of English Heritage
Palace range. Early C14 with extensive 1819-21 alterations; stonework restored in late 1970s. Squared red sandstone blocks. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gable at left. 4 regularly-spaced sash windows with glazing bars in stone reveals, the openings cut through earlier infilled windows which can be clearly traced. Left return wall was formerly covered by the Long Hall (demolished in 1812) retaining former linking ground floor and upper floor (now blocked) doorways and roof crease. Right return has a projecting stair turret which was originally internal (the Kitchen range and Queen Mary's Tower were originally here) with blind C14 tracery ribs under crenellated parapet (formerly a cupola).
INTERIOR has been extensively altered but original floor levels and C16 fireplaces are visible in walls.
HISTORY: A watercolour by Robert Carlyle c1791, in Carlisle Museum, shows the building before alteration and with its large upper floor chapel windows. Altered to barracks in 1821; left as a shell after fire of 1890 and re-roofed. Now Museum of the King's Own Royal Border Regiment and called Queen Mary's Tower (that building was demolished in 1835). Rear former C19 cookhouse, has central plank door and sash windows with glazing bars. For full details see McCarthy et al (1990). The Castle is a Scheduled Ancient Monument. (Carlisle Castle: A survey and documentary history: McCarthy MR: London: 1990-).

other name:- Palace Range
other name:- Queen Mary's Tower
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39775623
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
INNER BAILEY MILITIA STORE / / / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 386585 / NY3975356249
courtesy of English Heritage
Militia store, now toilets and storeroom. Dated 1881 on gable oval. Coursed red sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth, string course and dentilled cornice. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables, 2 storeys, 6 bays. Plank doors at left and right in segmental-arched plain reveals, up steps. Iron-framed casement windows in plain reveals. Contemporary lift shaft projects on left return wall. Letter H painted over left doorway dates from the C19 when each building was given a barrack letter.
INTERIOR retains its original manual lift gear. The Castle is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39755624
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
INNER BAILEY KEEP / / / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / I / 386583 / NY3974856224
courtesy of English Heritage
Keep of Carlisle Castle and adjoining forebuilding. Early C12 with mid C16 and C19 alterations. Extremely thick walls of squared red sandstone with stepped chamfered plinth, broad pilasters and splayed embrasures to parapets. Flat lead roof. 4 storeys, roughly square. East face has off-centre doorway recessed for portcullis. An additional entrance at first floor level at left has been covered by a 2-storey forebuilding, which is partly medieval, but very altered (a 1577 replica panel is built into one wall). Various original slit windows, but some enlarged as casements or sashes with glazing bars; over one window is the inscription JOHN HYDE 1714. Sloping gun ramp on north face is now stepped; earthen ramparts cover parts of the west and south faces. Broad splayed embrasures to parapets are thought to be a C16 alteration, removing part of its original height.
INTERIOR retains many original and later features; vaulted basement; C12 fireplace; mural chambers with C15 carvings. For full details McCarthy et al (1990). Listing includes the former 1827 Quartermaster's store adjoining the Forebuilding and remaining rear wall of the 1577 Governor's House which adjoins the Keep.

other name:- Keep, The
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39745622
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
INNER BAILEY MAGAZINE / / / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 386584 / NY3973956258
courtesy of English Heritage
Magazine. 1827 (but could be 1850s replacement). Coursed red sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof. Single storey, single bay. Barred central sash window in stone surround, flanked by slit vents under hoodmoulds. Inverted T-shaped vents in plinth. Left return wall has recessed C20 plank door in stone surround. Similar window and vents above and in other return. Painted H on front wall over-painted by smaller G is part of the original C19 barrack lettering.
INTERIOR has stone vaulted roof but none of its original wooden racking. For full details see McCarthy et al (1990). The Castle is a Scheduled Ancient Monument. (Carlisle Castle: A survey and documentary history: McCarthy MR: London: 1990-).

other name:- Magazine, The
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39735625
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CAPTAINS TOWER AND INNER BAILEY WALLS / / / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / I / 386582 / NY3972256238
courtesy of English Heritage
Gate tower and curtain walls. C12 walls, C13 tower with C14 modifications and some C19 alterations; walls partly rebuilt 1821-4 and 1834-5. Squared blocks of red and calciferous sandstone; walls battered, partly buttressed and partly with broad pilasters; tower with buttress, pilasters and flat lead roof. The inner bailey is roughly triangular comprising north, south and west walls. The west walls face into the outer bailey and have a central 3-storey square tower (an earlier blocked gateway can also be seen in this wall). At the front of the tower the portcullis slot and platform above have been cut away (c1919), exposing a pointed archway under 1819 blocked doorway and windows. Crenellation was also removed in 1819. The rear of the arch has blind C14 tracery under a Tudor mullioned window.
INTERIOR not inspected.
North wall is extensively buttressed (these partly collapsed in 1821 and had to be rebuilt). On the angle of the south and north walls was Queen Mary's Tower which had to be demolished in 1834-5 and rebuilt in 1835 with a plain crenellated wall. South walls look C12 with broad pilasters. Behind the west and south walls are earth embankments to take guns and a broad stepped ramp gives access to the west wall; beneath the northern part of the west walls are arched casements. The north parapet wall retains two C18 24-pounder cannons. For full details see McCarthy et al (1990).

other name:- Captains Tower
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39725623
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
BRIDGE OVER OUTER MOAT / / / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / I / 386572 / NY3971356181
courtesy of English Heritage
Drawbridge, converted to overbridge. Part medieval with late C18 additions and C20 part-rebuilding of parapet. Large blocks of squared red sandstone. At the base of the bridge are the drawbridge abutments; heightened between 1778-1791 and brick arch added. West solid parapet has coping inscribed by various C19 soldiers who served in the garrison; the right parapet has been rebuilt using new coping. The roadway is of Whin sets and a central sandstone pedestrian walk, all reset in the late 1980s. For full details see McCarthy et al (1990). A watercolour of Carlisle Castle by Robert Carlyle shows the arched bridge in 1791 (not on Hearne's engraving of 1778). (Carlisle Castle: A survey and documentary history: McCarthy MR: London: 1990-).
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39715618
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
OUTER BAILEY HALF MOON BATTERY, FLANKING WALL AND BRIDGE / / / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / I / 386580 / NY3970556237
courtesy of English Heritage
Battery and walls built as an outwork for the Captains Tower (qv); bridge replacing drawbridge. 1542 for Henry VIII by Stephen von Haschenperg; stone bridge added in late C18. Irregularly-coursed red and yellow squared sandstone. Single storey in half-moon shape, built into the inner moat so that its roof is now at ground level. Square splayed gun ports at regular intervals around the sides. Metal safety railings around steps at either side of the cobbled roof, (former gun platform) give access to inner half-moon passage. Flanking wall of similar material acts as retaining wall for the inner moat. At the southern end of this wall and crossing the moat is a single-span segmental-arched bridge; the parapet is of 1919. When no longer required, the moat was completely filled in 1827 and the upper parapet, on the battery and walls, was removed in 1833, so that there was nothing of these fortifications seen above ground until excavated 1917-19 (not to full and original depth). For full details see McCarthy et al (1990).

other name:- Half Moon Battery
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39705623
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
DE IREBYS TOWER AND OUTER BAILEY WALL / / / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / I / 386571 / NY3970056192
courtesy of English Heritage
Gate tower and curtain walls, with interval towers. C12 walls, partly rebuilt at various periods; C13 tower forms the core of present 1378-83 tower by John Lewyn; C19 alterations and C20 restorations. Squared blocks of red and calciferous sandstone with battered and broad pilasters; tower has flat lead roof. Outer bailey is roughly rectangular and its enclosing walls are a continuation of the inner bailey walls on the north and south side; west walls complete the circuit. The south wall has an off-centre gate tower (the main entrance to the castle). 3 storeys in rough L-shape; central through-archway retains portcullis and iron-studded wooden door; various sash windows most in enlarged openings. Over the arch is a blank panel (originally with coat of arms) set into a barbican which was crenellated in 1819. Extensively restored 1988-9 with some external stone replaced (stone replaced in 1874 has weathered in).
INTERIOR not inspected.
At the south-west angle was a battery, and a similar battery was at the north-west angle set on an existing tower. Halfway along the west wall is the postern gate, guarded by a projecting rectangular tower. The north walls have collapsed and been rebuilt on a number of occasions but some medieval walling remains. Continuous parapet walk around the walls has been cut away in places, probably in 1819 or 1832. For full details see McCarthy et al (1990).

other name:- de Irebys Tower
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39705619
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
OUTER BAILEY ALMA BLOCK / / / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 386575 / NY3969756275
courtesy of English Heritage
Border Regiment recruit reception centre and canteen, now Cumbria County Record Office. Built by Messrs J&R Bell (contractors), see Carlisle Journal, 1 April 1932. Flemish bond brickwork on chamfered red sandstone plinth; raised calciferous sandstone quoins, sill band and cornice. Graduated greenslate roof with projecting modillioned eaves and gabled pediments. 2 storeys, 7 bays with rear extensions forming rough L-shape. Single bays at each end project and are quoined, that to right with a pedimented doorway. Sash windows with glazing bars in stone surrounds. Upper central C20 painted stone panel is inscribed ALMA, one of the battle honours of the Border Regiment. Rear extensions are of similar brickwork, but without dressings.
INTERIOR is not of interest. Built in a style to imitate the nearby Arroyo Block. Vacated by the Army in 1959 and converted to Record Office in 1961. For full details see McCarthy et al (1990). Included for group value. (Carlisle Journal: 1 April 1932; Carlisle Castle: A survey and documentary history: McCarthy MR: London: 1990-).

other name:- Alma Block
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39695627
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
OUTER BAILEY GARRISON CELLS AND CUSTODIAN'S OFFICE / / / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 386579 / NY3967656190
courtesy of English Heritage
Garrison cells and gun shed/office. 1832 and 1840. Squared blocks of red sandstone and brick on chamfered red sandstone plinth. Greenslate roof with brick chimney stacks on slope. Single-storey lean-to-buildings, except central cells with gabled roof, built against the south curtain wall of the outer bailey; 2-bay left cells are 1832; 3-bay central cells are of 1840 and of higher roof line and lower right 8-bay office/shed range of same date. The cells have upper barred windows, those on left with segmental arches, those in central range over right doorway and sash window with glazing bars in stone surrounds. The shed/office is in 2 parts of 3 bays/5 bays under common roof; left plank double door and flanking sash windows with glazing bars.
INTERIORS not inspected.
For full details see McCarthy et al (1990). The Castle is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39675619
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
OUTER BAILEY ARNHEM BLOCK / / / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 386576 / NY3967256292
courtesy of English Heritage
Master gunner's house, then garrison hospital, now English Heritage offices. 1804-5 incorporating part of an early C18 house. English bond brickwork on chamfered stone plinth; calciferous sandstone gabled cornice. Graduated greenslate roof with gabled dormer windows; large C19 end brick chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 5 bays. Central plank door in calciferous sandstone alternate-block surround with false keystone up steps. Sash windows with glazing bars in plain reveals and painted stone sills. Gabled dormers have decorative bargeboards. Painted stone panel over entrance is inscribed ARNHEM, one of the battle honours of the Border Regiment. Rear wall incorporates C18 brickwork.
INTERIOR extensively altered. Correspondence on its rebuilding in 1804 by Captain Hartcup is in the PRO, see McCarthy et al (1990). Became hospital by 1830 and had wings added in the 1870's, removed after 1963. The Castle is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Carlisle Castle: A survey and documentary history: McCarthy MR: London: 1990-

other name:- Arnhem Block
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39675629
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
OUTER BAILEY ARROYO BLOCK, GYM AND REGIMENTAL ASSOCIATION CLUB / / / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 386577 / NY3964256281
courtesy of English Heritage
Armoury, then barracks, now County Council Offices; gymnasium, now T.A. Centre; and Sergeants' mess, now regimental club. 1804 by Captain Hartcup for the Board of Ordnance; c1908-1912 extension; 1937-8 rear gymnasium and Sergeants' mess. Flemish bond brickwork on chamfered red sandstone plinth; calciferous sandstone raised quoins, string course and mouldings. Graduated Welsh slate roof with overhanging heavily dentilled eaves, gabled on return; brick ridge chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 7 bays, with left 4-bay extension built to match the rest of the building. Original building to right has central plank door in painted stone architrave. Sash windows with glazing bars in stone architraves, that over entrance is blind. Single bays at each end project and are quoined. Left extension is similar; blind windows in the projecting bay. C20 painted stone panel over entrance inscribed ARROYO, one of the battle honours of the Border Regiment. Wall-mounted clock. Return wall at right has blind windows and at right, smaller windows without glazing bars.
INTERIOR extensively altered. Converted to barracks in 1827; 1840s extension demolished early C20 to be replaced by present extension. Known as Clinton Block in 1890. For full details see McCarthy et al (1990). The Castle is a Scheduled Ancient Monument. (Carlisle Castle: A survey and documentary history: McCarthy MR: London: 1990-).

other name:- Arroyo Block
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39645628
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
OUTER BAILEY OFFICERS' MESS / / / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 386587 / NY3962756190
courtesy of English Heritage
Officers' mess and regimental offices. 1876 on site of the 1640s south-west battery and incorporating part of that structure. Red sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth, with slightly projecting and corbelled parapet. Hipped graduated greenslate roof, rear red sandstone ashlar chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 6 irregular bays. Off-centre storeyed porch (occupying bay 3) has double panelled doors and overlight, in stone surround under continuous hoodmould. 12- and 16-pane sash windows elsewhere in stone surrounds under hoodmoulds; upper floor right window is 3-light mullion. Rear wall incorporates part of the demolished battery wall.
INTERIOR not inspected. For full details see McCarthy et al (1990). The Castle is a Scheduled Ancient Monument. (Carlisle Castle: A survey and documentary history: McCarthy MR: London: 1990-).
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39625619
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
OUTER BAILEY YPRES BLOCK / / / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 386581 / NY3961756235
courtesy of English Heritage
Barrack block. 1836-7 with additions to rear. English bond brickwork with stone cornice; hipped graduated greenslate roof with regularly-spaced C19 ridge brick chimney stacks. 3 storeys, 15 bays with basement. Railed basement area. Entrance to ground floor by 2 porch/bridges, with plank doors in stone surrounds under fanlight. A third central door has been converted to window and porch removed. Sash windows with glazing bars in brick reveals; stone sills and lintels. Upper central C20 painted stone panel is inscribed YPRES, one of the battle honours of the Border Regiment.
INTERIOR and rear extensions are not of interest. For full details see McCarthy et al (1990). The Castle is a Scheduled Ancient Monument. (Carlisle Castle: A survey and documentary history: McCarthy MR: London: 1990-).
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39615623
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
OUTER BAILEY GALLIPOLI BLOCK / / / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 386578 / NY3960756266
courtesy of English Heritage
Regimental canteen, now civilian and army offices. 1829 with extensive 1876 alterations and extensions; C20 rear additions. English bond brickwork under graduated Welsh slate roof; C19 ridge and end brick chimney stacks. Formerly single storey, 6 bays, now 2 storeys, 11 bays overall; porches to bays 3 and 9 have round-headed blind arches; facing returns with plank doors. Sash windows with glazing bars in brick reveals; stone sills and lintels; bay 3 blank to first floor. Upper central C20 painted stone panel is inscribed GALLIPOLI, one of the battle honours of the Border Regiment. Return walls have external stone steps to upper floor, plank doors in brick surrounds.
INTERIOR not inspected.
Canteens in garrisons were abolished in 1871 (Carlisle Journal, 1871). Carlisle Journal (1876) gives the contractors name for the extensions as T.B. Nelson of Carlisle. For full details see McCarthy et al (1990). Included for group value. (Carlisle Journal: 4 February 1876; Carlisle Castle: A survey and documentary history: McCarthy MR: London: 1990-; Carlisle Journal: 8 September 1871).
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39605626
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

old print:- LMS 1920s

Guide book, LMS Route Book no.3, The Track of the Royal Scot, part 1 London Euston to Carlisle, by Edmund Vale, published by the London Midland and Scottish Railway, LMS, 1920s.
thumbnail LS1E01, button to large image
The Captain's Gate, Carlisle Castle, drawn by R M Hutchings, published in the LMS Route Book No.3, The Track of the Royal Scot, by the London Midland and Scottish Railway, LMS, 1920s.
date:- 1920=1929
period:- 1920s

old print:- Jollie 1811

Guide book, Jollie's Cumberland Guide and Directory, published by Francis Jollie and Sons, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1811.
thumbnail JL0702, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, Ground Plan of the Cathedral Church, Carlisle, Cumberland, published by Francis Jollie and Sons, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1811.
There is also an illustration of a medal regarding the 1745 Rebellion, found when cleaning the castle well 'In cleaning this well, lately, a medal was found, of a composition resembling a mixture of tin and copper. This is now in the possession of Serjeant Robinson, of the Forfarshire militia. ...'
Tipped in opposite part 1 p.17 of Jollie's Cumberland Guide and Directory.
person:- : Cumberland, Duke of
date:- 1811
period:- 19th century, early
event:- rebellion : 1745 Rebellion

old print:- Jollie 1811

Guide book, Jollie's Cumberland Guide and Directory, published by Francis Jollie and Sons, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1811.
thumbnail JL0701, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving 5 views - Deanery from the City Wall, SW View of the Fratry, NW View of the Cathedral, NE View of the Castle, and Gate of the Castle, Carlisle, Cumberland, published by Francis Jollie and Sons, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1811.
Folded and tipped in opposite part 1 p.15 of Jollie's Cumberland Guide and Directory.
date:- 1811
period:- 19th century, early

old print:- Hearne and Byrne 1786 (plate 11)

Book, Antiquities of Great Britain, prints from drawings by Thomas Hearne, engraved by William Byrne, published by Hearne and Byrne, London, 1786; published 1786-1807.
thumbnail PR0545, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, View of Carlisle Castle, Carlisle, Cumberland, drawn by Thomas Hearne, engraved by William Byrne and Samuel Middiman, published by Byrne and Hearne, London, 1778.
printed at bottom left, right, centre:-
Drawn by T. Hearne / Engravd. by W. Byrne & S. Middiman. / To the Right Honble. The Earl of Darlingotn, Governor of Carlisle / This View of CARLISLE CASTLE is Inscribed / By his LORDSHIPS most obedient Servants, Thomas Heanr & William Byrne. / London: Publish'd as the Act directs, 1 Decr. 1778 by W. Byrne and T. Hearne.

placename:- Carlisle Castle
date:- 1778
period:- 18th century, late

old print:- Hearne and Byrne 1786

Book, Antiquities of Great Britain, prints from drawings by Thomas Hearne, engraved by William Byrne, published by Hearne and Byrne, London, 1786; published 1786-1807.
thumbnail BNF01, button to large image
Print, engraving, Carlisle Castle, drawn by Thomas Hearne, engraved by William Byrne and Samuel Middiman, published by T Hearne and W Byrne, London, 1786.
Plate ?from the Antiquities of Great Britain, published 1786-1807.
date:- 1786
period:- 18th century, late

old print:- Bogg 1898

Book, Lakeland and Ribblesdale, OR A Thousand Miles of Wandering along the Roman Wall, the Old Border Region, Lakeland, and Ribblesdale, by Edmund Bogg, publishd by Edmund Bogg, 3 Woodhouse Lane, and James Miles, Guildford Street, Leeds, Yorkshire, 1898.
thumbnail BGG104, button to large image
Print, engraving, The Castle Gateway, Carlisle Castle, Carlisle, Cumberland, drawn by A Haselgrave, 1895, published by Edmund Bogg, 3 Woodhouse Lane, and James Miles, Guildford Street, Leeds, Yorkshire, 1898.
Included on p.10 of Lakeland and Ribblesdale, by Edmund Bogg.
date:-
period:- 19th century, late

old print:- Bogg 1898

Book, Lakeland and Ribblesdale, OR A Thousand Miles of Wandering along the Roman Wall, the Old Border Region, Lakeland, and Ribblesdale, by Edmund Bogg, publishd by Edmund Bogg, 3 Woodhouse Lane, and James Miles, Guildford Street, Leeds, Yorkshire, 1898.
thumbnail BGG101, button to large image
Print, engraving, Queen Mary Looking towards Scotland from the Battlements of Carlisle Keep, Carlisle Castle, Cumberland, drawn by S Harrison, published by Edmund Bogg, 3 Woodhouse Lane, and James Miles, Guildford Street, Leeds, Yorkshire, 1898.
Included on p.2 of Lakeland and Ribblesdale, by Edmund Bogg
person:- : Mary Queen of Scots
date:- 1898
period:- 19th century, late

old print:- Thurnam 1835

Set of prints, lithographs, with descriptive text, Carlisle in the Olden Time, drawings by M E Nutter et al, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Ackermann and Co and others, London, 1835.
thumbnail THM102, button to large image
Print, uncoloured lithograph, Carlisle from Primrose Bank, Cumberland, drawn by M E Nutter, lithographed by P Gauci, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Ackermann and Co, by Hodgson, Boys, and Graves, and by Charles Tilt, London, 1835.
Printed by Graf and Soret.
Included in Carlisle in the Olden Time.
printed at bottom:-
Drawn by M. E. Nutter from the original sketch. / P. Gauci lith. / CARLISLE FROM PRIMROSE BANK. / UPWARDS OF ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO. / Carlisle, Published by Charles Thurnam. / London. Ackermann & Co. - Hodgson, Boys, and Graves & Charles Tilt. / Printed by Graf & Soret.
thumbnail THM112, button to large image
Print, uncoloured lithograph, The Castle with the Old Trees on the Lady's Walk, Carlisle, Cumberland, drawn by M E Nutter, lithographed by Giles, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Ackermann and Co, by Hodgson, Boys, and Graves, and by Charles Tilt, London, 1835.
Included in Carlisle in the Olden Time.
printed at bottom:-
Drawn by M. E. Nutter from the Original Sketch. / Giles lithog. / THE CASTLE WITH THE OLD TREES ON THE LADY'S WALK. / Carlisle, Published by Charles Thurnam. / London, Ackermann & Co.- Hodgson, Boys, and Graves & Charles Tilt. / Printed by Graf & Soret.
thumbnail THM113, button to large image
Print, uncoloured lithograph, The Half Moon Battery, Bridge and Moat, Carlisle Castle, Cumberland, drawn by M E Nutter, lithographed by Giles, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Ackermann and Co, by Hodgson, Boys, and Graves, and by Charles Tilt, London, 1835.
Included in Carlisle in the Olden Time.
printed at bottom:-
Drawn by M. E. Nutter from the original Sketch. / Giles lith. / THE HALF MOON BATTERY, BRIDGE & MOAT. / IN THE CASTLE. / Carlisle, Published by Charles Thurnam. / London, Ackermann & Co.- Hodgson, Boys, and Graves & Charles Tilt. / Printed by Graf & Soret.
thumbnail THM114, button to large image
Print, uncoloured lithograph, The Long Hall, and Chapel, in the Castle, Carlisle, Cumberland, drawn by M E Nutter, lithographed by W Gauci, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Ackermann and Co, by Hodgson, Boys, and Graves, and by Charles Tilt, London, 1835.
Included in Carlisle in the Olden Time.
printed at bottom:-
Drawn by M. E. Nutter. / On Stone by W. Gauci. / THE LONG HALL, AND CHAPEL, IN THE CASTLE. / Carlisle, Pubd. by Chas. Thurnam - London, Ackermann & Co. Hodgson, Boys, & Graves & Chas. Tilt 1835. / Day & Haghe lithrs. to the King, London.
thumbnail THM115, button to large image
Print, uncoloured lithograph, The Inner Gate of the Castle, Carlisle, Cumberland, drawn by M E Nutter, lithographed by Giles, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Ackermann and Co, by Hodgson, Boys, and Graves, and by Charles Tilt, London, 1835.
Included in Carlisle in the Olden Time.
printed at bottom:-
Drawn by M. E. Nutter. / Giles lith. / THE INNER GATE OF THE CASTLE. / Carlisle, Published by Charles Thurnam. / London, Ackermann & Co.- Hodgson, Boys, and Graves & Charles Tilt. / Printed by Graf & Soret.

placename:- Carlisle Castle
date:- 1835
period:- 19th century, early

descriptive text:- Lowther 1780s-90s

Scrapbook, 4 volumes, of descriptive texts, maps, and prints of views and coats of arms, for Westmorland and Cumberland, assembled by a member of the Lowther Family, late 18th early 19th century.
thumbnail BMZ99, button to large image
Print, engraving, Carlisle Castle, by S Hooper, engraved by Sparrow, 1775; with descriptive text:-
CARLISLE CASTLE, CUMBERLAND.
THIS Castle stands on the north-west side of the City of Carlisle, which it is said existed before the coming of the Romans; being, according to our antient Chroniclers, built by a King named Luel, or Lugbul; whence it was stiled by the antient Britons Caer-Luel, or Luel's City. It is encompassed on the north side by the river Eden, on the east by the Petterel, and on the west by the Cande.
PROBABLY a spot so strong by Nature was not so destitute of a fortress during the time of the Romans, when, as appears from the many inscriptions and ancient utensils digged up hereabouts, Carlisle was a place of much estimation: but the present Castle was the work of William Rufus, built about the year 1093, 200 years after the city had been destroyed by the Danes.
KING William at first placed herein a colony of Flemmings; and afterwards removing these to the Isle of Anglesea, he sent in their stead a number of Husbandmen from the south to instruct the inhabitants in the art of cultivating their lands.
KING HENRY I. is said to have encreased the fortifications of the City, and to have strengthened it with a garrison; he also raised it to the dignity of an Episcopal See, granting it many privileges and immunities, with intention to render it strong and populous, it being an important barrier against the incursion of the Scots.
IN the reign if Henry III. that Prince gave the custody of the Castle and County to Robert de Veteri Ponte, or Vipont.
ACCORDING to Camden, the Castle was rebuilt, or much repaired by King Richard III. whose arms, he says, were set up against it. Probably these repairs became necessary from the damage it suffered in the great fire, anno 1292, in which, the Chronicle of Lanercost Abbey says, it was burned down, together with the Cathedral and Suburbs. Or it might, at length, have become ruinous from the assaults it had sustained from the Scots, by whom it was often besieged, and twice taken; once in the reign of King Stephen; and retaken by King Henry II.; and, again, in the time of King John.
KING HENRY VIII. caused several additions to be made to the fortifications of this Town and Castle: and Queen Elizabeth built the Chapel and Barracks, as appears by her Arms placed thereon.
THIS Castle is of an irregular figure, having a strong Gate-house, and three small square Towers, of little or no use in the present mode of defence. These communicate with a Rampart and Parapet, for the ascent of which there are several flights of steps.
THE KEEP stands on the east side. It is built of reddish stone, and now used for the store-house. It is separated from the Castle-yard by a ditch on its west side; which ditch is defended by a curious round Bastion. In the inner Gate of the Castle is still to be seen the old Portcullis.- Here are likewise several ancient guns mounted on rotten and unserviceable carriages. This fortress suffered some injury during the Civil Wars in the reign of King Charles I. and was battered and taken by the Duke of Cumberland in the Rebellion of 1745. The breach caused by the Duke's batteries, which were planted on a rising ground to the west at nearly 500 yards distance, are now repaired; for which purpose the inside of the south-wall has been stripped of its facing.
HERE were several embrasures raised with earth, most of the batteries being originally en barbette.
HERE the unfortunate Mary Queen of Scots lodged when she fled from Scotland. Her apartments are still shewn among the Admiranda of the Castle.
This View, which shews the North-East Aspect, was drawn Anno 1774.
person:- : Luel; Lugbul
person:- : William Rufus
person:- : Henry I
person:- : Richard III
person:- : Mary, Queen of Scots
person:- : Henry VIII
person:- : Charles I
person:- : Cumberland, Duke of
date:- 1775
period:- 18th century, late
event:- war : Civil War

descriptive text:- Lowther 1780s-90s

Scrapbook, 4 volumes, of descriptive texts, maps, and prints of views and coats of arms, for Westmorland and Cumberland, assembled by a member of the Lowther Family, late 18th early 19th century.
thumbnail BMZ98, button to large image
Print, engraving, North West View of Carlisle Castle, late 18th century; with descriptive text:-
CARLISLE CASTLE
Is situated on the north-west side of the city of Carlisle, a place of considerable note in the earliest period of our history. It is said to have owed its origin to one Luel or Luguabal, an antient British King; and from thence to have derived the name given by the Britons, of Caer-Luel, or Luel's City.
When the Romans had extended their conquest to this extremity of the island, and raised that barrier against the incursions of their hostile neighbours, called the Pict's-wall, they changed the name of this city to Luguvallum, or the city of Luel on the Vallum or wall.
This place, being situated on the frontiers, and intended to check the progress of the northern invaders, must necessarily have been subject to the evils and calamities attendant on war: accordingly we find it was entirely destroyed by the Danes in the ninth century, and was not restored till the time that William Rufus, in 1092, in his progress through these parts, was so pleased with the situation, that he rebuilt and fortified the town, and strengthened it by the addition of a Castle of considerable extent. The fortifications were augmented, and a garrison placed here, by Henry I. It afterwards sustained many grievous seiges, was twice taken by the Scots, and as often recovered by the English. In the reign of Edward the second it was again besieged by Robert Bruce; and in the fourteenth of Richard II, it was almost entirely consumed by fire.
After this conflagration, in which the Castle must have suffered considerably, it was repaired and enlarged by king Richard III. Henry VIII. strengthened the fortifications of the town by the addition of a citadel. In this reign Musgrave and Tilby, who headed an insurrection raised on account of the suppression of monasteries, laid seige to this place with eight thousand men; but being repulsed by the city, were attacked and defeated in their retreat by the Duke of Norfolk.
In this Castle are shown the apartments where the unfortunate Mary Queen of Scots was lodged, when she took up her residence here, after her landing at Workington. It received some injury in the civil wars of Charles I.; was taken by the rebels in November 1745, and retaken by the Duke of Cumberland in about six weeks after.
The Print shows the entrance to the Castle, which is on the east side: this side is defended by a ditch, over which there was a draw-bridge when this view was taken, in 1777, but in some late repairs of the Castle an arch has been substituted in its stead. Over the outer gate, in the Print, is seen the stone on which, Cambden says, are the arms of Richard III. from whence it was supposed that he was the founder of this part of the Castle; and in the inner gate, is seen a part of the old portcullis mentioned by later topographical writers.

placename:- Caer Luel
other name:- Luel's City
other name:- Luguvallum
person:- : Luel; Luguabal
person:- : William Rufus
person:- : Edward II
person:- : Robert the Bruce
person:- : Henry I
person:- : Richard III
person:- : Mary, Queen of Scots
person:- : Henry VIII
person:- : Charles I
person:- : Cumberland, Duke of
date:- 1760=1799
period:- 18th century, late
event:- war : Civil War

old print:- Lowther 1780s-90s

Scrapbook, 4 volumes, of descriptive texts, maps, and prints of views and coats of arms, for Westmorland and Cumberland, assembled by a member of the Lowther Family, late 18th early 19th century.
thumbnail BMZ23, button to large image
Print, engraving, plans of Penrith Castle, Penrith, and Carlisle Castle, Carlisle, Cumberland now Cumbria, late 18th century.
date:- 1760=1799
period:- 18th century, late

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Carlisle Castle -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- 20.6.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large Carlisle Castle -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Gate house. -- 20.6.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large Carlisle Castle -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- 17.9.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large Carlisle Castle -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Postern. -- 20.6.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large Carlisle Castle -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Roman altar -- 20.6.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large Carlisle Castle -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Roman altar -- 20.6.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large Carlisle Castle -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Well, on the keep. -- 20.6.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large Carlisle Castle -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Rainwater head -- 20.6.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large Carlisle Castle -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Inner Bailey. -- 20.6.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large Carlisle Castle -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Keep. -- 20.6.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large Carlisle Castle -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Cannon. -- 20.6.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large Carlisle Castle -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Cannon. -- 20.6.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large Carlisle Castle -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Cannon. -- 20.6.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large Carlisle Castle -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Cannon. -- 20.6.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large Carlisle Castle -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Coat of arms, Elizabeth I -- 20.6.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large Carlisle Castle -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Halfmoon battery. -- 20.6.2008

hearsay The rebel or queen, Mary Queen of Scots, after escaping from Lochleven Castle, but being defeated at the Battle of Langside, fled to England to seek aid from her sister, Elizabeth I; even though she had thoughts of regaining the english as well as the scottish throne. She landed at Workington and was accomodated at Workington Hall, but before she could go further, was taken by the Deputy Governor of Carlisle and an escort of several hundred horsemen to imprisonment in Carlisle Castle. From 18 May to 13 July 1568 she stayed in what is known as Queen Mary's Tower, and was then taken off to Bolton Castle where she could be more securely held. Security at Carlisle was not so good. Her custodian, Sir Francis Knollys, knew she hoped to return to Scotland to continue her fight. Where Mary lodged:-
... with devices of towels ... at her chamber window or elsewhere in the night, a body of her agility and spirit may escape soon, being so near the border ...

notes castle, various periods, moats, gateways, curtain walls, keep, and towers
Perriam, D R & Robinson, J: 1998: Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria: CWAAS:: ISBN 1 873124 23 6; plans

button   hydrant plate, Carlisle (3)
button   Museum of the Border Regiment, Carlisle

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.