button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Christ and St Mary's Church
other name:- Armathwaite Church
locality:- Armathwaite
parish Hesket parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY50604620
10Km square:- NY54
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY5046

photograph

Christ and St Mary's Church -- Armathwaite -- Hesket -- Cumbria / -- 4.6.2010
photograph

Christ and St Mary's Church -- Armathwaite -- Hesket -- Cumbria / -- 4.6.2010

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY54, button to large image
ARMATHWAITE
linked with Ainstable
site name:- Kirkoswald Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Carlisle
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 125:-
...
... The chapel of ease is a rude picturesque edifice, in the patronage of the owners of the Castle, and incumbency of the Rev. W. Hudson. ...
person:- clergyman : Hudson, W
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
THE CHAPEL OF CHRIST AND ST MARY / / / HESKET / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 73866 / NY5059946200
courtesy of English Heritage
Chapel. Early C17 with early C20 restoration. Large blocks of dressed red sandstone, under graduated sandstone slate roof with coped gables and cross finials. 3-bay continuous nave and chancel, with west open bellcote; and C20 north vestry with flat roof and shaped parapets. C20 oak plank south door in hollow-chamfered surround. Restored round-headed windows. East window of 2 round-headed lights under hoodmould, also a restoration. Interior has C17 open timber roof of kingpost trusses. 2 hatchment panels of arms to the Milbournes of Armathwaite Castle. 1914 stained glass window by Morris & Co and one of 1915 by A.L. Moore & Son, London, after a painting by Peter Paul Rubens. West window signed Nicholson, London, 1937. Various C19 white marble wall plaques to occupants of Armathwaite Castle. Late C19 furnishings and fittings.

placename:- Chapel of Christ and St Mary
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY50594620
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photocopy Whitehead 1887:-
vol.9 p.481

imaget1009481.jpg
vol.9 p.482

imaget1009482.jpg
vol.9 p.483

imaget1009483.jpg
vol.9 p.484

imaget1009484.jpg
Whitehead, H: 1887: Church Bells in Leath Ward, part I: TransCWAAS: vol.9: pp.475-496

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Christ and St Mary's Church -- Armathwaite -- Hesket -- Cumbria / -- 2.8.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large Christ and St Mary's Church -- Armathwaite -- Hesket -- Cumbria / -- 4.6.2010

incumbents:-
Rickerby, Christopher 1705=1719
Kilmer, William 1719=1724
Wetherall, Samuel 1724=1728
Hesket, William 1728=1749
Kirkbride, William 1749=1763
Fleming, Josiah 1763=1765
Barton, Benjamin 1765=1788
Burn, Richard 1788=1822
Hunton, John Raper 1822=1838
Hudson, William 1838=1865
Kemble, Nicholas Freese Young 1865=1876
Scott, John Ankar 1877=1920

photographs
The background is for a married man, dexter black, Anthony William Clarke, Armathwaite Hall, died 1875, husband of Mary Pearman. The coats of arms are, quarterly, 1 and 4 Clarke:-
2 Greystoke:-
3 Williams:-
in pretence, quarterly 1 and 4 Pearman:-
2 perhaps Tothill:-
3 Elstob:-
Motto:-
tiny photograph, 
button to large Christ and St Mary's Church -- Armathwaite -- Hesket -- Cumbria / -- Hatchment. -- 9.3.2007

photographs
The black background is for a bachelor, Robert Milbourne, Armathwaite Castle, died 1782. The coat of arms is Milbourne:-
tiny photograph, 
button to large Christ and St Mary's Church -- Armathwaite -- Hesket -- Cumbria / -- Hatchment. -- 9.3.2007

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Christ and St Mary's Church -- Armathwaite -- Hesket -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass from William Morris workshop; left design by J Henry Durle, right by Edward Burne-Jones. -- 4.6.2010

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Christ and St Mary's Church -- Armathwaite -- Hesket -- Cumbria / -- Organ made by Jardine and Co, Manchester. -- 4.6.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Christ and St Mary's Church -- Armathwaite -- Hesket -- Cumbria / -- Organ, makers plate:-. -- 'JARDINE & CO., / MANCHESTER' -- 4.6.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Christ and St Mary's Church -- Armathwaite -- Hesket -- Cumbria / -- Mothers Union banner -- 2.8.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large Christ and St Mary's Church -- Armathwaite -- Hesket -- Cumbria / -- 9.3.2007
tiny photograph, 
button to large Christ and St Mary's Church -- Armathwaite -- Hesket -- Cumbria / -- 9.3.2007

hearsay Built 1402; by the 17th century it was a cattle shelter; rebuilt by Richard Skelton of Armathwaite Castle, about 1660. Richard Skelton also endowed it with 100 in his will.
One of the stained glass windows was made by the William Morris Workshops, 1926.

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.