button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Countess Pillar
parish Brougham parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
memorial; pillar; sundial
coordinates:- NY54602895
10Km square:- NY52

1Km square NY5428

photograph

Countess Pillar -- Brougham -- Cumbria / -- 23.12.2005
photograph

Countess Pillar -- Brougham -- Cumbria / -- 23.12.2005

old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 4 9)

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.

placename:- Countess Pillar
antiquity
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 134:-
... the Countess' Pillar, a lofty and handsome stone obelisk, erected by the good Countess of Pembroke in 1656, to commemorate her parting with her mother, the countess dowager; it is adorned with dials and armorial quarterings. ...
person:- : Pembroke, Anne, Lady
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 160:-
...
... the Countess pillar, erected by Anne countess of Pembroke, and adorned with arms, dials, &c. and a black obelisk on the top, and this inscription in brass:
person:- : Pembroke, Anne, Lady
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old text:- Clarke 1787

Guide book, A Survey of the Lakes of Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire, by James Clarke, Penrith, Cumberland, and in London etc, 1787 and 1789; and Plans of the Lakes ... 1793.
Page 3:-
...
We come now to the Countess's Pillar, which is twelve feet high, and built of hewn stone: it has a large quadrangular capital, each of whose faces answers to one of the cardinal points. On the East, West, and South, are dials, and on the North, the following inscription:
This money was secured to be paid out of certain lands at Brougham; but afterwards when those lands came into the possession of James Bird, he transferred the security to some lands at Yanwath.

placename:- Countess's Pillar
person:- : Pembroke, Anne, Lady
date:- 1787
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old map:- West 1784 map

A Map of the Lakes in Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire, now Cumbria, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, engraved by Paas, 53 Holborn, London, included in the Guide to the Lakes by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Westmorland, and in London, from the 3rd edition 1784, to 1821.
image Ws02NY53, button   goto source.
thumbnail Ws02NY53, button to large image

placename:- Ladys Pillar
county:- Westmorland

descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821)

Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P170, button   goto source.
Page 170:-
...
... In Whinfield-park are the Countess-pillar, ... a filial tribute of Ann, Countess Dowager of Pembroke, to the memory of her pious mother, Mary, Countess Dowager [of Cumberland; ...]
image WS21P200, button   goto source.
Addendum; Mr Gray's Journal, 1769
Page 200:-
... Passed ... Countess-pillar, ... crossed the Eden and the Eamont ... [to] Penrith ...
date:- 1769; 1778
period:- 18th century, late; 1760s; 1770s

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5NY52NW, button to large image
Ladys Pillar
pillar

placename:- Ladys Pillar
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

descriptive text:- Simpson 1746

The three volumes of maps and descriptive text published as 'The Agreeable Historian, or the Compleat English Traveller ...', by Samuel Simpson, 1746.
image SMP4P193, button   goto source.
...
W. of the Hawthorn Tree [Hart Horn Tree], and upon the old Roman Way is the famous Column, call'd the Countess's Pillar, the best and most beautiful Piece of its Kind in Britain: It is a fine Column of Free-stone, curiously wrought in Basse-Relieve, and in some Places painted: It has an Obelisk on the Top, several Coats of Arms, and other Ornaments in proper Places all over it, with Dials also
image SMP4P194, button   goto source.
on every Side, and a Brass Plate, with the following Inscription, in Capital Letters:
This Pillar was erected Anno 1656, by the Right Honourable ANNE, Countess Dowager of Pembroke, and sole Heir of the Right Honourable GEORGE, Earl of Cumberland, &c. for a Memorial of her last parting in this Place with her good and Pious Mother, the Right Honourable MARGARET, Countess Dowager of Cumberland, the 2d of April, 1616. In Memory whereof she has also left an Annuity of Four Pounds to be distributed to the Poor within this Parish of Brougham, every 2d Day of April for ever, upon the Stone Table hereby.

placename:- Countess's Pillar
date:- 1746
period:- 18th century, early; 1740s

descriptive text:- Defoe 1724-26

Travel book, Tour through England and Wales, by Daniel Defoe, published in parts, London, 1724-26.
... the famous column, call'd the Countess Pillar, the best and most beautiful piece of its kind in Britain. It is a fine column of free-stone, finely wrought, and enchas'd, and in some places painted. There is an obelisk on the top, several coats of arms, and other ornaments in proper places all over it, with dials also on every side, and a brass-plate with the following inscription upon it:
THIS PILLAR WAS ERECTED ANNO MDCLVI, BY THE RIGHT HONORABLE ANNE COUNTESS DOWAGER OF PEMBROKE, AND SOLE HEIR TO THE RIGHT HONORABLE GEORGE EARL OF CUMBERLAND, ETC. FOR A MEMORIAL OF HER LAST PARTING IN THIS PLACE WITH HER GOOD AND PIOUS MOTHER THE RIGHT HONORABLE MARGARET COUNTESS DOWAGER OF CUMBERLAND, THE SECOND OF APRIL, MDCXVI, IN MEMORY WHEREOF SHE ALSO LEFT AN ANNUITY OF FOUR POUNDS, TO BE DISTRIBUTED TO THE POOR WITHIN THIS PARISH OF BROUGHAM EVERY SECOND DAY OF APRIL FOR EVER UPON THE STONE TABLE HERE BY.
This Countess of Pembroke had a noble and great estate in this county, and a great many fine old seats or palaces, all which she repaired and beautified, and dwelt sometimes at one, and sometimes at another, for the benefits of her tenants, and of the poor, who she always made desirous of her presence, being better'd constantly by her bounty, and her noble house-keeping. But those estates are all since that time gone into other families.
This lady was one of the family of Clifford; ...

placename:- Countess Pillar
person:- : Clifford, Anne, Lady; Pembroke, Countess of
date:- 1724=1726
period:- 18th century, early; 1720s

old print:- Pennant 1773 (edn 1801)

Book, A Tour from Downing to Alston Moor, 1773, by Thomas Pennant, published by Edward Harding, 98 Pall Mall, London, 1801.
thumbnail PEN623, button to large image
Print, engraving, Anne Clifford's Column, ie the Countess PIllar, Brougham, Westmorland, drawn by Moses Griffith, engraved by S Sparrow, published by Edward Harding, 98 Pall Mall, London, 1801.
Tipped in opposite p.154 of A Tour from Downing to Alston Moor, 1773, by Thomas Pennant.
printed at bottom left, right, centre:-
Moses Griffith. Del / S Sparrow Sc. / ANNE CLIFFORD'S COLUMN / Pub June 1 1801 by Edw Harding 98 Pall Mall.

placename:- Anne Clifford's Column
date:- 1801
period:- 18th century, late

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
COUNTESS'S PILLAR / / / BROUGHAM / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 74213 / NY5461428957
courtesy of English Heritage
Monument/sundial, scheduled A.M. Dated 1656 with C20 restoration. Dressed pink sandstone partly painted. Octagonal column on chamfered base with moulded cap and cuboid block under shaped finial. The block has sundials on 3 faces with metal gnomons and painted faces; the front with Clifford arms and the misleading date 1654. The rear sundial has an inscribed plate: THIS PILLAR WAS ERECTED ANNO 1656 BY YE HON'BLE ANNE COUNTESS DOWAGER OF PEMBROKE AND DAUGHTER AND SOLE HEIRE OF YE RT HONO'BLE GEORGE EARL OF CUMBERLAND AND FOR A MEMORIAL OF HER LAST PARTING IN THIS PLACE WITH HER GOOD AND PIOUS MOTHER YE RT HONO'BLE MARGARET COUNTESS DOWAGER OF CUMBERLAND YE 3RD OF APRIL 1616. IN MEMORY WHEREOF SHE ALSO LEFT AN ANNUITY OF FOUR POUNDS TO BE DISTRIBUTED TO YE POOR WITHIN THIS PARISH OF BROUGHAM EVERY 2ND DAY OF APRIL FOR EVER UPON YE STONE TABLE HERE HARD BY. Set on a flagged base with C20 railings around it. Nearby is the alms table listed separately. Restored at the cost of 3,000 by English Heritage in time for the distribution of alms on 2 April 1986. See RCHM, Westmorland, 1936, p.62.

placename:- Countess's Pillar
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY54612895
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
ALMS TABLE BESIDE COUNTESS'S PILLAR / / / BROUGHAM / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 74214 / NY5461828957
courtesy of English Heritage
Alms table. 1656 same date as Countess's Pillar. 2 square flat slabs laid one on the other, that on top with chamfered underside. Lead filled holes held something on top. Used for the distribution of alms on 2nd April each year since 1656. Graded for group value with countess's Pillar.
district:- Eden
listed building -- alms table
coordinates:- NY54612895
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Countess Pillar -- Brougham -- Cumbria / -- 23.12.2005 -- 'THIS PILLAR WAS ERECTED ANNO 1656. BY YE R. HONOBLE. ANNE COUNTESS DOWAGER OF PEMBROOK &c. DAUGHTER & SOLE HEIRE OF YE RT. HONOBLE. GEORGE EARL OF CUMBERLAND, &c. FOR A MEMORIAL OF HER LAST PARTING IN THIS PLACE WITH HER GOOD & PIOUS MOTHER YE RT. HONOBLE. MARGARET COUNTES DOWAGER OF CUMBERLAND YE 2D. OF APRIL 1616. IN MEMORY WHEREOF SHE ALSO LEFT AN ANNUITY OF FOUR POUNDS TO BE DISTRIBUTED TO YE POOR WITHIN THIS PARRISH OF BROUGHAM EVERY 2D. DAY OF APRIL FOR EVER UPON THE STONE TABLE HERE HARD BY.'
tiny photograph, 
button to large Countess Pillar -- Brougham -- Cumbria / -- 23.12.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large Countess Pillar -- Brougham -- Cumbria / -- 23.12.2005

notes Cumbrian Sundials database, R Sylvester, 29.5.2008:-
Penrith / 3 miles east, by roadside of A66 / Countess' Pillar
made 1656
British Sundial Society reference number 1136

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.