button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Dalemain
other name:- Countryside and Bird Museum
other name:- Fell Pony Museum
other name:- Westmorland and Cumberland Yeomanry Museum
parish Dacre parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
park; building/s; museum; garden
coordinates:- NY479269
10Km square:- NY42

1Km square NY4726

photograph

Dalemain -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- 23.12.2005
photograph

Dalemain -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- 8.6.2006

old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 58 11)

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.

placename:- Dalemain
building/s
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2NY42, button to large image
Dalemain
block, building

placename:- Dalemain
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

old map:- Ford 1839 map

Map of the Lake District, published in A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, 1839.
thumbnail FD02NY42, button to large image
Dalemain
Building and park.

placename:- Dalemain
county:- Westmoreland
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 142:-
...
The northern road leads past Dalemain Hall, built in the style of architecture that marks the reign of William III, and seated on the Dacre, ...

placename:- Dalemain Hall
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

source:- Otley 1818

New Map of the District of the Lakes, in Westmorland, Cumberland, and Lancashire, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Jonathan Otley, engraved by J and G Menzies, Edinburgh, Lothian, Scotland, published by J Otley, Keswick, Cumberland now Cumbria, 1818; pblished 1818 to 1850s.
image OT02NY42, button   goto source.
thumbnail OT02NY42, button to large image

placename:- Dalemain

road book:- Cary 1798 (2nd edn 1802)

Road book, Cary's New Itinerary, by John Cary, published by G and J Cary, 86 St James's Street, London, 1798-1828.
thumbnail C38321, button to large image
page 321-322
About 3 Miles on l. of Penrith is Dalemain, Edward Hassel, Esq. ...

placename:- Dalemain
person:- : Hassel, Edward
date:- 1802
period:- 19th century, early; 1800s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 188:-
...
Near Dacre is Delamayn, the mansion-house of the Hassels, held of the barony of Greystock in cornage. ...

placename:- Delamayn
person:- : Hassel Family
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old text:- Clarke 1787

Guide book, A Survey of the Lakes of Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire, by James Clarke, Penrith, Cumberland, and in London etc, 1787 and 1789; and Plans of the Lakes ... 1793.
Page 23:-
...
At a little more than three miles [from Penrith] is Dalemain, the seat of he late Williams Hassell, Esq; an handsome new stone-building, situated under an hill, which effectually screens it from the North: from the house to the river are such beautiful pastures, that a late author calls it the Queen of the Vale of Emont. On the opposite side of the river are pleasure-grounds and gardens, connected with the house by an handsome wooden-bridge. Above the house, upon the banks of a small river called Dacre-Beck, are other gardens, calculated both for pleasure and utility.
Dalemain belonged to a family of the name of Layton for many generations, the most remarkable of whom was William Layton, who had twenty-three children by one wife. It was purchased of this family by Sir Edward Hassell, Knight, who was, in the year 1701, Knight of the Shire, and has continued in the family ever since.

placename:- Dalemain
other name:- Queen of the Vale of Emont
person:- : Hassell Family
person:- : Hassell, William
person:- : Hassell, Edward, Sir
person:- : Layton Family
person:- : Layton, William
date:- 1787
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old text:- Clarke 1787

Guide book, A Survey of the Lakes of Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire, by James Clarke, Penrith, Cumberland, and in London etc, 1787 and 1789; and Plans of the Lakes ... 1793.
Page 39:-
... Desmesne House, called here Main House: here, the lord of the manor (Mr Hassel) keeps his court baron for Barton, Martindale, Grisdale, and some other of his estates. ...

placename:- Demesne House
other name:- Main House
person:- : Hassel, Mr
date:- 1787
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old text:- Clarke 1787

Guide book, A Survey of the Lakes of Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire, by James Clarke, Penrith, Cumberland, and in London etc, 1787 and 1789; and Plans of the Lakes ... 1793.
Page 190:-
...
... In the 1741, a deer which laid a considerable way out of the forest was complained of by farmers: the keeper, therefore, sent his servant John Brown, with a fox-hound called Rockwood to fetch him into the forest or kill him. The dog soon roused the deer, and run him upwards of 20 miles, when he came to How-Town, (see Plate IV.) as if to take the Lake: He did not, however, but running along-side of it three miles, crossed it at the foot, and ascended Dunmallard. He then crossed by Soulby-Fell and run towards Dacre, where Mr Hassel met him with his whole kennel of hounds, and they pursued him to Hutton John, where he was harboured: Rockwood soon roused him, and drove him full in the face of Mr Hassel's dogs, but they were unable to take him. He then, (to use my informer's words,) "run thro' the whole pack like a hare through a flock of sheep," though he had followed the deer
Page 191:-
almost 30 miles, and in about two miles more took him, though not before he received a mortal wound from his horns: The deer was then brought to Dalemain, where he died in about three hours, and, when opened, was found to have almost all his suet melted.
person:- : Brown, John
person:- : Hassell, Mr
date:- 1787
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old map:- West 1784 map

A Map of the Lakes in Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire, now Cumbria, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, engraved by Paas, 53 Holborn, London, included in the Guide to the Lakes by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Westmorland, and in London, from the 3rd edition 1784, to 1821.
image Ws02NY42, button   goto source.
thumbnail Ws02NY42, button to large image

placename:- Dalemain
building/s
county:- Cumberland

descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821)

Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P151, button   goto source.
Page 151:-
...
ULLS-WATER.
Those that do not choose to go as far as Penrith, may, near the eighth mile-post,
image WS21P152, button   goto source.
Page 152:-
...
[Mr. Gray] '... Dalemain, a large fabric of pale red stone, with nine windows in front, and seven on the side. ...
image WS21P201, button   goto source.
Addendum; Mr Gray's Journal, 1769
Page 201:-
Oct. 1. A grey autumnal day, the air perfectly calm, and mild, went to see Ulls-water, ... to the right is Dalemain, a large fabric of pale red stone, with nine windows in the front and seven on the side, built by Mr. Hazel; behind it is a fine lawn surrounded by woods, and a long rocky eminence rising over them; a clear and brisk rivulet runs by the house to join the Eamont, whose course is in sight, and at a small distance. ...
person:- : Gray, Mr
person:- : Hazel, Mr
date:- 1769; 1778
period:- 18th century, late; 1760s; 1770s

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5NY42NE, button to large image
Dalemain / Hassell Esq.
house, with four chimneys

placename:- Dalemain
county:- Cumberland
person:- : Hassell, Mr
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

old map:- Bowen and Kitchin 1760

The house has got detached from its park or vice versa.
New Map of the Counties of Cumberland and Westmoreland, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, Emanuel Bowen and Thomas Kitchin, published by T Bowles, John Bowles and Son, Robert Sayer, and John Tinney, 1760; published 1760-87.
thumbnail BO18NY32, button to large image
Dalemain
circle, tower
thumbnail BO18NY42, button to large image
outline of fence palings, trees

placename:- Dalemain
date:- 1760
period:- 18th century, late; 1760s

descriptive text:- Simpson 1746

The three volumes of maps and descriptive text published as 'The Agreeable Historian, or the Compleat English Traveller ...', by Samuel Simpson, 1746.
image SMP4P189, button   goto source.
...
Dalemain, the Mansion House of Edward Hassel, Esq; held of the Barony of Graystock in Cornage, by which Tenure the Possessors of these, and other Lands in the same Manor, are oblig'd, under the Penalty of forfeiting them, to give Notice of any Enemy's Approach by the sounding of an Horn, and to serve in the Wars against the Scots, marching thither in the Van, and returning in the Rear. ...
image SMP4P197, button   goto source.
... Dale-Main, Lady Hassel's. ...

placename:- Dalemain
other name:- Dale Main
person:- : Hassel, Edward
person:- : Hassel, Lady
date:- 1746
period:- 18th century, early; 1740s

old map:- Morden 1695 (Cmd)

Maps, Westmorland, scale about 2.5 miles to 1 inch, and Cumberland, scale about 3 miles to 1 inch, by Robert Morden, 1695.
image MD12NY42, button   goto source.
thumbnail MD12NY42, button to large image
Dalemain
Circle; ring of fence palings, N of the circle.

placename:- Dalemain
county:- Cumberland
date:- 1695
period:- 17th century, late; 1690s

old map:- Morden 1695 (Wmd)

Maps, Westmorland, scale about 2.5 miles to 1 inch, and Cumberland, scale about 3 miles to 1 inch, by Robert Morden, 1695.
image MD10NY52, button   goto source.
thumbnail MD10NY52, button to large image
Dalemane
Circle.

placename:- Dalemane
county:- Cumberland
date:- 1695
period:- 17th century, late; 1690s

old map:- Jansson 1646 -- probably relevant

Map, Cumbria et Westmoria, or Cumberland and Westmorland, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, by John Jansson, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1646; published 1646-1724.
thumbnail JAN3NY42, button to large image
Dalemane
Buildings and tower in a ring of fence palings.

placename:- Dalemane
county:- Cumberland
park
date:- 1646
period:- 17th century, early; 1640s

old map:- Speed 1611 (Cmd)

Maps, The Countie Westmorland and Kendale the Cheif Towne, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, and Cumberland and the Ancient Citie Carlile, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by John Speed, London, 1611; published 1611-1770.
thumbnail SP11NY42, button to large image
Dalemane
circle, building, tower and ring of fence palings, W of Stainton

placename:- Dalemane
date:- 1611
period:- 17th century, early; 1610s

old map:- Speed 1611 (Wmd)

Maps, The Countie Westmorland and Kendale the Cheif Towne, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, and Cumberland and the Ancient Citie Carlile, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by John Speed, London, 1611; published 1611-1770.
thumbnail SP14NY52, button to large image
Dalemane
circle, towers

placename:- Dalemane
date:- 1611
period:- 17th century, early; 1610s

old map:- Saxton 1579

image Sax9NY42, button   goto source.
thumbnail Sax9NY42, button to large image
Tower, symbol for a house, hall, tower, ring of fence palings, trees.
Dalemane

placename:- Dalemane
county:- Cumberlandia
house
date:- 1576
period:- 16th century, late; 1570s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
DALEMAIN / / / DACRE / EDEN / CUMBRIA / I / 73762 / NY4771226876
courtesy of English Heritage
Large country house. C15 with C16 additions, C17 alterations and extensive mid 1730's extensions, the initials E.H. over the entrance (Edward Hasell). Earliest parts of calciferous sandstone rubble with pink sandstone rubble extensions and flush quoins. C18 parts of pink sandstone ashlar with rusticated pilasters, string course, open-balustraded parapet and V-jointed quoins, all on moulded plinth. C18 lead downspouts. Graduated hipped greenslate roof with sandstone ashlar chimney stacks. 2-storey, 9-bay facade with wings built around a small courtyard, the rear range incorporating the original house. Facade has central panelled doors in fluted-pilaster pedimented doorcase. Sash windows with glazing bars in stone architraves with false keystones. The 2 end bays at either side are divided by pilasters. Left return wall has 2 bays of similar sash windows; the 5-bay wing has sash windows in stone surrounds. The right return wall has 2 bays similar to the facade, then the 2-bay wing which is carried up to full parapet height for 3 1/2 storeys, with small and large sash windows in stone surrounds. The original house is of 2 or 3 builds, the walls raised to form a uniform parapet in the C18. The central bays are a C15 hall adjoined by what has been interpreted as a tower, but appears to be an integral part of the hall range exhibiting similar C15 features and wall thicknesses. Left C17 chamfered-surround doorway under a large C17 cross-mullioned window. 2- and 3-light stone-mullioned windows, all under hoodmoulds, continuous on lower floor, broken on the upper floor by an C18 sash window beside a blocked 2-light window retaining its hoodmould. Central large chimney stack projects from the parapet, off-set on its right side for its full height. Further sash windows with glazing bars in C18 surrounds between chimney stack and staircase windows, which are in chamfered surrounds. The lowest one is 2-light and between these windows is a cross-and-circle vent stone. The far right 2 bays are part of the C18 wing; the far left bay is a C16 extension with 2-light stone-mullioned windows under hoodmoulds, continued on the left return wall. The inside of the courtyard shows the original front wall of the hall range now with a central late C17 bolection-moulded doorway and sash windows with glazing bars in C18 stone surrounds. The original windows of 2 periods are now blocked but traces remain. The interior has a broad C15 newel staircase and a smaller similar blocked staircase. Beamed ceilings, late C16 panelled rooms with moulded plasterwork. Remainder of the house has C18 features such as panelling, doors, ceilings and woodwork. See Country Life 14, 21 and 28 March 1952, pp.736-9, 820-4, 908-11.

placename:- Dalemain
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY47712687
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
STABLES AND BARN NORTH EAST OF DALEMAIN / / / DACRE / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 73765 / NY4773926947
courtesy of English Heritage
Stables and barn. Dated and inscribed over entrance E & JH 1738, with late C18 extensions. Mixed sandstone rubble walls with flush quoins, under graduated greenslate roof partly with coped gables and kneelers; brick chimney stack. 2 low 2-storey, 6-bay, parallel stable ranges, separated by a broad courtyard and joined on the 3rd side with a tall late C18 2-storey, 5-bay barn. Left stable range has 2 segmental-arched doorways and a smaller flat-headed doorway with dated lintel. 2-light flat stone-mullioned windows, some with mullions removed. Barn has irregular doorways and casement windows under loft doorways, and slit vents on 2 levels. Right stable range has irregular doorways and slit vents. The barn overhangs the stable range at either end and has no features which would indicate an earlier date than late C18. The date on the stables may give an indication of the date of the rebuilding of Dalemain, shortly after Edward Hasell's marriage to Julia Musgrave in 1735. Listed for group value with Dalemain.
district:- Eden
listed building -- stable; barn
coordinates:- NY47732694
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
FORMER BREWHOUSE ADJOINING TO REAR OF DALEMAIN / / / DACRE / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 73763 / NY4770426889
courtesy of English Heritage
Brewhouse now private house. Early C19. Pink sandstone ashlar, under hipped graduated greenslate roof with central ashlar chimney stack. Single storey, 2 bays, with lower left single-bay extension. C20 double doors, oak plank door and left and right sash windows, all in stone surrounds. Extension has segmental arch, now partly blocked, with C20 casement window. Right return wall has C20 window. Listed for group value with Dalemain.
district:- Eden
listed building -- brewery
coordinates:- NY47702688
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
GARDEN WALL ADJOINING TO REAR OF DALEMAIN / / / DACRE / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 73764 / NY4768326899
courtesy of English Heritage
Garden wall. Mid C18. Facings of red and pink sandstone ashlar with V-jointed quoins, with other walls of brick, all under flat moulded coping. High wall on 2 sides of the rear garden of Dalemain. Lean-to extensions on inner wall are not of interest. Listed for group value with Dalemain.
district:- Eden
listed building -- garden wall
coordinates:- NY47682689
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Dalemain -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- 8.6.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large Dalemain -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- In a window at St Andrew's Church, Dacre. -- 10.8.2012

hearsay Facade about 1740-49. pink grey ashlar stonework.

Longville, Tim & Corbett, Val (photr): 2007: Gardens of the Lake District: Lincoln, Frances (London)
: 2012: Cumbria Gardens 2012: National Gardens Scheme

hearsay John de Morville owned an older building in the 12th century; he was brother of Hugh who murdered Thomas a Beckett, The Layton Family had the house later. Since 1679 the house has been owned by the Hasell family.
The front door lock, made by George Dent, Appleby, was given by Lady Anne Clifford.

notes supposed tower and hall
Perriam, D R & Robinson, J: 1998: Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria: CWAAS:: ISBN 1 873124 23 6; plan

button   bridge, Dacre
button   Dacre Bridge, Dacre
button   Dalemain's Greek Fir, Dacre

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.