button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
place:- earthwork, Dunmallard Hill
site name:- Dunmallard Hill
parish Dacre parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
earthwork; religious house
coordinates:- NY46772463
10Km square:- NY42

1Km square NY4624

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 143:-
... Dunmallet, ... anciently crowned by a Roman station.
site name:- Dunmallet
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

old text:- Clarke 1787

Guide book, A Survey of the Lakes of Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire, by James Clarke, Penrith, Cumberland, and in London etc, 1787 and 1789; and Plans of the Lakes ... 1793.
Page 25:-
...
Upon the top of Dunmallard was a Monastery of Benedictines; and at place called Maiden Castle, behind the higher end of Sowlby Fell, was a convent of Nuns of the same order, the ruins of both of which may at this day be traced. These two houses had a parcel of land allotted to them in common, part of it lying in the manor of Dacre, and part in that of Water-Millock, but all within the parish of Dacre: the boundary begun at Dacre-Beck-foot, where it falls into the Emont, then followed Dacre-Beck till it meets Greeves-Beck; this it followed to a place called Red-Mire; from thence to Banks-Well; thence it followed the course of the water to Dob-Beck, and followed that to Ulswater; it then followed the course of Ulswater and Emont to Dacre-Beck foot.
person:- : Benedictine Order
date:- 1787
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821)

Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P154, button   goto source.
Page 154:-
ANTIQUITIES. Before you quit the top of Dunmallet, observe the vestiges of its former importance, in the remains of a Roman fort. An area of 110 paces by 37, surrounded with a foss, is yet visible, and stones of the rampart still peep through the grass. The well, that supplied the guard kept here, was but lately filled with stones. This fort must have been of great consequence in guarding the lake, and commanding the pass, and in maintaining a connection between the garrisons of Ambleside and Brougham, it being five or six miles distance from the latter, and nineteen from the former. There are also strong vestiges of a square fort on Soulby-fell, which communicates with this, and the camp at Whitbarrow
roman fort; roman site
date:- 1778
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

notes early 14th century pele tower, demolished
Perriam, D R & Robinson, J: 1998: Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria: CWAAS:: ISBN 1 873124 23 6; drawing

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.