button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Guildhall Museum
other name:- Guildhall, The
other name:- Redness Hall
MDA code:- CALMG
locality:- Carlisle
parish Carlisle city, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
museum
coordinates:- NY40035597
10Km square:- NY45

1Km square NY4055

Built as shops, workshops and home, by Richard de Redness, 1397; later used by the guilds.
photograph

Guildhall Museum -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- 19.4.2006
photograph

Guildhall Museum -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- 19.4.2006

old painting:-
thumbnail PR0828, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, Guildhall, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Edward Arthur 'Evacustes' Phipson, 1905.
View of The Guildhall with one side in bright sunshine, the other in deep shadow. Two figures to right of composition.
signed & dated at bottom left:-
Evacustes A Phipson 1905
date:- 1905
period:- 1900s

old drawing:-
thumbnail PR1123, button to large image
Drawing, Guildhall, Green Market, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Thomas Bushby, 1902.
View of the guildhall from the market square.
dated at bottom right:-
May 7. 1902
date:- 1902
period:- 1900s

old print:-
thumbnail PR1215, button to large image
Print, lithograph, The Trades' Guilds, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Matthew Ellis Nutter, engraved by Haghe, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1835.
In centre of composition stands the guildhall, decked with guild banners, ladies and gentlemen wearing eighteenth century dress walking by it or approaching the entrance. To right of composition stands a public house on the street corner with an ragged beggar taking alms from a lady who holds a boy by the hand.
One of a series of 17 copies of works by Robert Carlyle and published by Thurnam as Carlisle in the Olden Time
inscribed at bottom left on print:-
Drawn by M E Nutter from an Original Sketch
printed at bottom centre:-
THE TRADES' GUILDS.
inscribed at bottom right on print:-
On Stone C. Haghe

placename:- Trades' Guilds, The
date:- 1835
period:- 19th century, early

old painting:-
thumbnail PR1315, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, Guildhall, Carlisle, Cumberland, by John James Hodgson, about 1900.
Busy market square viewed from the lane beside the guildhall which stands to right of composition, a woman standing outside the entrance. To left, the scene is framed by a tall building upon which a gaslight is mounted.
date:- 1900
period:- 1900s

old print:-
thumbnail PR1359, button to large image
Print, lithograph, The Trades Guilds, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Matthew, Ellis Nutter, engraved by C Haghe, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1835.
In centre of composition stands the Guildhall, decked with guild banners, ladies and gentlemen wearing eighteenth century dress walking by it or approaching the entrance. To right of composition stands a public house on the street corner with a ragged beggar taking alms from a lady who holds a boy by the hand.
The work was executed as one of a series of 17 copies of works by Robert Carlyle published by Thurnam as Carlisle in the Olden Time
date:-
period:- 19th century, early

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
/ 5 AND 6 / GREENMARKET / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / I / 386762 / NY4003855976
courtesy of English Heritage
Formerly known as: Redness Hall GREENMARKET.
Includes: Nos.58 AND 60 FISHER STREET.
House (sometimes called Redness Hall), then Guildhall, now cafe with museum over. Documentary evidence suggests that the present building replaced an earlier structure which was burnt down in the fire that broke out in Carlisle on 4th May 1391 which also destroyed many other properties. The hall was probably constructed between 1396 and 1407 for Richard de Redness. An L-shaped, 3-storey, timber-framed building with 5 bays along Fisher Street and 3 bays on Greenmarket. Cumbrian slate roof laid to diminishing courses with one stack remaining at northern end of Fisher Street wing. The ground floor was probably open originally but it is now filled in with stuccoed walls and round-arched windows. The large timber posts are still evident and retain some of their decorative mouldings. The upper floors have moulded jetties and cornices. Only the posts are visible externally, the rest of the framing is hidden by rendering, together with weather-boarding on the first floor and medieval brick tile on the second floor. The framing of these floors is visible on the inside and consists of tall rectangular panels; those on the street side of the building are divided by a mid-rail and the lower half of these panels contain pairs of curved braces (rising from the tie-beam to a post or an intermediate stud). The framing of the cross-walls at first floor level has large concave braces (rising from the wall posts to the tie-beam) on each side of the building. The pattern on the second floor is slightly different, for the bracing on the street side consists of large convex/tension braces (rising from the tie-beam to the wall post). The opposite bracing is concave like the floor below. The infill of the panelling is mainly wattle and daub with medieval brick tile on the second floor. Some panels remain unrendered for display inside the museum. The original roof construction, although altered, still survives over the 5-bay Fisher Street section and consists of 4 crown posts. The crown posts are jowled on both sides and have a rectangular section. Part of the original collar plate survives with convex down-braces from post to tie and concave up-braces from post to plate. Although now hipped, the roof of this wing was originally gabled. The roof over the 3 bays of the Greenmarket wing appears to be a later replacement and consists of canted queen posts, clasped purlins and collared rafters. The purlins are clasped between the rafter and a canted or raked queen post which is jowled on the lower side. One of the trusses (which appears to be identical to the others) is clearly an insertion with a supporting post that is pegged onto the original timber framework. Documentary evidence suggests that these alterations to the medieval building, including the infilling of the ground floor, might have occurred between 1573 and 1662. Such a date for the queen post roof would be quite reasonable. The Greenmarket elevation has, on the first floor, Yorkshire sash windows with glazing bars and on the second floor sash and Yorkshire sash windows with glazing bars in brick reveals. Medieval gargoyles are plaster casts of originals in Carlisle Cathedral, first placed here in 1844; all except one on facade are 1978 replacements. Beside some windows are fixed hooks to support guild flags. Fisher Street elevation has ground floor 1988 shop windows; upper floor 2-light C15 cusped-headed window; plank-faced oriel with upper small casement windows with glazing bars. Other windows are casements and Yorkshire sashes.
INTERIOR: complete except for removal of some internal partitions and no original stairs. Most of the timber-framing and roof trusses are exposed. Bronze plaque on stairs states that this opened as a museum in 1978. Further details are given in the Guildhall Museum leaflet.
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY40035597
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Guildhall Museum -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Shoemakers' room. -- 17.9.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large Guildhall Museum -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Merchants' room. -- 17.9.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large Guildhall Museum -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Weights and measures -- 17.9.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large Guildhall Museum -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Dishevelled loom in the Weavers' room. -- 17.9.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large Guildhall Museum -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Weavers' banner -- 17.9.2013

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Guildhall Museum -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Roof beams. -- 17.9.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large Guildhall Museum -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Roof beams. -- 17.9.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large Guildhall Museum -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Timber framed wall. -- 17.9.2013

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.