button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Armathwaite Nunnery
other name:- Nunnery, The
locality:- Nunnery
parish Ainstable parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
building/s; religious house; nunnery
coordinates:- NY53684287
10Km square:- NY54

1Km square NY5342

source:- OS County Series (Cmd 40)

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
Site of Armathwaite Nunnery

placename:- Armathwaite Nunnery
date:- 1867=1868
period:- 19th century, late; 1860s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 191:-
...
Nunnery in Ainstable parish was a small house of Benedictine nuns, founded by William Rufus a.r. 2. At the dissolution here were only a prioress and three nuns, and their ample revenues were reduced to £.18. 18s. per annum. It was granted to William Graham, and passed by exchange to the Aglionbys present owners. On the head of a bed called the Nun's bed, is the rude inscription. Pl.X. fig.8.
person:- : Benedictine Order
person:- : William Rufus
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

descriptive text:- Nicolson and Burn 1777

Book, History and Antiquities of the Counties of Westmorland and Cumberland, 2 volumes, by Joseph Nicolson and Richard Burn, published by W Strahan and T Cadell, Strand, London, 1777. (Or reprint 1976)
thumbnail BMZ74, button to large image
Upon a bedhead at Nunnery, called the nun's bed, is this inscription;

placename:- Nunnery
date:- 1777
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

map:- see:- : 1954: Monastic Britain: Ordnance Survey

nuns
person:- : Benedictone Order

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
THE NUNNERY / / / AINSTABLE / EDEN / CUMBRIA / I / 73441 / NY5372642849

placename:- Nunnery, The
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY53724284
person:- : Benedictine Order
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
STABLE BLOCK TO NORTH WEST OF THE NUNNERY / / / AINSTABLE / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 73442 / NY5372442878
district:- Eden
listed building -- stable
coordinates:- NY53724287
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
SUMMER HOUSE SOUTH OF THE NUNNERY / / / AINSTABLE / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 73443 / NY5366742386
courtesy of English Heritage
Summer House. Early C19, incorporating early C15 features, C20 roof. Sandstone rubble walls, carved red sandstone panels; timber roof with asphalt covering. Small open fronted building with wooden seats inside. Rear wall has 8 panels of coats of arms, 5 of which are thought to have come to The Nunnery in 1778 from a tomb to the Denton family in St Cuthbert's Church, Carlisle. Arms are thought to be of the Dentons, Skelton of Branthwaite conjoined with Copeland, Copeland conjoined with Denton, Curwen and one undetermined being badly weathered. See, Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, vol xvii, p.13-15.
district:- Eden
listed building -- summer house
coordinates:- NY53664238
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

hearsay Built by Henry Aglionby, 1715, but the rear of the building is said to include parts of a Benedictine nunnery of the early 13th century.

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.