button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Old Church House
other name:- Old Meeting House
other name:- Tirril Meeting House
locality:- Tirril
parish Sockbridge and Tirril parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
meeting house; quaker meeting
coordinates:- NY50112666
10Km square:- NY52

1Km square NY5026

photograph

Old Church House -- Tirril -- Sockbridge and Tirril -- Cumbria / -- 1.10.2011
photograph

Old Church House -- Tirril -- Sockbridge and Tirril -- Cumbria / -- Date stone:- -- '17 33' -- 1.10.2011

old photograph:- Bell 1880s-1940s

thumbnail HB0747, button to large image
Photograph, black and white, Friends' Meeting House, Tirril, Sockbridge and Tirril, Westmorland, by Herbert Bell, photographer, Ambleside, Westmorland, 1890s.
Now a house called Old Church House.
stamped at reverse:-
HERBERT BELL / Photographer / AMBLESIDE
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late

old map:- Backhouse 1773

Map of the Meetings belonging to the Quarterly Meetings of Lancaster, Westmorland, Cumberland, Northumberland, Durham and York, scale about 9 miles to 1 inch, by James Backhouse, engraved by Thomas Kitchin, published by James Backhouse, Darlington, Durham, 1773.
thumbnail BKH2Strc, button to large image
labelled:-
Terril / 0.5
meeting day Thursday

other name:- Terril meeting
locality:- Terril
locality:- Strickland
county:- Westmoreland
date:- 1773
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

source:- see:- : : Quaker Administrative History

TIRRIL, Westm, after 1974 Cumbr ... NY501266
1668-1862 ... Strickland MM

placename:- Tirril Meeting House
locality:- Strickland Monthly Meeting
coordinates:- NY501266

drawing:- Butler 1978

courtesy of David Butler
Quaker Meeting Houses of the Lake Counties by David M Butler, published by the Friends Historical Society, 1978; ISBN 0 85245 128 8 (pbk)
thumbnail PR1522, button to large image

placename:- Tirril Meeting House
locality:- Stickland Monthly Meeting
date:- 1978
period:- 1970s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
OLD MEETING HOUSE / / A592 / SOCKBRIDGE AND TIRRIL / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 74580 / NY5010626667
courtesy of English Heritage
Quaker Meeting House now private house. 1731 but dated 1733 over entrance. Painted roughcast walls, under graduated greenslate roof with painted roughcast chimney stack. Single storey, 3 bays. Off-centre gabled stone porch with plain boarded door in painted stone surround. Sash windows with glazing bars in painted stone surrounds, the centre window a larger casement; some surrounds retain their shutter hinge brackets. Interior: has its original panelled partition. See D. Butler, Quaker Meeting Houses of the Lake Counties, 1978, pp90-3, where he says the Meeting House was first used 3 February 1731 and suggests the porch was added 2 years later and hence the date over the entrance. Rear outshut is not of interest.

placename:- Old Meeting House
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY50102666
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Old Church House -- Tirril -- Sockbridge and Tirril -- Cumbria / -- 1.10.2011 -- Burial ground.
tiny photograph, 
button to large Old Church House -- Tirril -- Sockbridge and Tirril -- Cumbria / -- 1.10.2011 -- Grave stone

Butler 1978

hearsay This was a meeting house in 1731; now a private house.

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.