button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
place:- Banna
place:- Camboglanna
place:- Birdoswald Roman Fort
site name:- Hadrian's Wall
locality:- Birdoswald
parish Waterhead parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
roman fort; building/s -- museum
coordinates:- NY61506626
10Km square:- NY66

1Km square NY6166

photograph

roman fort, Birdoswald -- Hadrian's Wall -- Birdoswald -- Waterhead -- Cumbria / -- East gate. -- 21.3.2008
photograph

roman fort, Birdoswald -- Hadrian's Wall -- Birdoswald -- Waterhead -- Cumbria / -- Pivot for one of the east gates. -- 21.3.2008

old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 12 12)

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.

placename:- Amboglanna
antiquity
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 115:-
of Denton and Lanercost. The antiquarian will prefer travelling from Lanercost to Gilsland, along the heights of the northern bank, as he will have an opportunity of examining the Roman Wall, more especially at Birdoswald, the Amblogana of the Romans, where the mass of the wall is visible, though its facings are gone.

placename:- Birdoswald
other name:- Amboglana
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 205:-
...
Burdoswald, in Lanercost parish, a very large and remarkable fort, at which more inscriptions have been found than at any other Roman station, was the AMBOGLANA of the Notitia, the station of the cohors I Elia Dacorum. Many of the stones found here having been brought over the river to Willoford, that place has without reason been supposed a station; for there are no such appearances. Ford and Worth are often confounded. Volurtium Raven. is on the altar Volantium. Of the inscriptions given by Mr. Camden the 3d, 7th, and 8th, are at Rookby, from Naworth, the first was at Naworth, Horsley's Cumb. xi. the 2d, if it was not a large low altar now in a corner of a house at Willoford, is lost; the 4th seems to be on an altar at Corby castle, Horsley's Cumb. xvi. and to be read Pro salute D N Maximi ac fortissimi Marii Aurelii Maximiani... aedificavit. The focus is very particular. The 5th is Horsley's Cumb. xxiv. p.259 at Naworth. The 6th was built up in the front of a house within the fort at Burdoswald. At Willoford were the altars, fig12, 13. Pl.XIV. with other stones that have the centurial mark, or are uninscribed. At Underhaugh, a house between Burdoswald and the Irthing, was fig.14. Pl.XIV. and within the fort, fig.15. and fig.11. Fig.1 Pl.XV. was in a garden or yard wall on the south side of the fort: fig.2. is Horsley's XIII. fig.3 his XII. fig.4 his XIV. Fig.6 Pl.XV. was on the front wall of the principal house at Murray, a village a quarter of a mile east from Burdoswald. The stone inscribed DADA is in a house in the fort: two others. Some centurial stones COH. viiii. were at Lanerton, a mile west from Burdoswald. Above 100 yards without the fort eastward in a kind of ruin were dug up two more altars, with inscriptions, communicated by Mr. George Smith to Gent. Mag. 1746, 538. engraved Pl.XV. fig.7, 8. They recite the Cohors I Elia Dacorum Postumiana.

placename:- Burdoswald roman fort
other name:- Amboglana
person:- : Smith, George; GS
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 226, Mr Horsley:-
...
"The fort of BURDOSWALD stands upon a large plain, at the head of a steep descent towards the river, having the out-buildings chiefly on the south-east. Severus's wall (which before it reaches the fort is in the third degree, though the ditch be only in the second at the most) forms the north rampart of this station; and Hadrian's vallum, which is lost near the fort, must have fallen in with the southern. The foundations of the houses within this fort are very visible. I measured the thickness of their walls, and found them to be about 28 inches, and the distance or breadth of the passage between the rows of houses or barracks to be no more than 32 inches. The ramparts about the fort are in the third degree, and the ditch in the second, excepting on the north side, where it is not so much. The foundation of the west rampart is distinct, and measured about five foot. There are regular entries visible on the north and south sides, opposite one to another, as also faint appearances of entries on the east and west. In the northern part of the station there seem to be the remains of a temple. The turrets in the south rampart on each side the gate are still very visible; and over-against the entry are the ruins of the praetorium, on which a house or two stand at present.
person:- archaeologist : Horsley, John
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old text:- Camden 1789

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 177:-
... on the wall Burd Oswald. Below this last, where the Picts wall crosses the river Irthing on arches, was the station of the cohors prima AElia Dacorum, at a place now called Willoford, as appears from the Notitia, and from several altars dedicated to Jupiter Optimus Maximus by the said cohort, of which I shall subjoin the following though almost defaced by time:

date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

descriptive text:- Simpson 1746 -- probably relevant

The three volumes of maps and descriptive text published as 'The Agreeable Historian, or the Compleat English Traveller ...', by Samuel Simpson, 1746.
image SMP3P7, button   goto source.
Page 1025:-
...
At Kirkby-Thore begins the old Causey called the Maiden Way, which runs twenty Miles from hence to Caer Vorran near the Picts Wall.

placename:- Caer Vorran
date:- 1746
period:- 18th century, early; 1740s

old map:- Stukeley 1723

The roman name belongs elsewhere.
Map of roman roads through Britain, scale about 55 miles to 1 inch, derived from the Antonine Itineraries, plotted by William Stukeley, 1723, published London, 1724.
thumbnail Stu1Cm, button to large image
Voreda / Caer voran

placename:- Voreda
other name:- Caer Voran
date:- 1723
period:- 18th century, early; 1720s

old map:- Horsley 1732

NB: Horsley's ideas are not all accepted today.
Map, Britannia Antiqua, by Johanne Horsley, 1732. (nb this is tentative data)
thumbnail HOR1Cm, button to large image
Amboglana / Bird Oswald

placename:- Amboglana
other name:- Bird Oswald
date:- 1732
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old print:-
thumbnail PR0314, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, gateway, Birdoswald Roman Fort, Cumberland, published by the Illustrated London News, 12 August 1882.
Illustrations of place visited by the Royal Archaeological Institute.
date:- 1882
period:- 19th century, late

old print:-
thumbnail PR0315, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, gateway, Birdoswald Roman Fort, Cumberland, published by the Illustrated London News, 12 August 1882.
Illustrations of place visited by the Royal Archaeological Institute.
date:- 1882
period:- 19th century, late

old print:-
thumbnail PR0316, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, figure found at Birdoswald Roman Fort, Cumberland, published by the Illustrated London News, 12 August 1882.
Illustrations of place visited by the Royal Archaeological Institute.
date:- 1882
period:- 19th century, late

text:- Rivet and Smith 1979

The roman fort at Birdoswald, Cumberland.

placename:- Banna
other name:- Camboglanna
other name:- Amboglanna
locality:- Birdoswald
county:- Cumbria
roman fort
coordinates:- NY6166

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large roman fort, Birdoswald -- Hadrian's Wall -- Birdoswald -- Waterhead -- Cumbria / -- South gate -- 21.3.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large roman fort, Birdoswald -- Hadrian's Wall -- Birdoswald -- Waterhead -- Cumbria / -- South gate. -- 21.3.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large roman fort, Birdoswald -- Hadrian's Wall -- Birdoswald -- Waterhead -- Cumbria / -- Ovens at the south gate, when guard chamber was converted to a bake house. -- 21.3.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large roman fort, Birdoswald -- Hadrian's Wall -- Birdoswald -- Waterhead -- Cumbria / -- Carving, Hercules and Jupiter, found 1821. -- 21.3.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large roman fort, Birdoswald -- Hadrian's Wall -- Birdoswald -- Waterhead -- Cumbria / -- Roman altar; inscribed:- -- 'DEO SANCTO / SILVANUS UE / NATORES / BANNIESS' -- 'to the god Silvanus. The 'uenatores, hunters of Banna, an irregular garrison in the 3rd century.' -- 21.3.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large roman fort, Birdoswald -- Hadrian's Wall -- Birdoswald -- Waterhead -- Cumbria / -- Greyware and samian ware excavated on site. -- 21.3.2008

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large roman fort, Birdoswald -- Hadrian's Wall -- Birdoswald -- Waterhead -- Cumbria / -- The house built by Henry Norman, 1858. -- 21.3.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large roman fort, Birdoswald -- Hadrian's Wall -- Birdoswald -- Waterhead -- Cumbria / -- Date stone:- -- 'HN / 1858' -- Henry Norman, 1858. -- 21.3.2008

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large roman fort, Birdoswald -- Hadrian's Wall -- Birdoswald -- Waterhead -- Cumbria / -- From Hutchinson 1794 map 2. -- 'AMBOGLANNA.'

hearsay It is suggested that this is where King Arthur fought the Battle of Camlen.

notes roman fort, later site of a tower, and a bastle
Perriam, D R & Robinson, J: 1998: Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria: CWAAS:: ISBN 1 873124 23 6; plan and illustration

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.