button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Uxelodunum
other name:- Hadrian's Camp
site name:- Hadrian's Wall
parish Stanwix Rural parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
roman fort
coordinates:- NY401571
10Km square:- NY45

1Km square NY4057

old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 23 3)

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.

placename:- Axelodunum
antiquity
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 192:-
...
Mr. Horsley fixes CONGAVATA at Stanwicks, on such proofs as cannot be controverted. Here is a plain area of a station and a gentle descent to the south, and the rising for the outbuildings, which the abundance of stones dug up prove to have stood here. Some of the stones answered to the description of an aqueduct. The ruins of the wall are very visible to the brink of the precipice.
...
Page 195:-
...
Over the river Eden is Stanwick, where Horsley places Congavata, on incontestible evidence. The Roman wall is very visible here. ...

other name:- Congavata
person:- archaeologist : Horsley, John
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 227, Mr Horsley:-
...
"STANWICKS, ... And then it is highly probable that Severus's wall has formed the north rampart of the
Page 228:-
station here, as it has generally done with respect to the other stations upon the wall. This situation will suit exactly well with those rules which the Romans observed in building these stations. For here is a plain area for the station, and a gentle descent to the south, and towards the river, for the out-buildings. And by all accounts, and the usual evidences, it is upon this descent, and chiefly to the south-east, that the Roman buildings have stood. Abundance of stones have been lately dug up in this part. I was told of some, which by the description of them resembled the stones of an aqueduct. ..."

person:- : Horsley Mr
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

text:- Rivet and Smith 1979

The roman fort at Stanwix, Cumberland. In the 4th century the garrison was the Ala Augusta Gallorum Petrianua Milliaria CR.

placename:- Uxelodunum
other name:- Axelodunum
other name:- Uxelodum
other name:- Uxelludamo
other name:- Uxelodiano
other name:- Axeloduno
other name:- Axdoduno
parish Stanwix Rural parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
roman fort
coordinates:- NY4057
person:- unit : Ala Augusta Gallorum Petrianua Milliaria CR

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.