button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Southey Works
other name:- Greta Mill
locality:- Keswick
parish Keswick parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
pencil works
coordinates:- NY263238
10Km square:- NY22

1Km square NY2623

photograph

Southey Works -- Keswick -- Keswick -- Cumbria / -- 3.4.2006
photograph

Southey Works -- Keswick -- Keswick -- Cumbria / -- Box of pencils:- -- 'Fine Cumberland Drawing Pencils. / JOGARTH & HAYES. / ENGLISH MANUFACTURE. / ...' -- 9.7.2009 -- courtesy of Keswick Museum.

old print:- Pearson 1900s

Guide book, Pearson's Gossipy Guide to the English Lakes and Neighbouring Districts, published by C Arthur Pearson, Henrietta Street, London, 1900s.
thumbnail PS1E05, button to large image
Print, halftone photograph, Pencil Works, Keswick, Cumberland, published by C Arthur Pearson, Henrietta Street, London, 1900s.
Messrs Hogarth and Hayes, Keswick Pencil Works, Southey Hill, Keswick, in an advertisement in the guide book.
On p.9 of Pearson's Gossipy Guide to the English Lakes and Neighbouring Districts.
printed at bottom:-
PENCIL WORKS, KESWICK. (p.154).

placename:- Keswick Pencil Works
person:- pencil mfr : Hogarth and Hayes
date:- 1900=1909
period:- 1900s

source:- Philip/Wilson 1890s

thumbnail PHW1Ad23, button to large image

placename:- Southey Hill Pencil Works
locality:- Southey Hill
parish Keswick parish, once in Cumberland
pencil works
coordinates:- NY2623
person:- pencil mfr : Hogarth and Hayes
date:- 1895
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

old advertisement:- Heywood 1906

Guide to Keswick and its Vicinity, in the Penny Guide Books series, published by Abel Heywood and Son, 56-58 Oldham Street, Manchester, and by Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent and Co, Ave Maria Lane, Paternoster Row, London, 1906.
thumbnail HW1A05, button to large image
Advertisement, for Hogarth and Hayes, Keswick Pencil Works, Southey Hill, Keswick, Cumberland, published by Abel Heywood and Son, 56-58 Oldham Street, Manchester, and by Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent and Co, Ave Maria Lane, Paternoster Row, London, 1906.
In a Guide to Keswick and its Vicinity in the Penny Guide Books series.

placename:- Keswick Pencil Works
person:- pencil manufacturer : Hogarth and Hayes
date:- 1906
period:- 1900s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Southey Works -- Keswick -- Keswick -- Cumbria / -- 7.4.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Southey Works -- Keswick -- Keswick -- Cumbria / -- 7.4.2011

hearsay Greta Mills, formerley used for carding and spinning wool, were leased to Richard Hogarth and Robert Hayes of Keswick, 8 March 1875, for 10 years at 60 per annum. They used the premises as a pencil mill. The 5 acres of land were known as Low Mill Banks and Beetholme.
The tenants in 1909 were George Hogarth and H T Pape, making pencils, and George Hogarth bought the 6 acres of land, now known as Low Goat and High Goat, 11 May 1909. The land was sold to Thomas Richard Hayes.
George Hogarth became insolvent. The pencil mill was sold to the firm of Hogarth and Hayes, 11 March 1911. The company directors were Thomas Richard Hayes and Joseph Milburn, George Hogarth company secretary. The company became insolvent and went into voluntary liquidation, 2 August 1912. The premises were purchased by Charles Greenwood, ironmonger, Keswick, 16 November 1912.
The Cumberland Pencil Co was created, 4 March 1916, partners Charles Greenwood, Fred Greenwood and Daniel Crawford Greenwood. They leased the premises from Charles Greenwood at 50 per annum. He bought the land from Herbert Tom Pape, paid off his mortgages, and finally conveyed both mill premises and land to the pencil company, 15 March 1920.
The company property, plant, stock and goodwill were sold to British Pens Ltd, 20 June 1920. British Pens sold Southey Works to the Cumberland Pencil Co, 6 January 1921; and there were various changes in land ownership, including dealings with Cumberland CC regarding bridge building, road improvements and river management, in the 1930s and again in 1963.
This factory is now out of use. The pencils are still made in Cumberland, at Lilyhall, Whitehaven, where a new factory oopened 2008.

button   Cumberland Pencil Museum, Keswick

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.