button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St Aidan's Church
other name:- Carlisle Church
locality:- Carlisle
parish Carlisle city, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY41065593
10Km square:- NY45
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY4155

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1ins2, button to large image
CARLISLE / ST. AIDAN WITH ST. ANDREW BOTCHERBY
United benefice with Christchurch, one parish.
site name:- Archdeaconry of Carlisle
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST AIDAN / / WARWICK ROAD / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 386907 / NY4106255935
courtesy of English Heritage
Church of England church. 1899 (dated on foundation stone), completed 1902, by CJ Ferguson. Quarry-faced red sandstone on chamfered plinth with stepped buttresses, string course, eaves cornice and solid parapets on aisles. Graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables and cross finial. PLAN: 6-bay nave/chancel under uninterrupted roof; west and south porches, aisles, west open bellcote, north-east vestry and south morning chapel.
EXTERIOR: west lean-to porch has central west-gable; north and south elliptical-arched doorways; plate tracery west window above. Aisles have 3-light traceried windows. Clerestory 3-light flat-arched windows. South chapel has low flat porch with pointed-arched door and 3-light flat-arched window; right canted turret; higher-level chapel windows which are 2-lights with cusped heads. 5-light plate tracery east window. North vestry projects at an angle from the north-east corner and joins with the Church Hall (qv). Beneath the east window is the datestone and set on a girder on the north wall of the chancel is a bronze bell, formerly at Highmoor House, Wigton, inscribed with bell founders name.
INTERIOR: early C20 fixtures and fittings; open timber roof. Pointed arches of red sandstone on alternating round and octagonal piers, one pier inscribed with subscribers names and amounts subscribed towards building cost. Further inscription on west wall THE TWO BELLS THE GIFT OF MRS BLANSHARD OF CAMERTON HALL WERE FIRST RUNG ON 1 JANUARY 1900 TO USHER IN THE NEW CENTURY. C20 stained glass in 2 aisles and in east window. Octagonal font with carved tracery panels. Original designs for church are in Cumbria County Record Office, Ca/E4/13166, approved 12 May 1899. A photograph in the Cumberland News (1982) shows the laying of the foundation stone on 8 September 1899. (Cumberland News: 8 March 1982).

placename:- Church of St Aidan
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY41065593
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.