button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St Andrew's Church
other name:- Dacre Church
locality:- Dacre
parish Dacre parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY45992663
10Km square:- NY42
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY4526

photograph

St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- 30.9.2005
photograph

St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- 30.9.2005

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY42, button to large image
DACRE
site name:- Penrith Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Carlisle
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2NY42, button to large image
cross, a church
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 142:-
...
... The church is a neat stone fabric dedicated to St. Andrew; it contains several monuments of the Hasell family; and on the north side of the altar-table is the effigy of a knight in armour. In the churchyard are four remarkable monuments, being the figures of bears, about five feet in height, sitting on their haunches, and clasping a rude pillar.
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 188:-
...
... The church [Dacre] is said to have been erected by the Dacres, instead of a mean one half a mile distant, which probably belonged to the monastery. In the chancel is a cross-legged knight in stone, and the windows are full of the arms of Dacre, single and quartering Vipont and Clifford.
person:- : Dacre Family
person:- : Vipont Family
person:- : Clifford Family
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW / / / DACRE / EDEN / CUMBRIA / I / 73747 / NY4600726642
courtesy of English Heritage
Parish Church. C12 with C13 additions,and restorations of 1810 and 1875. Red sandstone rubble walls with string course, the aisles of longer blocks of pink sandstone with buttresses and C19 red sandstone battlemented parapets. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finial. 3-storey square west tower; 3-bay nave with aisles; 3-bay chancel with north vestry. Tower has inscription over entrance STEEPLE REBUILT 1810 (with names of churchwardens). Over the west door is the reused head of a C13 2-light small window. 2-light bell openings under battlemented parapet with angle spouts. Nave has 2-light clerestory windows. South aisle has C13 doorway at left, the engaged columns removed and stonework above showing porch recess. C19 restored segmental- headed 2-light windows. North aisle has blocked C13 doorway and C19 restored 2-light windows. Chancel retains all of its C12 narrow round-headed windows and priest's doorway; one C13 inserted window. C19 3-light east window. C19 vestry has reused medieval stonework in tracery of its 2-light window. Interior has plain C12 round-headed tower arch. 4-bay aisles have pointed arches on octagonal and round piers. C17 open timber roof. Aisles have various C19 brass and white marble wall plaques. Door lock on C19 south door is inscribed and dated AP 1671 (given by Anne, Countess of Pembroke). C19 chancel arch. On a window sill is a fragment of a zigzag arch stone, probably from the original chancel arch. Chancel has C12 piscina. C18 and C19 wall plaques to members of the Hasell family of Dalemain; one to Edward Hasell by Chantrey 1830, a mourning female figure beside an urn. Red sandstone effigy of a knight, thought to be one of the Lords Dacre of nearby Dacre Castle. Step to vestry is reused medieval graveslab. Fragments of C9 and C10 carved cross shafts, are thought to have come from the nearby monastery mentioned by Bede and excavated 1982-85. C19 and C20 stained glass, some by Clayton and Bell. Late C17 altar rail on twisted balusters. See Phillipa J.F. Smith, A Short History of Dacre Parish Church, undated.

placename:- Church of St Andrew
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY46002664
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CARVED BEAR SOUTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW / / / DACRE / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 435591 / NY4603526631
courtesy of English Heritage
Upright carved bear, one of a group of 4. Medieval. Red sandstone; about 4 feet high. Probably in its original position at one corner of the medieval churchyard and thought to represent the third part of a 4-part story: the bear makes a vigorous attempt to dislodge the animal clinging to its back, by reaching over his shoulder with his right paw.
district:- Eden
listed building -- sculpture
coordinates:- NY46032663
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CARVED BEAR NORTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW / / / DACRE / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 435592 / NY4603026656
courtesy of English Heritage
Upright carved bear, one of a group of 4. Medieval. Red sandstone; about 4 feet high. Probably in its original position at one corner of the medieval churchyard and thought to represent the final part of a 4-part story: the bear has eaten its attacker and looks extremely satisfied.
district:- Eden
listed building -- sculpture
coordinates:- NY46032665
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CARVED BEAR NORTH WEST OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW / / / DACRE / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 73749 / NY4597226649
courtesy of English Heritage
Upright carved bear, one of a group of 4. Medieval. Red sandstone; about 4 feet high. It is thought that these 4 bears are in their original medieval positions at each corner of the churchyard, each showing part of a story: this bear is supposed to be asleep with its head resting on top of a pillar, but much of its head is now worn away. See Phillippa J.F. Smith, A Short History of Dacre Parish Church, p.9; Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Societv, old series. xi. pp.
district:- Eden
listed building -- sculpture
coordinates:- NY45972664
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
ALMS TABLE WEST OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW / / / DACRE / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 73748 / NY4597126628
courtesy of English Heritage
Alms table. C17 or C18. Red sandstone. Large flat slab, having the appearance of a table tomb set on 6 shaped pillars, but without inscription and instead a central brass sundial, with gnoman missing, inscribed WILLIAM PORTHOUSE, PENRITH, 1732-3. A similar alms table is found at Greystoke.
district:- Eden
listed building -- alms table
coordinates:- NY45972662
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CARVED BEAR SOUTH WEST OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW / / / DACRE / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 435590 / NY4596526608
courtesy of English Heritage
Upright carved bear, one of a group of 4. Medieval. Red sandstone; about 4 feet high. Probably in its original position at one corner of the medieval churchyard and thought to represent the second part of a 4-part story: a small animal, either a cat or a lynx, has jumped on to the bear's back. The bear's head is turned in an attempt to see its attacker.
district:- Eden
listed building -- sculpture
coordinates:- NY45962660
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- Bellringers beware. -- 6.7.2009

Dove data number of bells: 3
pitch of tenor: C
scale:-
3 notes; C major.
Rehung by Whitechapel Bell Foundry, 1983.
Tenor cast late 14th century; inscribed:-
SANCTE BARTHOLOMEE ORA PRO NOBIS
2 perhaps cast by John of Kirkham, York, 14th century; called the Blessed Mary Bell; inscribed:-
CAMPANA BEATE MARIE / JOHANNE DEKURKHAM ME FECIT
3 perhaps cast by WO, 1606; inscribed:-
WO / NO FORMAN SPECTES DNO SED SUPPLICE FLECTAS / CLAMITO TE TEMPLU QUOD VENERE DEU / TER MALE DOSSONUITU QUOTIDIE CECIDISTI / SUM PRECETU FIAS CORRIGE SANAVIAS / HF 1606
: 2008: Church of St Andrew, Dacre: Dacre PCC:: available in the church

photocopy Whitehead 1887:-
vol.9 p.487

image t1009487.jpg
vol.9 p.488

image t1009488.jpg
vol.9 p.489

image t1009489.jpg
vol.9 p.490

image t1009490.jpg
vol.9 p.491

image t1009491.jpg
vol.9 p.492

image t1009492.jpg
vol.9 p.493

image t1009493.jpg
vol.9 p.494

image t1009494.jpg
vol.9 p.495

image t1009495.jpg
vol.9 p.496

image t1009496.jpg
vol.11 p.127

image t1011127.jpg
vol.11 p.128

image t1011128.jpg
vol.11 p.129

image t1011129.jpg
Whitehead, H: 1887: Church Bells in Leath Ward, part I: TransCWAAS: vol.9: pp.475-496
Whitehead, H: 1889: Church Bells in Leath Ward, part II: TransCWAAS: vol.11: pp.127-151

notes
: 2008: Church of St Andrew, Dacre: Dacre PCC

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- 10.8.2012

incumbents:-
Appleby, Nicolas de 1296 (before)
Hercia, Herny de 1296
Burgh, William de 1328 (about)
Bower, William 1359
Louthberg, Walter de 1359
Stapleton, Peter de 1369
Orchards, William de 1370
Ingleby, John 1370
Longregg, Thomas 1530 (about)
Dawson, Rowland 1536
Brockbank, John 1571
Sutton, Richard, Sir 1574
Martin, William 1582
Wrae, Thomas 1591
Smith, Leonard 1645
Mawson, Robert 1702
Richardson, William 1742
Coope, William 1768
Moorhouse, Jonathan 1803
Stephenson, John 1813
Gibson, John 1850
Willliams, Richard 1852
Troutbeck, John 1859
Ace, Daniel 1864
Matthews, William A 1871
Cooper, Frederick 1877
Skinner, Robert 1879
White, John 1880
Burns, William H 1890
Hassell, Francis 1869
Frankland, Henry 1914

old print:- Calverley 1899

Notes on the Early Sulptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, edited by W G Collingwood, published for the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, by Titus Wilson, Kendal, Westmorland, 1899.
In the church,
Shaft of the Two Kings:-
thumbnail CV1079, button to large image
Lithograph by W S Calverley.
thumbnail CV1080, button to large image
Sketch by W G Collingwood.
date:- 1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

notes Described in:-
Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- Organ. -- 30.9.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- Organ, console, on the other side of the church. -- 30.9.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- Mothers Union banner. -- 10.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- War memorial. -- 10.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- Effigy of a crusader knight, pre 1320. -- 10.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- Lock on the south door. New door, 1875, fitted with a mortice lock and key given by Lady Anne Clifford Countess of Pembroke, 1671. The lock cover is inscribed:- -- 'AP 1671' -- 30.9.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- Lock on the south door, given by Lady Anne Clifford Countess of Pembroke, 1671. The lock cover is inscribed:- -- 'AP 1671' -- 6.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- Memorial to Anthony Parkin, died 1890. -- 6.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- Coat of arms on the memorial to Anthony Parkin, died 1890. -- 6.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- Memorial to John Troutbeck, d.1912. -- 10.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- Coat of arms, John Troutbeck, d.1912. -- 10.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- Dalemain, in the Sylvia McCosh window. -- 10.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- Fragments of viking cross shaft. -- 30.9.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- Fragments of viking cross shaft. -- 30.9.2005

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- South door. -- 10.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- South door, lock, 1875. -- 10.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- Memorial to Ann Armstrong, d.1790 -- 10.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- Memorial to Ann Armstrong, d.1790 -- 10.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- Memorial to Admiral Wauchope, inventor of the time ball. -- 10.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- 10.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Andrew's Church -- Dacre -- Dacre -- Cumbria / -- Iron gates to church, made by:- -- 'THOMAS SANDERSON : EAMONT BRIDGE : MAY 24 1822' -- 30.9.2005

Built on the site of a monastery mentioned by Bede, perhaps 12th or 13th century. Additions in 13th and 14th centuries, restoration 19th century.
: 2001: Church of St Andrew Dacre: Dacre PCC

3 cross slab grave covers; 2 in floor, 1 in buttress west end of south aisle.
Ryder, Peter: 2001: Cross Slab Grave Covers of Cumbria: Cumbria CC (Carlisle, Cumbria)

button   Dacre Bears, Dacre
button   Giant's Grave, Penrith
button   Giant's Thumb, Penrith
button   Penrith Parish Centre, Penrith
button   privy, Borrowdale
button   ring of bells, Dacre
button   ring of bells, Dent
button   ring of bells, Greystoke
button   ring of bells, Penrith
button   ring of bells, Sedbergh
button   ring of bells, Thursby
button   sundial, Dacre
button   sundial, Greystoke (2)
button   sundial, Kirkandrews on Esk
button   sundial, Penrith
button   sundial, Penrith (2)
button   sundial, Penrith (3)
button   sundial, Sedbergh
button   war memorial, Borrowdale
button   war memorial, Coniston
button   war memorial, Crosby Garrett
button   war memorial, Penrith
button   war memorial, Sedbergh

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.