button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St Barnabas's Church
other name:- Carlisle Church
locality:- Carlisle
parish Carlisle city, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY38095580
10Km square:- NY35
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY3855

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1ins2, button to large image
CARLISLE / ST. BARNABAS
site name:- Archdeaconry of Carlisle
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS / / BROOKSIDE / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 386642 / NY3809355806
courtesy of English Heritage
Parish church. 1935, to serve the Raffles Housing Estate; designed by John Seely and Paul Paget, built by Laing and Sons. Concrete with brick infill, rendered; Westmorland slate roof. Nave, chancel, south-east and north-east vestries and offices, narthex to west, transeptally-placed south tower. Structurally the main vessel of the church consists of 3 semicircular reinforced concrete arches supporting the roof wiich are expressed externally by gabled buttresses each containing a tall round-headed window; brick walling between pierced by 2 sets of 3 single square-headed lancets; two 3-light dormers set in Mansard-type roof. Tower with pyramidal cap, louvred bell-opening at eaves level and a single round-headed lancet over exposed sandstone door surround. Roof level of nave maintained over chancel; lower lean-to aisles (containing offices) with paired lancets, with 2 flying buttresses; round-headed clerestory windows. East end with raised brickwork cross containing roundel. Round-headed west window to nave over narthex with central doorway flanked by roundels set in recessed round-headed panels.
INTERIOR: ceiling between concrete arches canted with panelled board; principal windows set into arches. 3 arched recesses to west. Chancel with plaster canopies over the bishop's throne, sedilia and clergy seats contain general and direct lighting. Local sandstone lectern and pulpit in the form of ambones flank the chancel opening. Complete set of contemporary furnishings, oak choir stalls with curved ends, and moveable seats to nave. Velvet dorsal curtain.

placename:- Church of St Barnabas
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY38095580
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.