button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
www.dove.cccbr.org.uk
placename:- St Mary and St Bega's Church
other name:- Priory Church of St Bees
other name:- St Bees Church
other name:- St Bees Abbey
locality:- St Bees
parish St Bees parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NX96851210
10Km square:- NX91
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NX9612

photograph

St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- 16.11.2012
photograph

St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- 27.2.2008

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NX91, button to large image
ST. BEES
site name:- Whitehaven Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Westmorland
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
... Even the religious enthusiasm of monachism scarcely advanced within the shadow of the mountains, much less penetrated into their secluded dales. Furness, Calder, St. Bees, and Holme Cultram abbeys, are all in the open country. For a long period, indeed, the population must either have been extremely small, or their religious interests neglect-
Page xi:-
[neglect]ed; perhaps both might be the case. ...
Page 77:-
ABBEY OF SAINT BEES.
The Abbey owes its first foundation, according to tradition, to a holy woman called Bega, who came over from Ireland in the year 650. This house did not escape the barbarous ravages of the Danes, for we find William, brother of Ranulph de Meschiens, re-establishing it as a cell for a Prior and six Benedictine monks, dependent on St. Mary's in York. Another great benefactor was William de Fortibus, Earl of Albemarle. Its revenues at the dissolution were £149 19s. 6d. It was granted to Sir Thomas Chaloner, of York, but now belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale. The Abbey Church consists of a nave with aisles, used as the parish church, transepts, and choir, which has had a south aisle, and is at present fitted up for the Clerical Institution. The general style is early English, but the west front has a Norman door of imposing appearance, which is a plain bold specimen of that style, though much delapidated, from the nature of the stone and exposure to the sea blasts. The piers, five in number, that support the arches of the nave, are round, hexagonal, and clustered: this part is spoiled by the introduction of modern sash windows, quite out of character. The transepts, from the way in which they are appropriated, cannot well be examined. The interior arrangement at the east end of the choir is singular; three beautiful lancets rise from a string, the centre one being higher and
Page 78:-
wider, as is usually the case, and between each are two tiers of niches, one above the other, having clustered shafts and ornamental capitals, and a common dripstone runs round the whole. The north side of the choir is lighted by a series of lancets, having single shafts set on the sides, the interior shafts being plain, whilst the exterior are filleted. The tower, which rises at the intersection of the nave and choir with the transepts, is only a square in height; it has a modern embattled parapet, and a turret at the north-east angle. The choir and north transept are used as lecture-rooms for the Clerical Institution, and they are so fitted up as to prevent you from seeing their correct proportions. The library belonging to this establishment is not large, but select, and contains a beautiful full-length portrait of Dr. Ainger, presented by the students. There are some pretty views of the Abbey and parsonage from the meadows on the south, and the heights in descending to the village; but the best display of its architectural features is from the door of the grammar-school of Archbishop Grindal. The inscription over the door is laconically appropriate,

placename:- St Bees Abbey
other name:- Abbey of St Bees
other name:- Clerical Institution
person:- : St Bega
person:- : Meschines, William de
person:- : Benedictine Order
person:- : Fortibus, William de
person:- : Chaloner, Thomas, Sir
person:- : Lonsdale, Earl of
person:- : Ainger, Dr
person:- : Grindal, Archbishop
event:- : Dissolution, The
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 180:-
...
"St. Beges in Coupland hard on the west side a celle longing to St. Mary's abbey at York." Bega is said to have founded a nunnery here A.D. 650, which being destroyed by the Danes was refounded for Benedictine monks by Ranulphus de Meschines earl of Cumberland, and valued at £.143. The conventual church, now parochial, has a west door adorned like that of Ifley c. Oxon. The chancel, which is ruined, has narrow lancet windows. In the church is a wooden figure of Anthony last lord Lucy of Egremont. In the yard are two battered figures of knights. ...
person:- : St Bega
person:- : Danes
person:- : Meschines, Ranulph de
person:- : Lucy, Anthony; Egremont, Lord of
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

map:- see:- : 1954: Monastic Britain: Ordnance Survey

monks
person:- : Benedictine Order

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST BEGA / / B5345 / ST BEES / COPELAND / CUMBRIA / I / 76164 / NX9688312118
courtesy of English Heritage
Benedictine Priory, now Parish Church. Present building dates from re-foundation c1120. Unroofed at Dissolution, re-roofed 1611 for use as Parish Church; further restoration 1622. Extensively remodelled and restored by Butterfield in C19: 1855, transepts re-roofed; 1858, tower repaired; 1881 aisles re-roofed. Sandstone blocks on plinth (moulded in places); buttresses added at west end. North transept arm retains parts of original arched corbel table, and string below windows. Welsh slate roofs. Nave with aisles, transept, crossing tower, and chort chancel. Original Romanesque west door of 4 semi-circular orders (under hoodmould) carried between ornamentally carved cushion capitals. 3 outer orders carved with chevron interspersed with heads; only one of original jamb shafts survives; inner order plain, with compound respond. Late C20 fittings to doors. C19 lancet to end of each aisle and 3 above door. C19 two- and three-light aisle windows, restored two- and three-light C17 clerestory windows. Traceried C19 chancel windows. Interior: 6-bay nave arcade carried on alternating cylindrical/octagonal piers (except central north, clustered kneeled shafts); pointed, moulded arches with continuous hoodmould. Clerestory windows over spandrels. Pointed, moulded crossing arches carried on keeled responds. C19 walls, pierced with large cinquefoils, separate aisles from transept. Chancel extends into crossing. Polychromed blind arcading to east wall, Minton floor tiles. Painted cast-iron alter tail; ornate 1886 painted cast/wrought iron chancel screen. Medieval bracket piscina in north transept arm. Numerous inscribed/carved medieval grave slabs in north transept arm and east end of south aisle. Stone set in south wall at west end of aisle inscribed and dated 1611, said to commemorate repairs carried out by churchwardens. Old and New Testament cycles in C19 stained-glass windows. Octagonal marble font in south aisle given by contractor in 1858. C19 octagonal wooden pulipt.

placename:- Church of St Mary and St Bega
district:- Copeland
listed building
coordinates:- NX96881211
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
LYCH GATE TO NORTH EAST OF PRIORY CHURCH CHANCEL / / B5345 / ST BEES / COPELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 76170 / NX9692012149
courtesy of English Heritage
Lych gate, early C20 in Gothic style. Snecked rubble with quoins. Graduated slate roof with stone copings and kneelers; apex cross over east entrance. Single opening with continuous jamb moulding and 4-centred head to north, east, and west sides; double wooden gate in east entrance. Included for group value.
district:- Copeland
listed building -- lych gate
coordinates:- NX96921214
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
LIBRARY TO SOUTH EAST OF PRIORY CHURCH CHANCEL / / B5345 / ST BEES / COPELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 76171 / NX9691912114
district:- Copeland
listed building -- library
coordinates:- NX96911211
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
WALL, TO WEST OF PRIORY CHURCH NAVE, INCORPORATING MEDIEVAL CROSS AND LINTEL / / B5345 / ST BEES / COPELAND / CUMBRIA / I / 76166 / NX9685612110
courtesy of English Heritage
Wall; C19 incorporating medieval fragments. Snecked rubble c7 ft high; flat coping. Full-height semicircular niche to centre with monolithic stone wheel-head cross c3 ft high of (early?) medieval date, probably removed to present position from Chapel How, c1 mile to north-east of St Bees on B5345 where it served as resting (or corpse) cross. Lintel spanning niche placed there in 1868 following its discovery embedded in late C12 south aisle wall. Various sources give dates from C10 to C12; shape and decoration suggest Irish/Norse influence and possible pre-Conquest date. Single stone with triangular upper surface. Interlace and knots to either side of central scene showing wyvern (no hind legs and 2nd, smaller head to end of tail) with head turned over shoulder, confronting warrior armed with sword, shield, and conical helm; said to depict St George, or St Michael (latter proposed as it was once thought to have come from St Michael's chapel, Rottington although little is known of this site), but the scene may be from Norse mythology rather than Christian.
district:- Copeland
listed building
coordinates:- NX96851211
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

old drawing:-
thumbnail PR1144, button to large image
Drawing, St Bees Priory NW view, Cumberland, by John Coney, 1822.
inscribed & signed & dated at centre top:-
St Bees Priory, N.W. Cumberland. S Coney 1822

placename:- St Bees Priory
date:- 1822
period:- 19th century, early

old print:-
thumbnail PR1100, button to large image
Print, Cross in the Churchyard of St Bees, Cumberland, by Samuel Bough, engraved by Lizars, Edinburgh, published by S Jefferson, Carlisle, Cumberland, about 1842.
Shaft of a carved stone cross on shallow plinth.
inscribed at bottom centre on print:-
S. Jefferson Carlisle 1842. Lizars sc
inscribed at bottom right on print:-
CROSS IN THE CHURCH-YARD OF ST BEES.
date:- 1842
period:- 19th century, early

old painting:-
thumbnail PR0849, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, The Dragon Lintel, St Mary and St Bega's Church, St Bees, Cumberland, by William Gershom Collingwood, 1899.
Study of lintel carved in high relief with St George standing behind dragon in central section with areas of elaborate interlacings to either side. The lintel dates from 12th century?
Drawn to illustrate Notes on the Early Sculptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carlisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, published by T Wilson, Kendal 1899; opposite p.259.
inscribed & dated & initialled at bottom right:-
St. Bees June 3 1899 W.G.C.
person:- : St George
date:- 3.6.1899
period:- 19th century, late

old drawing:-
thumbnail PR0841, button to large image
Drawing, Spiral Shaft, cross shaft at St Mary and St Baga's Church, St Bees, Cumberland, by William Gershom Collingwood, 1899.
Sketch of the four sides of a cross shaft bearing carved decoration of debased plaiting, key pattern, scroll work and chain pattern respectively. The cross shaft dates from about AD 900.
Drawn to illustrate Notes on the Early Sculptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carlisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, published by T Wilson, Kendal 1899; opposite p.260.
inscribed at bottom centre:-
St Bees, ['spiral' shaft]
initialled & dated at bottom right:-
W.G.C. 1899
date:- 1899
period:- 19th century, late

old drawing:-
thumbnail PR0837, button to large image
Drawing, The Standing Cross, at St Mary and St Bega's Church, St Bees, Cumberland, by William Gershom Collingwood, about 1899.
Sketch of the four sides of a cross shaft. The left side bears carved decoration of debased plaiting and a dragon. The two slimmer sides bear decoration of figure of eight plaits whilst the final side has a large double strand plait, the centre of design being filled with two dragons as terminations of interlaced bands.
Drawn to illustrate Notes on the Early Sculptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carlisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, published by T Wilson, Kendal 1899; opposite p.260.
date:- 1899
period:- 19th century, late

old print:- Calverley 1899

Notes on the Early Sulptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, edited by W G Collingwood, published for the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, by Titus Wilson, Kendal, Westmorland, 1899.
Opposite the west door,
a lintel, hardly a tympanum:-
thumbnail CV1137, button to large image
Sketch by W G Collingwood.
In the churchyard:-
thumbnail CV1138, button to large image
thumbnail CV1139, button to large image
Sketches by W G Collingwood.
In the church:-
thumbnail CV1140, button to large image
thumbnail CV1141, button to large image
Sketches by W G Collingwood.
date:- 1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

source:- Dove 2009

diocese:- Carlisle Diocese
locality:- St Bees
coordinates:- NX969121

Dove data number of bells: 8
weight of tenor: 13 cwt 0 qtr 10 lb (1466lbs)
pitch of tenor: F
scale:-
F, G, A, B flat, C, D, E, F
Complete octave; intervals TTSTTTS; F major.
Bells cast by Charles and George Mears, 1857.
Dove 2009
Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Cross slab. -- 27.4.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Cross slab. -- 27.2.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Cross slab. -- 27.2.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- 16.11.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Cross slab. -- 11.5.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Cross slab. -- 27.4.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Cross slab. -- 27.4.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- 16.11.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- 16.11.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- 16.11.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Cross slab. -- 27.4.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Cross slab. -- 27.4.2011

notes Described in:-
Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Door. -- 11.5.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Door. -- 11.5.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Organ by Henry Willis and Son, London, 1899. -- 11.5.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Organ by Henry Willis and Son, London, 1899. -- 11.5.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Screen. -- 16.11.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Mothers Union banner. -- 16.11.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Effigy. -- 27.2.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Effigy. -- 27.2.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- 2.1.2007
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Grave slab, Johanna de Lucy, died age 4, 15th century. -- 16.11.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Cross shaft. -- 16.11.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Cross at west door. -- 27.2.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- Dragon lintel, opposite west door. -- 27.2.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- 2.1.2007

photographs
Italian sailing ship Luigi Olivari on her way to Silloth with grain from Philadelphia, was shipwrecked in a snow storm, off the coast near Braystones, 1879. The wreck was spotted by Maria McGill, station mistress at Braystones Station. The crew of eleven, and the pilot, Henry Legg from Cornwall, were drowned.
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- gravestone, crew of the Luigi Olivari. -- 27.4.2011

photographs
An unknown sailor was washed ashore at Braystones, Christmas Day, 1901. He was identified from a newspaper advertisment as William Carter Ivey, from Padstow, captain of the schooner WRT of Truro. He and two of his crew are buried here.
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary and St Bega's Church -- St Bees -- St Bees -- Cumbria / -- gravestone, Captain Ivey. -- 27.4.2011

hearsay St Bega requested land for a chapel from Lord Egremont. He told her she could have as much land as was covered with snow the next day; it was the middle of summer. Next day it showed, and St Bega had her land.

button   cross, St Bees
button   ring of bells, St Bees
button   sundial, St Bees
button   war memorial, St Bees

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.