button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St Cuthbert's Church
other name:- Carlisle Church
locality:- Carlisle
parish Carlisle city, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY39955583
10Km square:- NY35
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY3955

photograph

St Cuthbert's Church -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- 30.10.2007
photograph

St Cuthbert's Church -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- 30.10.2007

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 105:-
...
The Church of St. Cuthbert is a plain modern building. ...

placename:- St Cuthbert's Church
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 194:-
... here is now another mean parish church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, with an altar-monment of the Dentons of the 15th century.
... When the steeple ... was rebuilt in the reign of Elizabeth there was found a large parcel of small silver coins to the quantity of near a Winchester bushel, called St. Cuthbert's pence, and supposed to have been an oblation at the first building. ...

date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

descriptive text:- Simpson 1746

The three volumes of maps and descriptive text published as 'The Agreeable Historian, or the Compleat English Traveller ...', by Samuel Simpson, 1746.
image SMP4P178, button   goto source.
...
There are but two Parish Churches in this City, St. Mary's and St. Cuthbert's: ...

placename:- St Cuthbert's Church
date:- 1746
period:- 18th century, early; 1740s

old painting:-
thumbnail PR1128, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, St Cuthbert's Tower, St Cuthbert's Church, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Thomas Bushby, 1917.
View of St Cuthbert's Tower from inside the grounds of the cathedral. The tower is seen rising above the outhouse of a sandstone building to left of composition. In centre foreground stands its wall within which is a green gate.
signed & dated at bottom right:-
Thos. Bushby 1917
inscribed at reverse:-
St. Cuthbert's Tower. Carlisle Autumn 1917. Thos. Bushby. Victoria Lodge Currock Carlisle
date:- 1917
period:- 1910s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Stained galss, Latvia. -- 17.9.2012

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT WITH ST MARY / / ST CUTHBERTS LANE / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 386848 / NY3996455848
courtesy of English Heritage
Church of England church. Dated 1778 on weather vane, built by Messrs Hayton, Lowthian and Lowrey on a medieval site. Coursed red sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth (all dressings of calciferous sandstone), with V-jointed quoins, string course, cornice and solid parapets. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables; lead cupola on tower. 8-bay nave with 3-storey west tower/porch and low single-bay chancel. Projecting tower has central C20 replacement west doors with patterned fanlight in quoined surround; similar surround sash window above with glazing bars and a similar vented belfry over keyed oculus. South face of nave has left and right plank doors in quoined surround. Leaded casement windows on 2 levels, those on ground floor with stained glass, all in stone surrounds. North face has had doorways similar to south face but one is blocked and the west one now inside added vestry; windows same as south face. Chancel has Venetian east window. Around the outer walls are numerous gravestones, some attached, and some wall plaques.
INTERIOR: porch with flanking wooden stairs to galleries; numerous white marble wall plaques, one to Matthewman Hodgson Donald, died 1885, by Jas. Hilton of Manchester with portrait head. Nave has gallery on 3 sides supported on Tuscan columns, with upper tier of similar columns each having entablature and triglyphs. Flat plaster ceiling without embellishment. Numerous white marble wall plaques, one to the Giles family with veiled urn and pediment by Paul Nixson of Carlisle 1814; another with figure of child holding inverted torch and leaning on a wreathed urn to Elizabeth Connell by David Dunbar 1825; others signed Nelsons, Carlisle (Thomas & James Nelson). Late C18 box pews cut down. 1905 carved walnut choir stalls with carved angels; panelled organ casing of same date. 1905 pulpit is on rails by Cowans, Sheldon and Co (Crane makers of Carlisle) see Country Life (1942). One north window is made of fragments of medieval glass from the original church, reassembled by the York Glaziers in 1961; south windows are C20 depicting scenes from the life of St Cuthbert, by A.K. Nicholson Studios, London. Late C19 coloured marble font. Royal Arms of Victoria 1885 on gallery. Chancel has wall plaque to Reverend John Fawcett died 1851, with portrait bust by William Jackson of Cockermouth and London. 1880 stained glass east window to memory of Joseph Ferguson.
HISTORY: One of two parish churches of Carlisle before its C19 expansion. Construction work recorded in Cumberland Pacquet, (1778) and its opening in Cumberland Pacquet (1779). Original drawings and specifications are in Cumbria County Record Office; architect's name not recorded. For details see church guide compiled by Ivan Renwick.
Country Life: 3 July 1942
Cumberland Pacquet: 1 September 1778
Cumberland Pacquet: 21 September 1779

placename:- Church of St Cuthbert with St Mary
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39965584
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
GATES AND LAMP BRACKET TO EAST OF CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT WITH ST MARY / / ST CUTHBERTS LANE / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 386849 / NY3999355853
courtesy of English Heritage
Gates and lamp bracket overthrow in graveyard wall. c1825. Wrought-iron. Speared and scrolled double gates in supporting scrolled frame under scrolled overthrow, now fitted with C20 lamp. Carlisle Journal (1825) discusses the proposed new railings. Adjoining wall has been moved in street widening. (Carlisle Journal: 14 May/28 May 1825).
district:- Carlisle
listed building -- lamp; gate
coordinates:- NY39995585
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photocopy Whitehead 1885:-
vol.8 p.523

image t1008523.jpg
vol.8 p.524

image t1008524.jpg
Whitehead, H: 1885: Church Bells in Cumberland Ward, part I: TransCWAAS: vol.8: pp.505-531

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- 30.10.2007
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Coat of arms. -- 30.10.2007
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Organ. -- 16.11.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- Mothers Union banner. -- 17.9.2012

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- 30.10.2007

button   Bewcastle Cross, Bewcastle
button   Colton Church Hall, Colton
button   museum, Bewcastle
button   ring of bells, Edenhall
button   ring of bells, Great Salkeld
button   ring of bells, Kirkby Ireleth
button   seat, Aldingham
button   St Cuthbert's Well, Colton
button   sundial, Aldingham
button   sundial, Chapelburn
button   sundial, Cliburn
button   sundial, Clifton
button   sundial, Great Salkeld
button   sundial, Great Salkeld (2)
button   sundial, Kirkby-in-Furness
button   sundial, Milburn
button   sundial, Milburn (2)
button   sundial, Milburn (3)
button   war memorial, Bewcastle
button   war memorial, Embleton

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.