button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
www.dove.cccbr.org.uk
placename:- St Cuthbert's Church
other name:- Great Salkeld Church
locality:- Great Salkeld
parish Great Salkeld parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY55173675
10Km square:- NY53
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY5536

photograph

St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- The church tower built 1380, is a fortifed tower, a pele tower. -- 26.8.2005
photograph

St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- 26.8.2005

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY53, button to large image
GREAT SALKELD
site name:- Kirkoswald Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Carlisle
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 191:-
...
The church of Great Salkeld seems to have been built at a different time from the steeple, and the latter seems of later erection, and intended for a secure hold or retreat for the rector: so the iron door below and the good cellar with several chimnies within persuade us to believe. Bishop Nicolson supposes it the work of archdeacon Close, brother of bishop Close, in the middle of the 5th century who lies buried under a blue stone robbed of its brass in the choir. ...
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT / / / GREAT SALKELD / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 74243 / NY5516536764
courtesy of English Heritage
Parish church with fortified tower. Late C11 with c.1380 tower; c.1480 and 1674 alterations; 1866 and 1879 restorations. Large blocks of red sandstone, the walls of the tower extremely thick; both tower and chancel with chamfered plinths. Graduated sandstone slate roof with coped gable, kneelers and cross finial. 3-storey square west tower; 5-bay nave with south porch; 2-bay chancel. Tower has small chamfered loops on each face at various levels, the upper west one with cusped head. Clock face on south wall and projecting angle stair turret, all under battlemented parapet with angle spouts. Nave has 1750 porch covering original heavily-carved Cll doorway of 3 orders of zigzag arches, some with carved heads. Roman altar from Old Penrith and fragments of medieval graveslabs in porch. South C19 windows. Blocked north doorway and C19 windows, but an upper C15 window. Walls of nave raised in C15. Chancel has round-headed priest's doorway, rood-light C15 window and other 2-light windows. 3-light east window looks C17. Interior of tower has vaulted basement. 2 window splays have lintels made of 3 medieval graveslabs. Iron-bound 'yett' gate complete with drawbars. Upper-floor fireplace has reused medieval graveslab to an Inglewood forester c.1290. Nave has late medieval timber roof. One window has its internal medieval splay. C19 and C20 Stained glass, one a memorial to Bishop Nicholson, who was vicar here. White marble wall plaques, one to Bishop Bowstead of Lichfield, born in Great Salkeld in 1801. Wall-mounted C17 armour. Earlier roofline can be seen in west wall. Chancel has effigy moved from nave to Thomas de Caldbec, Rector 1319. Medieval graveslab built into floor and another slate slab of 1490 to Stephen Close, Rector (brass inscription now illegible).

placename:- Church of St Cuthbert
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY55163676
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
2 MEDIEVAL GRAVESLABS SOUTH OF NAVE OF CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT / / / GREAT SALKELD / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 74244 / NY5516436751
courtesy of English Heritage
2 graveslabs. Probably C13. Red sandstone. 2 slabs which originally would have been inside the church, carved with floriated crosses; that nearest the nave also carved with chalice, book and shears, thought to be to William de Routhbury; Rector.
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY55163675
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

incumbents:-
Matthew Medicus 1199=1216
Whyteby, Richard de 1292
Insula, Peter de 1302
Haloghton, Gilbert de 1311
Caldebee, Thomas de 1317
Karliol, Henry de 1319
Kendale, William de 1322
Briseban, William 1349
Arthuret, Richard de 1354
Routhbury, William de 1356
Appelby. John de 1364
Thirland, Humphrey de 1379
Strickland, THomas 1406
Kirkeby, John de 1415
Cokk, Alexander 1427
Close, Stephen 1449
Dacre, Hugh 1490
Conyers, Cuthbert 1509
Bourbank, Thomas 1520 (died)
Holgill, William 1520
Nevill, George 1548
Threlkeld, Edward 1567
Dethick, Henry 1588
Pilkington, Richard 1597
Robinson, Giles 1599
Deane, Nicholas 1602
Warwick, George 1604
Wright, Robert 1621
Singleton, Isaac 1622
Wentworth, Peter 1645
West, Lewis 1661
Peechell, John 1667
Musgrave, Thomas 1668
Nicolson, William 1682
Fisher, Joseph 1702
Fleming, George 1705
Fleming, William 1734
Law, Edmund 1743
Eyre, Venn 1756
Paley, William 1782
Anson, Charles 1805
Goodenough, William 1827
Mulcaster, John Scott 1855
Butler, Samuel Johnson 1879
Loftie, Arthur Gershom 1894
Gordon, Charles James 1904

source:- Dove 2009

diocese:- Carlisle Diocese
locality:- Great Salkeld
coordinates:- NY552368

photocopy Church Bells in Leath Ward:-
vol.13 p.194

image t1013194.jpg
vol.13 p.195

image t1013195.jpg
vol.13 p.196

image t1013196.jpg
Whitehead, H: 1894 (?): Church Bells in Leath Ward, part III: TransCWAAS: vol.13: pp.194-217

Dove data number of bells: 6
weight of tenor: 11 cwt 3 qtr 22 lb (1338lbs)
pitch of tenor: F sharp
scale:-
F sharp, G sharp, A sharp, B, C sharp, D sharp
First 6 notes; intervals TTSTT; F sharp major.
Bells cast by John Taylor and Co, 1882.
Dove 2009
Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers

notes Treble inscribed:-
[Laus Deo, Charles Richardson Saunders, of Nunwick Hall, Esq., gave me.]
Bell 2 inscribed:-
[Taylor, of Loughborough, cast these bells, 1882]
Bell 3 inscribed:-
[Gloria in excelsis.]
Bell 4 inscribed:-
[S. J. Butler, M.A. Oxon., Rector; R. Thompson, Inglewood, W. Laycock, Burrell Green, Churchwardens.]
Bell 5 inscribed:-
[Adimus tibi gratias omnipotens Deus.]
Tenor inscribed:-
[These bells were placed in this tower at a cost of ~400, collected by S. J. Butler, Rector, and his family, 1882.]
Ellacombe Chimes were also installed in 1882.
:: St Cuthbert's Church, Great Salkeld, Cumbria::: leaflet available in church

photographs
Grave slabs.
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- 7.9.2007
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- 7.9.2007
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- 7.9.2007
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- 18.12.2009

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass; coat of arms, Major General William Henry Lowther, died 1898. -- 18.12.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass; William Nicolson, 1682-1702. -- 18.12.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass; coat of arms, John Scott Mulcaster, died 1866 -- 18.12.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass; St Cuthbert. -- 18.12.2009

old painting:-
thumbnail PR1105, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, Great Salkeld Church, South Door, St Cuthbert's Church, Great Salkeld, Cumberland, by Samuel Bough, 1840.
Church doorway with triple columned porch and carved arches above.
Illustration p.268 for 'The History and Antiquities of Leath Ward in the County of Cumberland' by Samuel Jefferson published 1840.
signed & dated at bottom left:-
Sam Bough 1840
inscribed at bottom centre:-
Great Salkeld Church - South door

placename:- Great Salkeld Church
date:- 1840
period:- 19th century, early

old painting:-
thumbnail PR0850, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, Great Salkeld, Pillars, St Cuthbert's Church, Great Salkeld, Cumberland, by William Gershom Collingwood, 1899.
Sketch of three interlaced capitals beside a doorway; that on right is decorated with a bird grasping a fish in its talons above a lamb beside a calf headed serpent. Centre capital has two intertwined snakes above a skull. Left hand capital is honeycombed with hexagonal cells, each containing a skull. The capitals are Norman.
Drawn to illustrate Notes on the Early Sculptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carlisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, published by T Wilson, Kendal 1899; opposite p.178.
signed & inscribed & dated at bottom left:-
W.G. Collingwood Great Salkeld May 1 1899
date:- 1.5.1899
period:- 19th century, late

old print:- Bogg 1898

Book, Lakeland and Ribblesdale, OR A Thousand Miles of Wandering along the Roman Wall, the Old Border Region, Lakeland, and Ribblesdale, by Edmund Bogg, publishd by Edmund Bogg, 3 Woodhouse Lane, and James Miles, Guildford Street, Leeds, Yorkshire, 1898.
thumbnail BGG116, button to large image
Print, engraving, Norman Porch, Great Salkeld, St Cuthbert's Church, Great Salkeld, Cumberland, by S Harrison, published by Edmund Bogg, 3 Woodhouse Lane, and James Miles, Guildford Street, Leeds, Yorkshire, 1898.
Included on p.58 of Lakeland and Ribblesdale, by Edmund Bogg.
date:-
period:- 19th century, late

old print:- Calverley 1899

Notes on the Early Sulptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, edited by W G Collingwood, published for the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, by Titus Wilson, Kendal, Westmorland, 1899.
Doorway:-
thumbnail CV1107, button to large image
thumbnail CV1108, button to large image
Sketches by W G Collingwood.
date:- 1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

notes Described in:-
Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- Door arch, preserved from an earlier building. -- 26.8.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- Door, detail. -- 18.12.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- Door, detail. -- 18.12.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- Door, detail. -- 18.12.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- Door, detail. -- 18.12.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- Door, detail. -- 20.7.2012

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- Banner. -- 20.7.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- Banner. -- 20.7.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- Parish chest. -- 20.7.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- Door to the tower. -- 20.7.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- Organ, made by Harrison, Durham, 1889; a new case by R Heywood Thompson, 1899. -- 18.12.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- Roof beams. -- 20.7.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- Effigy. -- 18.12.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- pitch pipe -- 18.12.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- Armour collected 1644 after a skirmish in the Civil War, between local Royalists and scottish troops under General Leslie acting for Parliament. -- 18.12.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Cuthbert's Church -- Great Salkeld -- Great Salkeld -- Cumbria / -- 20.7.2012

hearsay Probably first built about 880, one of 40 churches dedicated to St Cuthbert where anglican monks rested with the saint's body during their seven years wandering in fear of the Danes.
Possiby rebuilt 1080; church tower built 1380, new chancel 1480, porch added 1750; nave restored 1879.
Six bells, dedicated 1882, the second states:-
Taylor, of Loughborough, cast these bells 1882.
The turret clock is by Potts, Leedws, 1892, with Cambridge chimes

notes 14th century fortified church tower
Perriam, D R & Robinson, J: 1998: Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria: CWAAS:: ISBN 1 873124 23 6; plan and illustrations

button   Bewcastle Cross, Bewcastle
button   Colton Church Hall, Colton
button   museum, Bewcastle
button   ring of bells, Edenhall
button   ring of bells, Great Salkeld
button   ring of bells, Kirkby Ireleth
button   seat, Aldingham
button   St Cuthbert's Well, Colton
button   sundial, Aldingham
button   sundial, Chapelburn
button   sundial, Cliburn
button   sundial, Clifton
button   sundial, Great Salkeld
button   sundial, Great Salkeld (2)
button   sundial, Kirkby-in-Furness
button   sundial, Milburn
button   sundial, Milburn (2)
button   sundial, Milburn (3)
button   war memorial, Bewcastle
button   war memorial, Embleton

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.