button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St Margaret's Church
other name:- Low Wray Church
other name:- Wray Church
locality:- Low Wray
parish Claife parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY37230075
10Km square:- NY30
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY3700

photograph

St Margaret's Church -- Low Wray -- Claife -- Cumbria / -- 15.2.2008

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY30, button to large image
LOW WRAY
site name:- Ambleside Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Westmorland
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET WRAY / / / CLAIFE / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 76761 / NY3722500754
courtesy of English Heritage
Church. 1845. Possibly by H.P. Horner. Dressed stone with ashlar window dressings, slate roof. Nave, chancel with south tower and north vestry. 3-bay nave has 3-light west window with Decorated tracery and angle buttresses; gable cross. North and south facades have cusped lancets, between weathered buttresses. South porch is gabled, the gable with sundial dated 1856 and cross; clasping buttresses and plain-chamfered pointed entrance. Tower has deep weathered diagonal buttresses and corbelled-out embattled parapet. Canted stair turret to west on square base with clasping buttresses and small entrance. West 2-light window; 2nd stage has cusped lancets to south and east. Bell stage has 2 trefoil-headed louvred bell-openings to each side. Chancel has 3-light east window, angle buttresses and gable cross, as has nave east gable. Octagonal vestry has swept pyramidal roof and cross; small trefoil-headed lights to east and north-west. Interior has waggon roof with ashlaring, plain chancel arch and arches to vestry and organloft under tower. Stalls have tracery panels on north side. Tracery panels also to reredos. Good stained glass to east window. Canon Rawnsley, one of the founders of the National Trust, was an incumbent of this church.

placename:- Church of St Margaret
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- NY37220075
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Margaret's Church -- Low Wray -- Claife -- Cumbria / -- 20.9.2013

hearsay Built 1840-47 at the same time as the castle.

button   sundial, Low Wray
button   war memorial, Low Wray
button   war memorial, Wythop

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.