button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
www.dove.cccbr.org.uk
placename:- St Mary's Church
other name:- Ambleside Church
locality:- Ambleside
parish Lakes parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY37400436
10Km square:- NY30
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY3704

Design by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, 1850.
photograph

St Mary's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- The church is surrounded by trees! -- 17.8.2005
photograph

St Mary's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 19.5.2011

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY30, button to large image
AMBLESIDE
site name:- Ambleside Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Westmorland
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

old photograph:- Bell 1880s-1940s

thumbnail HB0189, button to large image
Photograph, black and white, Ambleside, by Herbert Bell, Ambleside, Westmorland, 1890s.
stamped at rev:-
HERBERT BELL / Photographer / AMBLESIDE
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late

old photograph:- Bell 1880s-1940s

thumbnail HB0204, button to large image
Photograph, black and white, St Mary's Church, Ambleside, by Herbert Bell, Ambleside, Westmorland, 1890s.
stamped at rev:-
HERBERT BELL / Photographer / AMBLESIDE
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late

old photograph:- Bell 1880s-1940s

thumbnail HB0215, button to large image
Photograph, black and white, St Mary's Church and Rothay Road, Ambleside, by Herbert Bell, Ambleside, Westmorland, 1890s.
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late

old photograph:- Bell 1880s-1940s

thumbnail HB0220, button to large image
Photograph, black and white, St Mary's Church and a school, Ambleside, by Herbert Bell, Ambleside, Westmorland, 1890s.
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late

source:- Martineau 1855

Guide book, A Complete Guide to the English Lakes, by Harriet Martineau, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, and by Whittaker and Co, London, 1855; published 1855-71.
Page 41:-
... near the centre of the valley is the new church,- more of a blemish than an adornment, unhappily, from its size and clumsiness, and the bad taste of its architecture. Though placed in a valley, it has a spire,- the appropriate form of churches in a level country; and the spire is of a different color (sic) from the rest of the building; and the east window is remarkably ugly. There have been various reductions of the beauty of the valley within twenty years or so; and this latest is the worst, because the most conspicuous. ...
date:- 1855
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2NY30, button to large image
notice two crosses, the old and new churches
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 29.1.2010 -- Stained glass with pictures of this and the earlier St Anne's Church.

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST MARY / / / LAKES / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / B / 450572 / NY3739604360
courtesy of English Heritage
1850-54 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in Early Decorated style. Built of local coursed slate rubble with sandstone dressings. Large south-east square tower with stepped angle buttresses, Decorated windows, and prominent octagonal spire with aedile windows. A 5-light east window. Low north-east vestry. South porch up 6 steps. North and south aisles. North porch. Interior has wide proportions, and open timber roofs. Modern mural painting. Mural monument to Jane Harden, 1829. Marble and gold mosaic reredos.

placename:- Church of St Mary
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- NY37390436
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

incumbents:-
Bell, John (?) 1585
Mayson, Thomas 1629
Turner, Henry 1647
Pearson, John 1669
Thwaites, Mr 1680
Wright, Richard 1682
Fleming, Roger 1686
Knott, Thomas 1694
Jackson, Robert (?)
Harrison, Mr (?)
Myles, Jonathan 1744
Knipe, Isaac 1753
Roberts, Christopher (?) 1785
Wilson, John 1786
Knipe, John 1792
Dawes, William (?)
Crakelt, Isaac 1795
Dawes, John 1811
Fell, Samuel Irton 1846
Marlen, Henry J 1860
Bell, Charles Dent 1861
Campbell, Colin 1872
Herbert, Charles 1875
Aston, John W 1878
Chase, Charles H 1882
Bayley, Charles H 1892
Lafone, H P 1896
Hawkesworth, John 1902

source:- Dove 2009

diocese:- Carlisle Diocese
locality:- Ambleside
coordinates:- NY374044

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 'JOHN TAYLOR & CO. ...' -- 'D. D. / JAMES JACKSON' -- '... LECIESTERSHIRE JOHN TAYLOR ...' -- 'THIS SPEAL OF 8 [ ] / WAS PLACED IN [S. MARY ] / 1901 / [ ] / ARTHUR JACKSON [ ] / HUGH REDMAYNE [ ]'
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- No.3 ? -- '[ ] JOHN TAYLOR & CO. [ ]' -- 'TRUE TO HEAVEN'S HARMONIES / AND EARTH'S BEST MELODIES / MARGARET.'
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- No.1 ? -- '[ ] JOHN TAYLOR & CO. [ ]' -- 'D. .D / WILLIAM & JOHN ASPLIN.'

Dove data number of bells: 8
weight of tenor: 32 cwt 2 qtr 2 lb (3642lbs)
pitch of tenor: D flat (552Hz)
scale (8 to 1):-
D flat, E flat, F, G flat, A flat, B flat, C, D flat
Complete octave; intervals TTSTTTS; D flat major.
Bells cast by John Taylor and Co, 1901.
Dove 2009
Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers

references Handley, Diana: 1983: Notes on Furness Branch Bells::: inscriptions and history

old print:- Matthew 1866

Guide book, The English Lakes, Peaks and Passes, from Kendal to Keswick, by George King Matthew, published by J Richardson, Highgate, Kendal, Westmorland, 1866.
thumbnail MW1E08, button to large image
Print, engraving, Ambleside from Loughrigg Fell, Westmorland, drawn by R Howe, engraved by J Saddler, published by J Richardson, Highgate, Kendal, Westmorland, 1866.
Tipped in opposite p.62 of The English Lakes, Peaks and Passes, from Kendal to Keswick, by George King Matthew.
printed at lower left, right, centre:-
R. Howe. / J. Saddler. / Published by J. Richardson, Kendal. / Ambleside from Lough-rigg Fell
date:- 1866
period:- 19th century, late

old print:- Garnett 1850s-60s F

Set of prints, engravings, Views of the English Lakes or Views in the English Lake District, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s?
thumbnail GAR722, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, St Mary's Church and Schools, Ambleside, Westmorland, from a photo by J Garnett, engraved by Banks and Co, Edinburgh, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s?
Found with Views of the English Lakes.
printed at bottom:-
Banks & Co. Edinr. / ST. MARY'S CHURCH & SCHOOLS, AMBLESIDE. / From a Photo. by J. Garnett.
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late

stereo photo:-
thumbnail PH0062, button to large image
Stereo photo, St Mary's Church, Ambleside, issued by R J Sproat, photographer, Ambleside, Westmorland, 1890s?
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Organ, Hope-Jones Organ Co, London, 1898. -- 29.1.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Organ:- -- 'The Hope-Jones Organ Co. Ltd. - London / 1898' -- 29.1.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Mothers Union banner -- 19.5.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- 29.1.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Grave of Charlotte Mason. -- 29.1.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Grave of Charlotte Mason. -- 29.1.2010

photographs
The rushbearing ceremony still takes place here on the first or second Saturday in July. Once a year the old rushes, junk, from the Latin name juncus, were thrown out, and new rushes strewn on the church floor.
The ceremony used to take place at St Anne's Church on the Saturday nearest St Anne's Day, 26 July.
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- The mural of the Ambleside rushbearing, at the west end, was painted by Gordon Ransom, lecturer at the Royal College of Art, evacuated to Ambleside during World War II, 1944. -- 17.8.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Rushbearing mural, detail. -- 29.1.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Rushbearing mural, detail. -- 29.1.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Rushbearing mural, detail. -- 29.1.2010

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- Two cast iron 'grave stones' made by Haden of Warmintser, Wiltshire, 1872. On the left is:- -- 'IN MEMORY OF JOHN DYER DIED JAN 16 1872' -- On the back is:- -- 'HADEN [WARMINSTER]' -- 3.8.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria / -- And on the right:- -- 'IN MEMORY OF SARAH DYER DIED JAN 17 1872' -- 3.8.2006

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Ambleside -- Lakes -- Cumbria /

:: Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin Ambleside::: booklet on sale in church

hearsay The organ was originally built by the Hope-Jones Organ C, London, 1898. It was controlled by electricity, a novelty when it was built, and demonstrated the knowledeg of its builder who was a telephone engineer and organist from the Wirrel, Lancashire. Some of the wiring and electromagnets ahve been kept.
The organ was extended by Hill, Norman and Beard, 1965. It was restored by Victor L Saville and Co, Cumbria, 1999.

button   bench mark, NY50070290
button   Gosforth Cross, Gosforth
button   ring of bells, Ambleside
button   ring of bells, Broughton in Furness
button   ring of bells, Crosthwaite
button   ring of bells, Dalton-in-Furness
button   ring of bells, Kirkby Lonsdale
button   ring of bells, Wigton
button   summer house, Kirkby Lonsdale (2)
button   sundial, Broughton in Furness
button   sundial, Cumwhitton
button   sundial, Dalton-in-Furness
button   sundial, Gilcrux
button   sundial, Hayton
button   sundial, High Hesket
button   sundial, Kirkby Lonsdale
button   sundial, Longsleddale
button   sundial, Penny Bridge
button   sundial, Rydal
button   sundial, Staveley-in-Cartmel
button   sundial, Whicham
button   sundial, Whitbeck
button   sundial, Wreay
button   war memorial, Ambleside
button   war memorial, Broughton in Furness
button   war memorial, Ennerdale
button   war memorial, Hayton
button   war memorial, Hethersgill
button   war memorial, High Hesket
button   war memorial, Longsleddale
button   war memorial, Rockcliffe
button   war memorial, Whicham

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.