button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
www.dove.cccbr.org.uk
placename:- St Mary's Church
other name:- Wigton Church
locality:- Wigton
parish Wigton parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY25594827
10Km square:- NY24
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY2548

photograph

St Mary's Church -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- 11.4.2007
photograph

St Mary's Church -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- 11.4.2007

old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 29 5)

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.

placename:- St Mary's Church
church
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY24, button to large image
WIGTON
site name:- Wigton Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Carlisle
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 186:-
...
... Dr. Burn says the parish church is a very old building, which seems never to have been rebuilt since the time of Odaard de Loriz its antient lord,who in the Chronicon Cumbriae is said to have built it.
person:- : Burn, Dr
person:- : Loriz, Odaard de
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST MARY / / HIGH STREET / WIGTON / ALLERDALE / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 72021 / NY2559948273
courtesy of English Heritage
Parish Church on medieval site. Dated and inscribed in porch 1788, PATTINSON AND HOLMES JOINERS, NIXONS AND PARKIN MASONS, built to the same design as St Michael's, Workington, 1770 and St Cuthbert's, Carlisle, 1778; restoration 1881 (dated in porch) by C.J. Ferguson; vestry dated 1912. Red sandstone from Shawk Quarry, with V-jointed quoins, on chamfered plinth; string course, eaves cornice and parapet. Graduated greenslate roof. 2-storey, 8-bay nave; 3-storey west tower/porch; north vestry; lower single-bay chancel. Tower: panelled west door under intersecting-glazing bar fanlight in quoined surround. Similar treatment to casement window above. Round window above with patterned glazing bars. Large painted clock face with modillioned surround. Round-headed bell openings with louvred vents. Modillioned battlemented parapet with pinnacles. Nave: south panelled doors in round-headed quoined surrounds flank round-headed leaded-paned windows, some with stained glass. Similar gallery windows above. Venetian east window in chancel. Interior: Tuscan and Doric columned gallery, upper columns with individual entablature. Ceiling with decorative oval and circular-moulded plaster panels. Early C20 baptistery with carved oak screen. Numerous white marble wall plaques. Late C19 and early C20 stained glass. Side chapel has reredos made of re-used Flemish carved oak panels. 3-decker pulpit. OS bench mark on quoin stone left of entrance.

placename:- Church of St Mary
district:- Allerdale
listed building
coordinates:- NY25594827
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

incumbents:-
Dalilegh, James de 1308
Hilton, William de 1317
Stayngrave, Adam de
Wiggeton, Gilbert de 1332
Appleby, Henry de 1336
Cullerdane, Thomas de
Aslackby, Richard de 1359
Cressop, William de
Damysell, Ricard 1367
Hayton, William de 1368
Welton, John de 1369
King, John
Lowden, William
Lowson, William 1592=1612
Warcop, Thomas 1612=1649
Chambers, John 1661=1674
Geddes, Henry 1674=1714
Brown, John 1715=1763
Clarke, Wilfred 1763=1802
Clarke, Wilfred 1802=1804
Dodd, John 1804=1826
Irthing, Jonathan 1826=1857
Lyde, William 1857=1870
Schnibben, William Mangles 1870=1880
Kayss, John Bainbridge 1880=1905
Mayall, Reginald 1905=1910
Salusbury, Norman 1910=1921

source:- Dove 2009

diocese:- Carlisle Diocese
locality:- Wigton
coordinates:- NY256483

photocopy Whitehead 1886:-
vol.9 p.265

image t1009265.jpg
vol.9 p.266

image t1009266.jpg
vol.9 p.267

image t1009267.jpg
vol.9 p.268

image t1009268.jpg
Whitehead, H: 1886: Church Bells in Cumberland Ward, part II: TransCWAAS: vol.9: pp.240-268

Dove data number of bells: 8
weight of tenor: 8 cwt 0 qtr 0 lb (896lbs)
pitch of tenor: A (880.5Hz)
scale:-
A, B, C sharp, D, E, F sharp, G sharp, A
Complete octave; intervals TTSTTTS; A major.
Bells cast by John Taylor Bellfounders, 1998.
Dove 2009
Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers

notes The bells were installed as part of the Ringing in the Millennium project. The first ring was for morning service, Easter Sunday, 1999. A peal of 5008 changes of Yorkshire Surprise Major was rung by the Carlisle Diocesan Guild of Bell Ringers, 1 May 1999.
Treble, named Ninian; inscribed:-
[Esther, Timothy. Elisabeth and Hannah Ravalde / Laus Deo]
Bell 2 named Kentigern; inscribed:-
[In thanksgiving for Sarah Jean and Hannah Abigail / Given by Jean and George Simpson]
Bell 3 named Herbert; inscribed:-
[Presented by the Rotary Club of Wigton / Rotary Fellowship and peace the world over]
Bell 4 named Cuthbert; inscribed:-
[I speak for UCB / In Appreciation of the hard work and commitment of Wigton people]
Bell 5 named Adian; inscribed:-
[Given by Wigton Town Council on behalf of the inhabitants of Wigton 'The Throstle Nest of All England']
Bell 6 named Bega; inscribed:-
[Given in memory of the Bragg Family who have worshipped in the church over many years]
Bell 7 named Emmanuel; inscribed:-
[Martin Edward, Mary and Andrew Stephen Tinnoth Snape named me Emmanuel / Laudamus te, Benedicitus te, Adoramus te, Glorificamus te]
Tenor named Mary; inscribed:-
[I Speak for St Mary's / Canon Geoffrey Paul Ravalde - Vicar / Christopher Brown / Anthony John Evans / Christopher Howard Walford - Churchwardens]
Reay John: 2004 (2nd edn): Short History of the Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Wigton::: leaflet available in church

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- Memorial to William Storie, died 1906. -- 27.7.2013

photographs
Windows given by Melvyn Bragg, broadcaster, 2009.
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- 27.7.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- 27.7.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- 27.7.2013

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- Coat of arms, Elizabeth II? -- 11.4.2007
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- Organ. -- 10.7.2009
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- Mothers Union banner. -- 27.7.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- List of charities and donations. -- 27.7.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- List of charities and donations. -- 27.7.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mary's Church -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- Stone inscribed with some of the builders' names:- -- 'PATTINSON. and HOLMES / JOINERS. / NIXONS. and PARKIN. MASONS. / 1788' -- 11.4.2007

notes The 18th century church is built on the site of a 14th century church with a fortified tower
Perriam, D R & Robinson, J: 1998: Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria: CWAAS:: ISBN 1 873124 23 6; illustration

button   bench mark, NY50070290
button   Gosforth Cross, Gosforth
button   ring of bells, Ambleside
button   ring of bells, Broughton in Furness
button   ring of bells, Crosthwaite
button   ring of bells, Dalton-in-Furness
button   ring of bells, Kirkby Lonsdale
button   ring of bells, Wigton
button   summer house, Kirkby Lonsdale (2)
button   sundial, Broughton in Furness
button   sundial, Cumwhitton
button   sundial, Dalton-in-Furness
button   sundial, Gilcrux
button   sundial, Hayton
button   sundial, High Hesket
button   sundial, Kirkby Lonsdale
button   sundial, Longsleddale
button   sundial, Penny Bridge
button   sundial, Rydal
button   sundial, Staveley-in-Cartmel
button   sundial, Whicham
button   sundial, Whitbeck
button   sundial, Wreay
button   war memorial, Ambleside
button   war memorial, Broughton in Furness
button   war memorial, Ennerdale
button   war memorial, Hayton
button   war memorial, Hethersgill
button   war memorial, High Hesket
button   war memorial, Longsleddale
button   war memorial, Rockcliffe
button   war memorial, Whicham

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.