button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St Michael and All Angels Church
other name:- Arthuret Church
locality:- Arthuret
parish Arthuret parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY37916765
10Km square:- NY36
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY3767

Built 1609.
photograph

St Michael and All Angels Church -- Arthuret -- Arthuret -- Cumbria / -- 15.9.2006
photograph

St Michael and All Angels Church -- Arthuret -- Arthuret -- Cumbria / -- 2.4.2010

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY36, button to large image
ARTHURET
site name:- Carlisle Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Carlisle
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 188:-
...
In Arthuret parish was born and buried Archibald Armstrong, jester to James and Charles I. who was banished from court for speaking too freely of archbishop Laud's violent measure, which had exasperated the Scots by forcing the liturgy on them. Dr. Hugh Todd was rector of this parish. ...
person:- jester : Armstrong, Archibald
person:- : James I
person:- : Charles I
person:- clergyman : Laud, Archbishop
person:- : Scots
person:- clergyman : Todd, Hugh
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL / / / ARTHURET / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 78088 / NY3793967666
courtesy of English Heritage
Church. Dated 1609 over west entrance, built by national subscription, replacing medieval church; tower completed c1700, restored 1868. Red and yellow dressed sandstone, graduated green slate roofs. 3-storey tower/porch, 7-bay nave with north and south aisles, one-bay chancel. Tower: plank door in pointed arch, 2-light mullioned openings with louvred vents; small, chamfered-surround stair windows to left; stepped angle buttresses, string courses, battlemented parapet and corner pinnacles; weather vane with cut lettering ST MICHAEL'S. Aisles have triple cross-mullioned windows; smaller mullioned clerestory windows above. Aisles and nave with battlemented parapets and finials, stepped buttresses between aisle windows. Chancel has no side windows; replacement east window of 1868 (original now as folly at Whoof House, Aglionby) has oval at the apex of the arch and inter- secting tracery, stained glass by Scott of Carlisle. Interior; 7-bay arcade of pointed arches; C17 bowl and stem font; C15 heart brass; heraldic hatchments on 3 wooden panels and marble wall plaques, all to members of the Graham family 1657- C20. Furnishing and fittings are early C20. [bullet] Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, vol lxvi, pp. 179-189.

placename:- Church of St Michael
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY37936766
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCHYARD WALL EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL / / / ARTHURET / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 78089 / NY3796767651
courtesy of English Heritage
Churchyard wall. Mid C19. Red sandstone rubble. East wall of churchyard facing road. Waist-height wall with rounded coping. 2 gates with squared piers, entrance left with scrolled wrought iron lamp overthrow and to right entrance, cast iron standard lamp on one of the gate piers. Listed partly for G.V. with the Church.
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY37966765
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCHYARD CROSS WEST OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL / / / ARTHURET / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 78090 / NY3788967655
courtesy of English Heritage
Churchyard cross. C12 or C13. Carved red sandstone. Squared socket stone, tapering shaft with incised cross decoration and wheel head cross supported by C19 iron clamp. See W.S. Calverley, Early Sculptured Crosses in the Diocese of Carlisle, 1899 pp. 8-10.
district:- Carlisle
listed building -- cross
coordinates:- NY37886765
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photocopy Church Bells on the Border:-
vol.7 p.221

image t1007221.jpg
vol.7 p.222

image t1007222.jpg
Whitehead, H: 1883: Church Bells on the Border: TransCWAAS: vol.7: pp.221-236

photographs
The background dexter black is for a married man. The hatchment is for Rev Robert Graham, husband of Frances daughter of Sir Reginald Graham, died 2 February 1782.
The coat of arms has:-
Motto:-
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Michael and All Angels Church -- Arthuret -- Arthuret -- Cumbria / -- Funeral hatchment of Rev Robert Graham, died 1782. -- 2.4.2010

photographs
The background dexter black, is for a married man. The hatchment is for Charles Graham, husband of Elizabeth Gorges, died 15 February 1782.
The coat of arms has Graham:-
impaling Gorges:-
Motto:-
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Michael and All Angels Church -- Arthuret -- Arthuret -- Cumbria / -- Funeral hatchment of Charles Graham, died 1782. -- 2.4.2010

photographs
The background dexter black, is for a married man. The hatchment is for Sir James Graham, 1st baronet of Netherby, husband of Catherine, daughter of the Earl of Galloway, died 13 April 1824.
The coat of arms has quarterly:-
impaling :-
Motto:-
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Michael and All Angels Church -- Arthuret -- Arthuret -- Cumbria / -- Funeral hatchment of Sir James Graham, died 1824 -- 2.4.2010

old drawing:-
thumbnail PR0813, button to large image
Drawing, Churchyard Cross, St Michael's Church, Arthuret, by William Gershom Collingwood, 1899.
Sketch of a cross, its upper arm missing. The wheel cross head is decorated with pierced work and bosses to both the centre and each lateral arm; the upper part of the shaft bears an incised Maltese cross.
Drawn to illustrate Notes on the Early Sculptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carlisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, published by T Wilson, Kendal 1899; opposite p.8.
inscribed & dated & initialled at bottom right:-
Arthuret June 7 1899 WGC
date:- 7.6.1899
period:- 19th century, late

old print:- Calverley 1899

Notes on the Early Sulptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, edited by W G Collingwood, published for the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, by Titus Wilson, Kendal, Westmorland, 1899.
In the churchyard:-
thumbnail CV1005, button to large image
Sketch by W G Collingwood.
date:- 1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Michael and All Angels Church -- Arthuret -- Arthuret -- Cumbria / -- Organ madeby Binns, Burnley, 1896. -- 15.9.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Michael and All Angels Church -- Arthuret -- Arthuret -- Cumbria / -- Memorial to Sir George Graham, died 1657. -- 15.9.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Michael and All Angels Church -- Arthuret -- Arthuret -- Cumbria / -- Coat of arms on memorial to Sir George Graham, died 1657. -- 15.9.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Michael and All Angels Church -- Arthuret -- Arthuret -- Cumbria / -- Memorial to Robert Graham, died 1782. -- 15.9.2006

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Michael and All Angels Church -- Arthuret -- Arthuret -- Cumbria / -- Gravestones, sandstone. -- 15.9.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Michael and All Angels Church -- Arthuret -- Arthuret -- Cumbria / -- Gravestones, sandstone. -- 15.9.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Michael and All Angels Church -- Arthuret -- Arthuret -- Cumbria / -- Wheel headed cross -- 15.9.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Michael and All Angels Church -- Arthuret -- Arthuret -- Cumbria / -- Wheel headed cross -- 15.9.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Michael and All Angels Church -- Arthuret -- Arthuret -- Cumbria / -- Gravestone, coat of arms, William Baxter, d.1792? -- 15.9.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Michael and All Angels Church -- Arthuret -- Arthuret -- Cumbria / -- 15.9.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Michael and All Angels Church -- Arthuret -- Arthuret -- Cumbria / -- Weathervane in an east wind:- -- 'ST. MICHAEL'S' -- 15.9.2006
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Michael and All Angels Church -- Arthuret -- Arthuret -- Cumbria / -- Gate. -- 29.1.2013

button   gate, Isel
button   ring of bells, Beetham
button   ring of bells, Hawkshead
button   sundial, Beetham
button   sundial, Beetham (2)
button   sundial, Bootle
button   sundial, Hawkshead
button   sundial, Isel
button   sundial, Isel (2)
button   sundial, Isel (3)
button   sundial, Isel (4)
button   sundial, Torpenhow (2)
button   war memorial, Hawkshead
button   war memorial, Isel

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.