button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St Wilfred's Chapel
other name:- Brougham Church
locality:- Brougham
parish Brougham parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- NY52762839
10Km square:- NY52
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square NY5228

photograph

St Wilfred's Chapel -- Brougham -- Brougham -- Cumbria / -- 18.7.2010

old map:- Nurse 1918

Two church symbols are drawn, but only one is identified.
Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1NY53, button to large image
BROUGHAM WITH ST. WILFRID
site name:- Penrith Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Carlisle
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5NY52NW, button to large image
Ch.
church
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

old map:- Morden 1695 (Wmd)

Maps, Westmorland, scale about 2.5 miles to 1 inch, and Cumberland, scale about 3 miles to 1 inch, by Robert Morden, 1695.
image MD10NY52, button   goto source.
thumbnail MD10NY52, button to large image
Browham Chappl
Circle, building and tower.

placename:- Browham Chapple
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1695
period:- 17th century, late; 1690s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCHYARD WALL AROUND CHAPEL OF ST WILFRED / / / BROUGHAM / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 74210 / NY5286328428
courtesy of English Heritage
Churchyard wall. Early C19 for Lord Brougham. Pink sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Front wall ending in bridge is beside road which runs in a cutting between the hall and chapel, hence it is quite high and has a pointed-arched right doorway. The wall on the other 3 sides is low with a shaped coping. Listed for group value with Chapel of St Wilfred.
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY52862842
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHAPEL OF ST WILFRED OF BROUGHAM CHAPEL / / / BROUGHAM / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 74209 / NY5276528401
courtesy of English Heritage
Church of England chapel. Rebuilt in 1658 for Lady Anne Clifford on medieval site, with early C19 alterations for Lord Brougham. Coursed red sandstone rubble walls with flush quoins, under graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and kneelers; west twin open bellcote. 4-bay nave and single-bay chancel under common roof. Nave has C17 pointed-arched south doorway under hoodmould. Small round-arched C17 windows under hoodmoulds with stepped buttresses between. Taller west windows. Similar north windows, the western one C19 with engaged-columned surround. Chancel has south C17 ogee-headed priest's doorway under hoodmould. Tall round-headed C17 east windows and C19 rose window. Interior has no division between chancel and nave. C17 timber ceiling of collar-beam trusses with curved braces under the collars; elaborate C19 heraldic plasterwork. C17 bowl and stem font with inscription and C19 reworking. West screen of a series of enriched circular posts supporting cinquefoiled arches, moulded and enriched cornice: C16 French imported by Lord Brougham. Dado panelling including imported C16 traceried panels. Pulpit incorporating similar reused panels with carved Biblical figures. Longtitudinal stalls incorporate C16 French panels, those on south wall with carved canopy hoods. Some C17 painted plasterwork has been retained around the priest's door. C19 stained glass incorporating some earlier imported glass. See RCHM, Westmorland, 1936, pp.56-7.
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY52762840
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Wilfred's Chapel -- Brougham -- Brougham -- Cumbria / -- Church bells. -- 18.7.2010

notes Described in:-
Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Wilfred's Chapel -- Brougham -- Brougham -- Cumbria / -- 23.12.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Wilfred's Chapel -- Brougham -- Brougham -- Cumbria / -- 23.12.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Wilfred's Chapel -- Brougham -- Brougham -- Cumbria / -- 23.12.2005

hearsay Built 1658, by Lady Anne Clifford; spoiled by Lord Brougham and Vaux in 1840s.

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.