button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
site name:- Armathwaite Hall
parish Bassenthwaite parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
viewpoint; station
coordinates:- NY20473234
10Km square:- NY23

1Km square NY2032

photograph

station, Armathwaite Hall -- Armathwaite Hall -- Bassenthwaite -- Cumbria / -- From Armathwaite Hall, on a dull day. -- 20.1.2006

descriptive text:- Otley 1823 (5th edn 1834)

Guidebook, Concise Description of the English Lakes, later A Description of the English Lakes, by Jonathan Otley, published by the author, Keswick, Cumberland, by J Richardson, London, and by Arthur Foster, Kirky Lonsdale, Cumbria, 1823 onwards.
image OT01P135, button   goto source.
... The road at the foot of the lake is much encumbered by trees; but by walking a few paces through a gate, nearly opposite Armathwaite Hall, the prospect from the margin of the lake is extensive; and the botanist may perhaps find something worth his notice. ...
date:- 1823
period:- 19th century, early; 1820s

old map:- Crosthwaite 1783-94 (Bas)

Series of maps, An Accurate Map of the Matchless Lake of Derwent, of the Grand Lake of Windermere, of the Beautiful Lake of Ullswater, of Broadwater or Bassenthwaite Lake, of Coniston Lake, of Buttermere, Crummock and Loweswater Lakes, and Pocklington's Island, by Peter Crosthwaite, Kendal, Cumberland now Cumbria, 1783 to 1794.
thumbnail CT6NY23B, button to large image
Armathwaite Hall / Sir F. F. Vane's Bart. / and West's First Station

placename:- Armathwaite Hall
viewpoint; house
coordinates:- NY207324
person:- : Vane, Frederick Fletcher, Sir
date:- 1783=1794
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s; 1790s

descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821)

Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P120, button   goto source.
Page 120:-
...
But the singular beauties of this lake have not before been noticed, viz. the grand sinuosity of three noble bays.
STATION I. From Armathwaite, the lower bay is in full display; a fine expanse of water, spreading itself both ways, behind a circular peninsula (Castle-how) that swells in the middle, and is crowned with wood. In former times it has been surrounded with water, by the lake on one side, and the assistance of a brook that descends from Embleton, on the other. The accessible parts have been defended by trenches, one above another. The upper part must have been occupied with building, as the vestiges of the ruins are visible; and like other such places in this region, they were probably secured by the first inhabitants, as places of difficult access, and of easy defence. From the bottom of the bay, some waving inclosures rise to the side of a green hill, and some scattered houses are seen at the upper end of a fine slope of inclosures. The banks of the lake are fringed with trees, and under them the crystal water is caught in a pleasing manner. At the north-
image WS21P121, button   goto source.
Page 121:-
[north-]west corner, the Derwent issues from the lake, and is spanned by a handsome stone bridge of three arches. The whole western boundary is the noble range of wooded hills called Wythop-brows. On the eastern shore, the lake retires behind a peninsula, that rushes far into the water, and on its extreme point, a solitary oak, waving to every wind, is most picturesque. This is Scareness. The coast upward, is a fine cultivated tract to the skirts of Skiddaw. Far to the south, Wallow-crag, with all the range of rock, and broken craggy mountains, in Borrowdale, are seen in fine perspective; and on their outline, the spiral point of Langdale-pike appears blue as glass. The deep green woods of Foe-park, and the golden front of Swinside, form a pleasing termination.

other name:- station, Bassenthwaite, West 1
site name:- Armathwaite Hall
date:- 1778
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.