button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- All Saints Church
other name:- Killington Church
locality:- Killington
parish Killington parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- SD61318899
10Km square:- SD68

1Km square SD6188

photograph

All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- 16.6.2006
photograph

All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- 16.6.2006

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1SD68, button to large image
KILLINGTON AND MIDDLETON
site name:- Kirkby Lonsdale Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Westmorland
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5SD68NW, button to large image
church
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass, coat of arms of the Pickering Family. -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass, east window, memorial to Florence Ann Upton Cottrell Dormer, coat of arms. -- 28.1.2011

photographs
There is a series of embroidered kneelers at the altar rail:-
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Greenholme. -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Broad Raine. -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Black Horse. -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Ghyllstyle Cotte. -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- High Grassrigg. -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Killington Bridge. -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Killington Hall. -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Lily Mere. -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Low Hallbeck. -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Roeburn. -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Low Stangerthwaite. -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Rose Cottage. -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Springs Ghyll. -- 28.1.2011

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS / / / KILLINGTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 75690 / SD6132288992
courtesy of English Heritage
Church. C14 with alterations of C17, vestry of 1894. Roughcast stone with ashlar dressings, slate roof. Single-vessel nave and chancel, west tower and south vestry. North facade of 5 bays. 1st bay has C14 straight-headed window of 2 cusped lights; 2nd bay has C17 2-light straight-headed window; 3rd bay has 3-light C14 window as to 1st bay; 4th and 5th bays have single lights of C16 or C17, that to 4th bay double-chamfered. South facade has C17 windows, the 1st a hollow-chamfered light the 2nd and 3rd of 2 lights, the 2nd double-chamfered. Eastern end has vestry with quoins and half-hipped roof; Tudor-headed west entrance and 2-light east window. East end has moulded verges and ball-finial; 3-light window in splayed reveals. Tower has segmental pointed entrances, the inner one C14. Segmental pointed louvred bell openings and pyramidal slate roof. Interior has mid C19 roof collar and kingpost trusses on wall brackets. West end has small gallery between 2 walls, medieval holy water stoup. Gallery has trefoil-headed panelling. Small font with alabaster shafts. Painted boards for Creed, Commandments and Lord's Prayer. Small medieval stained glass panel to 3-light window, armorial bearing: Pickering. Black marble wall tablet to north side, Jane Cook (died 1771), architrave and pediment. East window has stained glass of 1907. Former font, early to mid C17, timber, octagonal moulded bowl on 16-sided shaft with octagonal pyramidal timber cover. Built as the chapel to Killington Hall (q.v.) by Pickering family and became parochial in 1585.

placename:- Church of All Saints
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD61328899
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- The 'University Organ' -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Lamp. -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Lamp. -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Embroidered panel by the east window, design by Rosemary Darby,1988 -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Embroidered panel by the east window, design by Rosemary Darby,1988 -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Parish chest. -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Harmonium -- 21.12.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Harmonium, maker:- -- 'J. Estey & Co.' -- of Brattleboro, Vermont. -- 28.1.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- Harmonium, retailer:- -- 'WILKINSON & SONS / (EST' 1829) / PIANOS, ORGANS, HARMONIUMS / KENDAL' -- 28.1.2011

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- 21.12.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large All Saints Church -- Killington -- Killington -- Cumbria / -- 21.12.2012

hearsay This was once the chapel for the Pickering Family at Killington Hall. It was made parochial in 1585; the tower and bells came about 1711; restored 1824, 1868, 1895.

button   ring of bells, Cockermouth
button   ring of bells, Orton
button   sundial, Bolton
button   sundial, Bolton (2)
button   sundial, Cockermouth (2)
button   sundial, Culgaith
button   sundial, Lupton
button   sundial, Renwick
button   sundial, Watermillock
button   war memorial, Allhallows
button   war memorial, Boltons
button   war memorial, Calthwaite
button   war memorial, Renwick
button   war memorial, Underbarrow
button   war memorial, Watermillock

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.