button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Rayrigg Bank
other name:- Queen Adelaide's Hill
other name:- Adelaide Hill
locality:- Windermere
parish Windermere parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
hill; viewpoint
coordinates:- SD401982
10Km square:- SD49

1Km square SD4098

descriptive text:- Farington 1789 (plate 19)

20 engravings, Views of the Lakes in Cumberland and Westmorland, drawn by Joseph Farington, published by William Byrne, London, 1789.
thumbnail BMZ09, button to large image
Print, engraving, View looking down Windermere, taken above Rarig ie Rayrigg, Lakes, Cumbria, painted by Joseph Farington, engraved by W Byrne and T Medland, published by W Byrne, 69 Titchfield Street, London, 1789.
A farmer on horseback drives cattle up Rayrigg Bank in the foreground, Belle Isle is clear in the lake.
Plate 19 from Views of the Lakes, &c, in Cumberland and Westmorland, published 1789; with descriptive text:-
VIEW looking down WINDERMERE from above RARIG. ... Rarig, which lies below, is placed near the Road leading from Bowness to Ambleside, and is a Situation much admired for the many beautiful Points of View which are found in its Vicinity.

placename:- Rarig
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late

hearsay Queen Adelaide, dowager queen of William IV, landed here 2 July 1840 and ascended the bank. She renamed it Queen Adelaide's Hill.

button   station, Rayrigg Bank

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.