button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
place:- roman fort, Low Borrow Bridge
locality:- Low Borrowbridge
parish Tebay parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
roman fort
coordinates:- NY609012
10Km square:- NY60

1Km square NY6001

old map:- Ford 1839 map

Map of the Lake District, published in A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, 1839.
thumbnail FD02SD59, button to large image
Castle
county:- Westmoreland
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

descriptive text:- Otley 1823 (8th edn 1849)

Guidebook, Concise Description of the English Lakes, later A Description of the English Lakes, by Jonathan Otley, published by the author, Keswick, Cumberland, by J Richardson, London, and by Arthur Foster, Kirky Lonsdale, Cumbria, 1823 onwards.
image OT80P189, button   goto source.
Page 189:-
[Low Borrow Bridge] ... Behind the house is a Roman Station, now called Castle Field, consisting of a square inclosure, 360 feet in length, and 300 in breadth. On the sides facing the east, north, and west, are the remains of the walls; and on the latter side, the traces of two fosses. Where the east gate stood, is a stone, which was dug out a few years ago, and it is evidently one of the original sockets, the groove for the hinge remaining as perfect as if freshly cut. Sherds of Roman pottery have been found; and a silver coin of the reign of Aurelian. From the style of the cutting or quartering of the facing stones, (many of which have been used in building the outhouses, in order to preserve them,) there is no doubt that this station is coeval with Overborough, and is the site of the long lost and much disputed Alone. The very name seems to warrant this opinion; for it is the first station on the Lune (or Lone); and what so natural as to give it the title from the river which watered its walls? The remains of several buildings have been discovered between the eastern wall and the river.

other name:- Castle Field
other name:- Alone
date:- 1849
period:- 19th century, early

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5NY60SW, button to large image
Castle
circle; roman fort?
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

old map:- Hall 1820 (Wmd)

Map, Westmoreland ie Westmorland, now Cumbria, scale about 14.5 miles to 1 inch, by Sidney Hall, London, 1820, published by Samuel Leigh, 18 Strand, London, 1820-31.
thumbnail HA18, button to large image
Castle
circle, italic lowercase text; settlement

placename:- Castle
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1820
period:- 19th century, early; 1820s

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.