button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Rookhow
other name:- Rookhow Meeting House
other name:- Rusland Meeting House
other name:- Colton Meeting House
locality:- Rusland
parish Colton parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
meeting house; quaker meeting
coordinates:- SD33258955
10Km square:- SD38

1Km square SD3389

photograph

Rookhow -- Rusland -- Colton -- Cumbria / -- The main building. -- 2.2.2007

source:- OS County Series (Lan 8)

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
Abbot Oak / Quakers' Meeting Ho.

placename:- Abbot Oak
date:- 1847=1851
period:- 19th century, late; 1840s; 1850s

source:- see:- : : Quaker Administrative History

ROOKHOW, Lancs, after 1974 Cumbr ... NY332895
Meeting house built for the holding of monthly meetings only by Swarthmore MM
COLTON, Cumb, after 1974 Cumbr ... see ROOKHOW
RUSLAND, Lancs, after 1974 Cumbr ... see ROOKHOW

placename:- Rookhow Meeting House
other name:- Colton Meeting House
other name:- Rusland Meeting House
coordinates:- NY332895

drawing:- Butler 1978

courtesy of David Butler
Quaker Meeting Houses of the Lake Counties by David M Butler, published by the Friends Historical Society, 1978; ISBN 0 85245 128 8 (pbk)
thumbnail PR1542, button to large image
thumbnail PR1543, button to large image

placename:- Rookhow Meeting House
locality:- Swarthmore Monthly Meeting
date:- 1978
period:- 1970s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
ROOK HOW FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE AND COTTAGE / / / COLTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 421771 / SD3322389542
courtesy of English Heritage
Meeting house and house. Date 1725 on door latch and spice cupboard door. Roughcast stone with slate roof. 2 storeys, 5 bays, the 3rd bay projects as 2-storey gabled porch, the 1st 2 bays are single storey. Most windows have wooden mullions chamfered to inside, of 2 lights to windows flanking entrance and to 5th bay, of 3 lights to 1st floor of 3rd bay and to 4th bay; most, except for 4th and 5th bays of ground floor, have leaded glazing with rectangular quarries. 1st 2 bays have 40-pane sashes. Segmental-headed entrance has ledged and battened door with strap hinges and 5 three-sided steps. Gable-end stack with rounded shaft. Later lean-to porch to right return. Rear has casement windows to 2 bays to left hand end with central cross-mullion stair window with intermediate bars and leaded glazing, diamond quarries. Interior of porch has stair to former gallery and entrances to meeting house and house; that to meeting house has decorative ironwork to latch; including date. Meeting house has bench to dais and wall supports to other benches; now removed. Gallery on 2 round timber posts has balustrade, with timber partitioning dating from early C20 when gallery was converted to bedroom. House has plank and muntin partitions, with moulding to muntins, to ground and 1st floors; 2-panel doors; dog-leg stair. Spice cupboard door has date and H hinges; hat pegs to ground-floor room. A well preserved meeting house with house attached, also well preserved.

placename:- Rook How Friends' Meeting House
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD33228954
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
STABLE TO NORTH EAST OF ROOK HOW MEETING HOUSE / / / COLTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 421773 / SD3325089554
courtesy of English Heritage
Former stables. c.1725. Stone rubble with slate roof. Barn doors under pentice with former entrance with timber lintel to left, with inserted window. Right return has entrance with windows to right and above with small-paned fixed glazing. Window to left gable end. Interior has inserted floor at one end, with some partitioning to upper level.
district:- South Lakeland
listed building -- stable
coordinates:- SD33258955
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

hearsay I am not clear which of the buildings on the site is the meeting house.
Rookhow was built 1725 for Monthly Meetings, and is still in use. The room adjoining is known as the Friends' Kitchen, where a 'monster kettle' hung in a corner of the 'quaint open fireplace'.

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.