button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St Paul's Church
other name:- Carlisle Church
locality:- Carlisle
parish Carlisle city, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
church; chapel
coordinates:- NY40425589
10Km square:- NY45
References Nurse 1918

1Km square NY4055

Now part of a baptist ministry.
photograph

St Paul's Church -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- 14.11.2008

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1ins2, button to large image
CARLISLE / ST. PAUL
United benefice with St Mary, one parish.
site name:- Archdeaconry of Carlisle
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST PAUL / / LONSDALE STREET / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 386790 / NY4040555867
courtesy of English Heritage
Church of England Church, now Elim Church. 1869-70 by Habershon and Brock. Quarry-faced red sandstone on chamfered plinth, with stepped buttresses and string course. Graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables and cross finials. 5-bay nave with aisles and transepts; north-east tower base/porch and south vestry. West double doors in shallow-gabled porch, moulded arch with shafts, under large plate-traceried window and rose window in gable. Flanking similar small windows in aisles. Aisles to north and south have paired lancets with quatrefoil heads. Paired clerestory sunk cinquefoil windows in blind paired arches. Transepts have plate traceried windows. Tower base has door similar to the west doorway. Chancel has paired lancets and a plate tracery east window. Vestry has plank door in chamfered flattened arch.
INTERIOR: pointed aisle arches of alternating red and yellow blocks of sandstone on round columns. Carved oak pulpit inscribed to memory of Samuel Waldegrave (Bishop of Carlisle). Some C19 and C20 stained glass in east window and nave. Open timber roof. C20 screen at west end.
HISTORY: original plans dated 1869 are in Cumbria County Record Office, Ca/E4/1044. The Carlisle Journal (1870) records the laying of the foundation stone; consecrated 30 November 1870. Became Church of St Paul and St Mary in 1932; closed 1976 and declared redundant 1978 when all fittings were removed. (Carlisle Journal: 1 February 1870).

placename:- Church of St Paul
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY40405586
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photocopy Whitehead 1885:-
vol.8 p.531

image t1008531.jpg
Whitehead, H: 1885: Church Bells in Cumberland Ward, part I: TransCWAAS: vol.8: pp.505-531

button   cross, Irton
button   post box, Witherslack (2)
button   ring of bells, Irton
button   sundial, Witherslack
button   war memorial, Irton
button   war memorial, Witherslack

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.