button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
place:- Alston Meeting House
locality:- Alston
parish Alston Moor parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
meeting house; quaker meeting
coordinates:- NY71944637
10Km square:- NY74
References Butler 1978

1Km square NY7146

photograph

meeting house, Alston -- Alston -- Alston Moor -- Cumbria / -- 25.7.2009

source:- see:- : : Quaker Administrative History

ALSTON, Cumb, after 1974 Cumbr ... NY719464
1668-1902 ... Allendale MM
1981- ... Carlisle & Holm MM

placename:- Alston Meeting House
locality:- Allendale Monthly Meeting
locality:- Carlisle and Holm Monthly Meeting
coordinates:- NY719464

drawing:- Butler 1978

courtesy of David Butler
Quaker Meeting Houses of the Lake Counties by David M Butler, published by the Friends Historical Society, 1978; ISBN 0 85245 128 8 (pbk)
thumbnail PR1490, button to large image
thumbnail PR1491, button to large image

placename:- Alston Meeting House
locality:- Carlisle Monthly Meeting
date:- 1974
period:- 1970s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
WALLS TO BURIAL GROUND IN FRONT OF QUAKER MEETING HOUSE / / FRONT STREET / ALSTON MOOR / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 73119 / NY7194746375
courtesy of English Heritage
Drystone walls with triangular coping stones to south and west sides; C20 wooden gate on east side is flanked by sections of drystone wall with flat copings. All these walls are c4 ft high, but the section of the east wall adjoining the Meeting House is c8 ft high of coursed rubble with segmental copings.
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY71944637
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
QUAKER MEETING HOUSE / / FRONT STREET / ALSTON MOOR / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 73118 / NY7193846381
courtesy of English Heritage
Meeting House, built at right angles to road, dated 1732. Coursed, squared rubble on plinth. Graduated stone-flagged roof with stone chimney to east end. Originally single-storey, 1st floor was added in 1764; originally 4-bay with mullioned 2-light windows, now 3-bay. Gabled porch has lintel dated 1732, but porch and single sashes with glazing bars on either side were added after 1848. Only one 2-light mullioned window has been retained; on 1st floor, it is blocked and painted in trompe l'oeil fashion.
district:- Eden
listed building
coordinates:- NY71934638
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.