|place:-||ring of bells, Crosthwaite|
|site name:-||St Mary's Church|
Crosthwaite and Lyth
parish, once in Westmorland
|ring of bells|
ring of bells, Crosthwaite -- St Mary's Church -- Crosthwaite -- Crosthwaite and Lyth -- Cumbria / -- Peal board -- '... A Peal of Plain Bob (720 changes) was rung in this Tower on Sunday March 13th. 1910. being the first peal accomplished by local Ringers ...' -- 9.4.2010
number of bells: 6
weight of tenor: 9 cwt 3 qtr 21 lb (1113lbs)
pitch of tenor: G (788Hz)
G, A, B, C, D, E
First 6 notes; intervals TTSTT; G major.bells cast by John Warner and Sons, 1885.
|Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers|
Handley, Diana: 1983: Notes on Furness Branch Bells:::
inscriptions and history
A tower was added to the church in 1626 at the cost of
William Gilpin, Windyhowe, and gave 3 bells.
Bell 1 inscribed:-
[Jesus be our speed.]
Bell 2 inscribed:-
[Soli Deo Gloria.]
Bell 3 inscribed:-
[A young man grave in Godliness William Gilpin by name gave ~50 to make these sounds to God's eternal fame.]
A new tower was built, 1885, and:-
... a peal of six bells and the necessary machinery for chiming same ...
In 1773 the church at Kendal sold or gave 3 of their old bells to this church - one bell cast late 15th or early 16th century; two bells cast by Christopher Hodson, London, 1695. The metal of these bells was probably used in the new 6 cast by John Warner and Sons, 1885. The bell frame was wood with plain bearings; the ring was tuned and rehung with roller bearings by John Taylor and Co, Loughborough, 1982.
Windsor, E P L: 1997: St Mary's Church Crosthwaite::: leaflet available in church
|Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013|