|place:-||ring of bells, Whitehaven|
|site name:-||St James's Church|
Whitehaven borough, once in
|ring of bells|
ring of bells, Whitehaven -- St James's Church -- Whitehaven -- Whitehaven -- Cumbria / -- Bellringing window. -- 14.10.2005
number of bells: 12
weight of tenor: 16 cwt 0 qtr 1 lb (1793lbs)
pitch of tenor: F (693Hz)
F, G, A, B flat, C, D, E, F, G, A, B flat, C
Octave plus 4 notes; intervals TTSTTTSTTST; F major.Bells 1 and 2 cast by John Taylor Bellfounders, 1998; 3-5 by John Taylor and Co, 1978; 6-9 by John Taylor and Co, 1908; 10 by Henry Oldfield, 1586; 11 by George Oldfield, 1624; 12 by John Taylor and Co, 1872.
|Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers|
A single bell was bought of Thomas Mears, London, 1753. A
ring of 10 bells was dedicated 1978 - 7 of the bells came
from St Alkmund, Derby; the front 3 were cast from the
'original' bell. Two new bells were added 1998.
Bell 1 or 2 commemorates Rev Russell Rebert, and carries the symbol of the church of Sri Lanka
Bell 2 or 1 was paid for by Copeland Borough Council, and carries their coat of arms, called the Copeland Bell.
:: Guide to the Parish Church of St James the Greater::: leaflet available in church
The sexton of St. Nicholas (Mr. T. Maclean), while ringing
for service in September, 1819. was caught round the thigh
by a coil of rope, and dashed twice with terrific force to
the ceiling. In addition to local injuries to neck and
shoulder, he suffered a profound nervous shock.
Morris, Ernest: 1931: History and Art of Change Ringing: Chapman and Hall (London)
|Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013|