button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
place:- ring of bells, Broughton in Furness
site name:- St Mary's Church
locality:- Broughton in Furness
parish Broughton West parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
ring of bells
coordinates:- SD20938737
10Km square:- SD28

1Km square SD2087

source:- Dove 2009

diocese:- Carlisle Diocese
locality:- Broughton in Furness
coordinates:- SD209874

photocopy Harper 1901:-
series 2 vol.2 p.295

image t2002295.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.296

image t2002296.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.297

image t2002297.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.298

image t2002298.jpg
series 2 vol.2 plate opp p.298

image t2002e03.jpg
series 2 vol.2 plate opp p.299

image t2002e04.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.299

image t2002299.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.300

image t2002300.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.301

image t2002301.jpg
Gaythorpe, Harper: 1901: Church Bells in the Archdeaconry of Furness; Colton, Kirkby Ireleth, Broughton, Woodland, and Seathwaite: TransCWAAS: series 2 vol.2: pp.282-306

Dove data number of bells: 12
weight of tenor: 12 cwt 1 qtr 2 lb (1374lbs)
pitch of tenor: F sharp (760Hz)
F sharp, G sharp, A sharp, B, C sharp, D sharp, E sharp, F sharp, G sharp, A sharp, B, C sharp
Octave plus 4 notes; intervals TTSTTTSTTST; F sharp major.
Bells 1-3 cast by John Taylor Bellfounders 1994, 1993 and 1996; 4 by John Taylor and Co, 1980; 5-11 by John Taylor and Co, 1900; 12 by John Taylor and Co, 1973. There is an unused bell, cast about 1399.
Dove 2009
Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers

references Handley, Diana: 1983: Notes on Furness Branch Bells::: inscriptions and history

notes There were once just 2 bells; one of these, cast in the 15th century, is preserved in the body of the church; inscribed:-
[John is my name]

-- Old bell, inscribed:- -- [JOHANNES EST NOMEN MEUM] -- late 14th early 15th century. It was used up to 1869. It then went to Ecclerigg but was returned here 1948. -- 25.8.2010
: 2002 (?): Welcome to St Mary Magdalene Broughton Parish Church::: leaflet available in church

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.