button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Abbey Gate
other name:- Priory Gate
site name:- Carlisle Cathedral
locality:- Carlisle
parish Carlisle city, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
building/s; gate
coordinates:- NY39815595
10Km square:- NY35
References Listed Buildings 2010

1Km square NY3955


Abbey Gate -- Carlisle Cathedral -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- From Abbey Street. -- 17.9.2012

Abbey Gate -- Carlisle Cathedral -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- 17.9.2012

old painting:-
thumbnail PR0917, button to large image
Painting, watercolour, The Abbey Gate, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Robert Carlyle snr, 1791.
Summertime; two figures stand conversing in the roadway outside Abbey Gate.
One of a set of 11 original drawings for proposed aquatints The Antiquities of the City of Carlisle, 1791.
The work was adapted by Matthew Ellis Nutter, being executed as one of a series of 17 works by Carlyle and published by Thurnam as Carlisle in the Olden Time, 1835. See CALMG:1978.108.74.1
inscribed at bottom centre:-

placename:- Abbey Gate
date:- 1791
period:- 18th century, late

old drawing:-
thumbnail PR1195, button to large image
Drawing, Abbey Gate, Abbey Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Thomas Bushby, 1895.
View of Abbey Gate with entrance to Abbey Street on right. Several figures pass along street or beneath archway.
inscribed & dated at bottom left:-
Abbey Gate, Carlisle 1895.
signed at bottom centre:-
T. Bushby

placename:- Abbey Gate
date:- 1895
period:- 19th century, late

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
courtesy of English Heritage
Formerly known as: Abbey Street Lodge The Abbey.
Gate tower to St Mary's Priory and attached gatehouse. For Prior Slee, inscribed and dated 1528. Weathered red sandstone ashlar, some dressings of calciferous sandstone, on chamfered plinth, string courses and eaves cornice; clasping buttresses carried up on each angle as stone chimney stacks. Graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables. 2-storey, single-bay gate tower, with attached low 2-storey, 2-bay gatehouse at rear right. At the top of Abbey Street and was the main gate from that street into the Priory, now a gate into the Cathedral grounds. The Abbey Street facade has a large central rounded archway with triple chamfer; the vaulted arch has a further recessed round archway fitted with double gates and a left rounded-arch pedestrian gate. Over the arch is a 3-light Tudor window with hoodmould; gabled above. The rear is similar to the facade but with a Latin inscription on the arch and the window above without hood. The gatehouse projects with a gable and then a half gable and appears to be contemporary with the tower but sash windows have been inserted, some are perhaps in the original surrounds. From the roof crease on the left of the archway it appears that there was a corresponding gatehouse symmetrically placed on that side, which was demolished to make way for the Bishop's Library, nearby, in 1699 (or during the Civil War). For further details see Perriam, CWAAS,Trans.NS LXXXVII.
INTERIORS not inspected.
Included in this listing is the fragment of wall which extends over Dean Tait's Lane to join with No.48 Abbey Street and now cut by a C19 archway; this could be the remains of an earlier gate tower on this site, or an adjoining Priory building.
Cumb. & West. Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc., New Series: Perriam DR: LXXXVII: The Demolition of the Priory of St Mary: P.142-4

placename:- Abbey Gate
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39815595
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

tiny photograph, 
button to large Abbey Gate -- Carlisle Cathedral -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- 17.9.2012 -- Inscription.
tiny photograph, 
button to large Abbey Gate -- Carlisle Cathedral -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- From The Abbey. -- 17.9.2012

notes gateway and walls
Perriam, D R & Robinson, J: 1998: Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria: CWAAS:: ISBN 1 873124 23 6; pland and illustration

button   Carlisle: Abbey Street

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.