button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
place:- College of Matrons
place:- Hospital of Christ
locality:- Wigton
parish Wigton parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
almshouse
coordinates:- NY255482
10Km square:- NY24

1Km square NY2548

photograph

almshouses, Wigton -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- 11.4.2007
photograph

almshouses, Wigton -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- Plaque:- -- 'Collegium Matronarum / Provento annuo / Instruxit / John Thomlinson A.M. / Erexit / Robt. ejus Frater S.T.P. / A.D. 1723.' -- 11.4.2007

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 186:-
...
At Wigton, a market town, is an hospital founded 1725 by John Thomlinson, M.A. rector of Rothbury, c. Northumberland, for six poor widows of clergymen of the diocese of Carlisle, or of that part of Cumberland which is in the diocese of Chester, incorporated by the name of the governess and sisters of the college of matrons, or hospital of Christ, in Wigton, c. Cumberland, and endowed with £.54. per annum. ...

placename:- College of Matrons
other name:- Hospital of Christ
hospital
person:- : Thomlinson, John
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
/ 40238 / CHURCH STREET / WIGTON / ALLERDALE / CUMBRIA / II / 72019 / NY2558848299
district:- Allerdale
listed building
coordinates:- NY25584829
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.