button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Lakeland
locality:- Carlisle
parish Carlisle city, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
building/s; shop; clothes shop
coordinates:- NY40125591
10Km square:- NY45
References Listed Buildings 2010

1Km square NY4055

photograph

Lakeland -- Carlisle -- Carlisle -- Cumbria / -- 9.7.2013

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
/ 11 / ENGLISH STREET / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 386716 / NY4011955914
courtesy of English Heritage
House converted to shop with storage accommodation over. Late C18 with C20 alterations. Red sandstone ashlar with V-jointed calciferous sandstone quoins and dentilled cornice. Graduated greenslate roof with rebuilt end brick chimney stack. 3 storeys, 3 bays. Entire ground floor has late C20 shop front. Sash windows above in painted stone architraves.
INTERIOR: ground floor extensively altered. A painting by an unknown artist of the Market Place (Carlisle Museum) shows the ground floor when a house. In 1816 this became Thurnams, stationer and printers, who remained here into the 1960s. An 1835 painting of the Market Place by WH Nutter (Carlisle Museum) shows this as Thurnams. An 1860s photograph (William Brown Library, Liverpool) of the James Steel statue (qv) shows this building in the background, still with its original ground floor. Later alteration of the ground floor incorporated a canopy, held by the 4 brackets which survive over the ground floor.
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY40115591
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.