button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Diocesan Church Centre
parish Carlisle city, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
building/s; school
coordinates:- NY39925582
10Km square:- NY35
References Listed Buildings 2010

1Km square NY3955

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
DIOCESAN CHURCH CENTRE / / WEST WALLS / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 386915 / NY3992055827
courtesy of English Heritage
Grammar School, now Church Centre and library. 1832 and 1851 extensions, for the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle Cathedral. Coursed red sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth. Graduated Welsh slate roof, partly hipped; C19 red sandstone gable chimney stack. Single-storey, single-bay original school, has single-bay extension, then 4-bay extension, all in one row. Car-park facade has oldest part at left; large 5-light stone mullioned window with curved head and hoodmould. This and the 1832 extension have facing gables; 1832 extension has a 3-light cross-mullioned window. 1851 extension has C20 left door in original lean-to porch, dated on carved ribbon over entrance. Further bays are set back with 2-light stone mullioned windows and C20 right door in C20 surround. Left return wall has C20 mullioned windows to match the C19 ones. West Walls facade has stone-mullioned windows those to right being C20.
INTERIOR not inspected.
The Grammar School was of royal foundation and formed part of the Cathedral, hence within the Cathedral grounds, on the site of the former malt kiln of the Priory of St Mary. Became the Choir School of the Cathedral when a new Grammar School was built in 1883. Threatened with demolition in 1977, but converted to its present use shortly afterwards. A plan of 1827 in Cumbria County Record Office (D & C 2/1) shows that the 1806 Grammar School was demolished to make way for the 1832 rebuilding. Included for group value and historical interest.

placename:- Diocesan Church Centre
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39925582
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.