button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Kingdom Hall
parish Carlisle city, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
building/s
coordinates:- NY39695557
10Km square:- NY35
References Listed Buildings 2010

1Km square NY3955

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
KINGDOM HALL OF THE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES / / CHARLOTTE STREET / CARLISLE / CARLISLE / CUMBRIA / II / 386664 / NY3969155572
courtesy of English Heritage
Congregational Church now Jehovah's Witnesses. Foundation stone dated 30 APRIL 1860, by Ralph Nicholson of Halifax; extension dated on foundation stone 5 AUGUST 1878, by the same architect. Quarry-faced calciferous sandstone with flush quoins and flying buttresses. Graduated greenslate roofs, pyramidal in centre with finial; ashlar ridge chimney stacks. 3-storey central octagonal drum has flanking 2-storey, 3- and 4-bay wings; further 3-bay left extension. Drum has 3 faces at front and rear, each face having pointed arched blind ground floor windows and 5-light first floor lancets; tracery windows above in gabled 1/2 dormers, but one on each side has an uninscribed stone panel instead. Wings have pointed arched doorways the one on the right, up steps, within a gabled stone porch. Pointed porch and lancets some of them paired. Extension has similar door in gabled porch and lancets. Lecture room has apsidal ends, lancets and traceried windows.
INTERIOR of drum has had all fixtures and fittings removed; the galleries remain, boxed in with false ceiling. Beaty (1905) says "the arrangements of the interior are not satisfactory". Plans for the extension are in Cumbria County Record Office, Ca/E4/1094. (Beaty: Illustrated Guide to Carlisle: 1905-: P.40).

placename:- Kingdom Hall of the Jehovah's Witnesses
district:- Carlisle
listed building
coordinates:- NY39695557
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.