button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Moore Memorial Fountain
locality:- Wigton
parish Wigton parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
memorial; drinking fountain
coordinates:- NY25494839
10Km square:- NY24
References Listed Buildings 2010

1Km square NY2548

photograph

Moore Memorial Fountain -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- Erected in memory of his first wife, 1871, displacing the well loved village pump. -- 11.4.2007
photograph

Moore Memorial Fountain -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- 27.7.2013
photograph

Moore Memorial Fountain -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- 27.7.2013
photograph

Moore Memorial Fountain -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- 27.7.2013
photograph

Moore Memorial Fountain -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- 27.7.2013
photograph

Moore Memorial Fountain -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- 27.7.2013

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
MOORE MEMORIAL FOUNTAIN / / MARKET PLACE / WIGTON / ALLERDALE / CUMBRIA / II / 72040 / NY2549148386
courtesy of English Heritage
Drinking fountain memorial. 1872-3 by J.T. Knowles with panels by Thomas Woolner; inscribed THIS MEMORIAL WAS ERECTED BY GEORGE MOORE OF WHITEHALL, HIGH SHERIFF OF CUMBERLAND AD 1872, IN LOVING MEMORY OF HIS WIFE, ELIZA, WHO DIED ON THE 4TH OF DECEMBER, 1858. Polished Shap granite; aluminium bronze panels; gilt decoration. Square base with projecting fountain bowls on each face. Stepped plinth and square shaft, with panel on each face representing the Acts of Mercy, 340 separate castings by Messrs Hardman of Birmingham to designs by Woolner. Egg and tongue decorated cornice, under 4 pediments enclosing medallion busts of Mrs Moore also by Woolner. Pyramid spire with angle decorations and each face cut away in a foliated gilded pattern; ball and cross gilded bronze finial. Cost 12,000. See T.W. Carrick, History of Wigton, 1949, pp161-3.

placename:- Moore Memorial Fountain
district:- Allerdale
listed building
coordinates:- NY25494838
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Moore Memorial Fountain -- Wigton -- Wigton -- Cumbria / -- 27.7.2013

hearsay The water comes from Boiling Springs, Bolton Park. When first released it jetted high over the roof of the King's Arms.
The idea for clean water came from Eliza Moore, wife of George Moore, at a time when fear of cholera was high, with a consequent concern for improving sanitation. The Temperance movement also prompted the desire for a better water supply; a neighbour of the Moores was Sir Wilfrid Lawson, president of the United Alliance of Temperance Societies. Delays from getting permissions and making compensations meant that the fountain was not finished till 1873, 15 years after Eliza Moore had died.

The fountain was designed by James T Knowles, and decorated with panels by the sculptor Thomas Woolner - 'Visiting the Afflicted', 'Instructing the Ignorant', 'Clothing the Naked', and 'Feeding the Hungry'.

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.