button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Hodbarrow Mine
locality:- Hodbarrow
parish Millom parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
iron mine; mine
coordinates:- SD1779
10Km square:- SD17

1Km square SD1779

hearsay The mine works one of the largest bodies of haematite iron ore ever found, it is discovered in the 1850s within the Carboniferous limestone. The mine was opened by Nathaniel Crane and John Barrett, 1855. The iron content of the haematite ore, iron oxide, Fe2O3, was very high. The workings were often flooded by the sea; in 1890 a sea barrier was built, which collapsed in 1900; a new barrier built 1904 and still stands. The mne closed 1967.

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.