button to main menu  Camden's Britannia, edn 1789

button title page
button previous page button next page
button start of Cumberland
Page 204:-
  Castle Crag.
upon the Britans, and drew the wall 132 miles from sea to sea. Officina Mercati means the company of workmen under Mercatius, whose name with the addition of Fermius is repeated. The more modern words Officium Romanorum are now effaced [b]. Q. if not intended for opisicium Romanorum by some monk. Mr. Hutchinson [c] copied the whole very differently. On an eminence about two miles hence is Castle Carrock or Crag, a square vallum of loose stones, each side 120 paces wide [d].
  Cumrew. Dunwalloght castle.
  Dunwalloght Castle
In the parish of Cumrew adjoining to that of Castle Carrock about a quarter of a mile south-east from the church are ruins of a large castle or building, situate on a rising ground very near the bottom of Cumrew fell. This seems to be Dunwalloght castle mentioned in Dugdale's Baronage, II. 22. as situate on the marches towards Scotland and belonging to the Dacres [e].
  Naworth Castle
  roman inscription

Naworth, "a fair castle called the lord Davers [f]," is still intire and inhabited, though not by the earl of Carlisle, whose property it is. It is large, and built round a square court, overhanging the river Irthing at a great height, with towers at each corner. Over the south gate and door are the arms of the Dacres and Howards. The rooms are numerous, ascended to by 16 staircases, the great hall 25 paces long by nine and a half, with a gallery at one end. The top and upper end painted on wood in squares with Saxon kings and heroes brought from Kirk Oswald castle, when it was demolished [g]. Within this is another room hung with tapestry, with portraits of Anne of Cleves and the family. Lord William Howard's bed-room has his arms and motto over the chimney. His library is a small room in a very secret place high up in one of the towers well secured by doors and narrow staircases; not a book added since his time. In it is a vast case, three feet high, opening into three leaves, on which are pasted in six great pages an account of the foundation of Glastonbury abbey by Joseph of Arimathea, and a long history of saints with their indulgences. The roof is coarsely carved, the windows high, ascended by three stone steps. It is said lord William was very studious, and wrote much; and that once when he was thus employed, a servant announced the arrival of a prisoner, and asking what was to be done with him, his master, vexed at the interruption, peevishly bid him hang him, which order he wished to have recalled when he found it was executed. He constantly kept a garrison of 140 men here, and his severity was of great importance in this lawless tract. his dungeon consists of three dark apartments below, and one above up a long staircase all well secured. In the upper a ring to which criminals were chained, and the marks of many more. The gallery is 150 feet long. Close by the library is an antient oratory well secured, the cieling richly ornamented with coats of arms and carving painted and gilt. On one side a good painting on wood of the style of Lucas van Leyden, of the Scourging, Crucifixion, and Resurrection of Christ; also various sculptures in white marble. Here his lordship enjoyed his religion in privacy. The chapel is below stairs, the top and part of the sides painted in pannels like the hall, and with the crests and arms of the family to 1623 and 1644. On the ceiling a man with a genealogical tree, and under him Pictor MCXII. In the east window a knight and lady, with three escallops and chequè on their mantles [h]. This castle is first mentioned 18 Richard II. It continued in the Dacres till the death of lord George 1569, whose sister married lord William Howard. It was again repaired by Charles Howard earl of Carlisle, who left the library in good order. The MSS. were enumerated in the Cat. Manuscriptorum Ang. & Hib. tom.II. p.14. chiefly relating to heraldry and English history, but not above one or two are now here. In the garden walls was fixed a collection of Roman inscriptions from the neighbourhood (this being the greatest receptacle in this county except that at Elenborough hall [i]), which, when Dr. Stukeley was here, were neglected, and some even cut up to make gateposts [k]. The remainder were given by the late earl to sir Thomas Robinson, and are now neglected and abused in the museum at Rookby, the seat of Bacon Morrit, esq. Among these are Horsley's Cumb. viii. ix. x. lviii. Others first published by Horsley, and not traceable since his time, when they were all much neglected, are Cumb. xii. xiii. xiv. xv. p.255. and an altar cut through the middle for a gate post, which never had an inscription. Bishop Gibson has copied Horsley's viii. ix. at Naworth, though Camden had given it at Burdoswald. Horsley takes no notice of the other two which he gives. We have copied from Horsley those in Pl.XIV. fig.2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
The following was found April 1744 in a wall of George Wright's house at Naworth on rebuilding it: not unlike Horsley's Cumb. xxiv. Pl.XIV, 6.

PIA. FID. F. ...

Legio sexta Victrix
Pia fidelis fecit. [l]
Mr. Smith communicated also another in the south-east wall of Naworth garden unpublished:

C. L. B[TR]T.
which he read Peditum centum quinquaginta Britanorum [m].
  Lanercost Priory
"Lenercost, an abbay of black canons, eight miles from Cairleul, on the notth (sic) side of the river Yrthing [n]," founded by Robert de Vallibus 1189, as an atonement for murdering Gill, son of Bueth, at an arbitration about Gillesland, and valued at £.77. [o] It stands in a romantic valley, the monastic offices converted into a farm house, and the hall is a farm. In the ruined choir, whose arches are round and the pillars circular or polygonal, are many elegant but damaged tombs of the Dacre family. One of the tombs is dated 1445. Several bodies have been found intire in the vault which is open, one with a long white beard [p]. The nave rests on pointed arches; the west front has long lancet windows, as were the east, and over them is a good figure of the patroness Mary Magdalen. The church-yard gate has a handsome round arch. Sir Thomas Dacre resided here 1559, and repaired the nave, which is commemorated by some lines in the east window. Near this place, at Shaws, a medicinal spring called Holywell issues out of a rock impregnated with sulphur, nitre, and vitriol, and good for the spleen, stone, and
[b] Horsl. 267-269.
[c] P. 163.
[d] Ib.
[e] Burn, II. 511.
[f] Lel. VI. 72.
[g] See before, p.
[h] Pennant 1772, p.73*. Hutchinson, 276. Grose.
[i] Horsl. 154.
[k] It. Cur. II. 58.
[l] Gent. Mag. 1744. 340.
[m] Ib. 1746. 537.
[n] Lel. VI. 71.
[o] Tan. 77.
[p] Grose. Hutchinson, 267-277. Pennant Ib. 77*.
gazetteer links
button -- (castle, Castle Carrock)
button -- "Dunwalloght Castle" -- Dunwalloght Castle
button -- "Holywell" -- Holywell
button -- Lanercost Priory
button -- "Naworth castle" -- Naworth Castle (?)
button -- Naworth
button -- Written Rock of Gelt
button next page

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.