button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
Lowwood Gunpowder Mills, Haverthwaite
Lowwood Gunpowder Mills
Low Wood Gunpowder Mills
site name:-   Leven, River
locality:-   Low Wood
civil parish:-   Haverthwaite (formerly Lancashire)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   gunpowder mill
coordinates:-   SD34718375 (etc) 
1Km square:-   SD3483
10Km square:-   SD38

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Lan 12 6) 
placename:-  Low Wood Gunpowder Works
placename:-  Wood Gunpowder Works, Low
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.

evidence:-   descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821) 
placename:-  Low Wood Gunpowder Mills
source data:-   Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P026, button  goto source
Page 26, footnote:-  "... From thence [Newby Bridge] to Bouth, on the common turnpike 3 miles. (But it might be worth while to go a little out of the way through a valley on the left hand, by Backbarrow Cotton-spinning-mills, the iron founderies, and Low-wood Gunpowder-mills, which are very romantically situated)."

evidence:-   old map:- West 1784 map
source data:-   Map, hand coloured engraving, A Map of the Lakes in Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, engraved by Paas, 53 Holborn, London, about 1784.
"Gunpowder Mills"
By Low Wood. 
item:-  Armitt Library : A1221.1
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Clock Tower Works
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Central building of gunpowder works. 1849. Coursed stone rubble with limestone dressings and slate roofs. U-plan; main 2-storey block has 3-stage tower to south-east end, wide gabled block to north-west; lean-to single-storey block to south-west has 2 single-storey wings. Tower has band over 1st stage and weathered band over 2nd stage; 1st and 2nd stages have small sashed windows with glazing bars. North-east face has round-headed sashed windows with glazing bars to 1st stage. South-east round-headed entrance with radial-bar fanlight. North-west face of 2nd stage has round clock face in square recess. Top cornice and pyramidal roof with gabled louvred dormers and weather vane. South-east facade has gable end with round-headed entrance with radial bar fanlight to what is 1st floor to north-west due to slope of ground; bay to right has platform, on iron panelled girders, with steps and 1st floor wide entrance. North-east gabled 2-bay facade has datestone, figures apparently pierced through. Windows have small-paned glazing, most C20; ventilation slots to 1st floor. North-west facade of 4 bays, the 2nd 2 bays gabled. Gable has datestone and ventilation slots; 4 entrances. Right return has small windows over lean-to block. Single-storey wing to right has 3 windows and 2 blocked entrances; gable end has ball finial and sliding door. Wing behind has truncated projecting gable-end stack with flanking windows, the north-west facade with entrance and windows; rear against sloping ground."

On the River Leven; begun by the Lowwood Gunpowder Co, 1799; operated to 1935. There was a 3ft6in tramroad on site, which from 1869 had a link to Haverthwaite Station crossing the Leven by Bleaberry Holme.

Tyler, Ian: 2002: Gunpowder Mills of Cumbria: Blue Roc Publications (Threlkeld, Keswick, Cumbria):: ISBN 0 9523028 8 8

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.