button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St John, Firbank
St John's Church
Firbank Church
locality:-   Firbank
civil parish:-   Firbank (formerly Westmorland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   SD62799358
1Km square:-   SD6293
10Km square:-   SD69

BLT17.jpg (taken 31.3.2006)  
BLT18.jpg (taken 31.3.2006)  
This chapel replaced the one near Fox's Pulpit which was destroyed in a storm.

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 40 1) 
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"Church (Per Curacy) / Grave Yard"

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St John
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"CHURCH OF ST JOHN / / B6257 / FIRBANK / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 75650 / SD6279393575"
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Church. 1842. Attributed to George Webster. Stone rubble with slobbered mortar and slate roof. 4-bay nave with chancel apse and west bell turret. Top cornice and coped gables with kneelers, finials to east. Weathered buttress towards west end, and diagonal buttresses. Apse has 3 stepped lancets. West end has pointed entrance, the datestone above reading: "AD/1841". Small corbelled square bell turret has string course and projecting embattled parapet; round-headed louvred bell openings. Interior: flat ceilings, that to apse with cornice and rose. Chancel arch has canted jambs with caps. Lord's Prayer, Creed, and Commandment boards. Roll moulding round east window. West gallery over vestry and stair. Altar rail on cast iron bracketed supports."

Stephenson, William  1691 -  
Nicholson, Robert  1697 -  
Ustonson, Richard  1702 -  
Pamether, Robert  1703 -  
Rowlandson, James  1719 -  
Moor, John  1746 -  
Waistell, John  1755 -  
Garnett, John  1808 -  
Roberts, Samuel T  1844 -  
Andrew, Thomas  1847 -  
Clarke, William  1849 -  
Hathornthwaite, Richard  1868 -  
Angel, Charles  1873 -  

CEP94.jpg  Harmonium.
(taken 26.2.2016)  
CEP95.jpg  Boot scraper.
(taken 26.2.2016)  

BLT19.jpg  Painted board in the church porch:-
"This Chapel was rebuilt upon a new Site and enlarged in the year 1842 by which means 30 additional Sittings were obtained and in consequence of a Grant from the Incorporated Society for promoting the enlargement, building and repairing Churches and Chapels, the whole of that number are hereby declared to be free and unappropreated forever, in addition to 100 Sittings formerly provided, the whole of which are free. John Garnett, Minister. Thomas Bayliff, Chapel Warden." (taken 31.3.2006)  

CBR96.jpg (taken 19.9.2014)  

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.