button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- St Mark's Church
other name:- Natland Church
locality:- Natland
parish Natland parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- SD52108918
10Km square:- SD58
References : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

1Km square SD5289

photograph

St Mark's Church -- Natland -- Natland -- Cumbria / -- 12.9.2005
photograph

St Mark's Church -- Natland -- Natland -- Cumbria / -- 26.4.2009

old map:- Nurse 1918

Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, now Cumbria, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1918 and 2nd edn 1939.
thumbnail NUR1SD58, button to large image
NATLAND
site name:- Kendal Rural Deanery
site name:- Archdeaconry of Westmorland
site name:- Diocese of Carlisle
date:- 1939
period:- 1930s

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5SD58NW, button to large image
church
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF ST MARK / / / NATLAND / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 76455 / SD5210789200
courtesy of English Heritage
Parish Church 1909-1910. By Paley and Austin. Roughly coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; graduated greenslate roof; stone ridge. Late Decorated/early Perpendicular style. West Tower, nave with aisles, chancel, vestry to North, porch to South. 3-stage tower has plinth, diagonal buttresses, string course to each stage, battlemented parapet. Battlemented stair turret rises above roof of tower at North East corner. Battlemented porch has 2-centred opening with hood mould and labels with plain shields. 3-light traceried windows in pointed surrounds. Interior: 4-bay nave, 3-bay chancel. Massive circular columns to tower and crossing. Piers to aisle arcades alternately round with capitals decorated with leaves or octagonal with capitals decorated with rosettes. East window designed by Gerald E.R. Smith and carried out by A.K. Nicholson, stained glass studios, inscribed: To the GLORY OF GOD in proud and grateful memory of all those who flew up in our defence between 1939 and 1945 and especially of Sub-Lieutenant (A) ERNEST MARK CECIL MAPLES RVVR May 25th 1944 aged 19 years. 5-light window design based on Benedictus: words from the 1st and 2nd verses of the canticle inscribed across base. Outer lights: Isaiah, St Alban and St Peter to left; St John the Baptist, St Augustine, St Mark to right. Inner lights: Annunciation to left, Nativity to right. Central light: The Lord reigning from the tree of life with David and Abraham below. In the base of the windows groups of figures led by St George with the rising sun of hope behind represent all those who served in the war including service personnel and civilians such as farmers and nurses and forms an important social record.

placename:- Church of St Mark
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD52108920
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mark's Church -- Natland -- Natland -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass, commemorating Rena Blight d.2009. -- 15.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mark's Church -- Natland -- Natland -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass, commemorating George E H Keesey d.1916 and Johj H Keesey d.1944. -- 15.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mark's Church -- Natland -- Natland -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass, detail, The Somme 1816.. -- 15.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mark's Church -- Natland -- Natland -- Cumbria / -- Stained glass, detail, Arnhem 1944. -- 15.8.2012

incumbents:-
Head, Thomas 1735
Wade, William 1738
Godmond, James 1741
Towson, William 1747
Kendal, George 1777
Briggs, Thomas 1804
Thornbarrow, Thomas 1818
Corry, John 1818
Mackreth, Thomas 1819
Fawcett, Joseph 1825
Fisher, Ralph W 1828
Sampson, John 1830
Salmon, Frederick T 1861
Bowman, Isaac 1863
Inglis, James 1865
Bannerman, Edward 1866
Duncan, James I 1871
Whitaker, Charles 1875
Kewley, William 1897
Miller, Edward J 1907

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mark's Church -- Natland -- Natland -- Cumbria / -- Organ. -- 12.9.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mark's Church -- Natland -- Natland -- Cumbria / -- Mothers Union banner -- 15.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mark's Church -- Natland -- Natland -- Cumbria / -- 'DONATION FOR BREAD 1842 JOHN CREIGHTON OF NATLAND left nineteen guineas, the interest thereof to be given in bread, to poor householders attending divine service in this church.' -- 12.9.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mark's Church -- Natland -- Natland -- Cumbria / -- 'THE INCORPORATED / CHURCH BUILDING SOCIETY / GRANTED 100, A.D. 1822 & 70, / A.D. 1908 TOWARDS REBUILDING / THIS CHURCH, UPON CONDITION / THAT ALL THE SITTINGS ARE / FOR THE FREE USE OF THE / PARISHIONERS ACCORDING TO LAW.' -- 15.8.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large St Mark's Church -- Natland -- Natland -- Cumbria / -- 15.8.2012

button   war memorial, Natland

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.