button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Watercrook
other name:- Watercrook Farm
parish Natland parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
locality; building/s
coordinates:- SD51499055
10Km square:- SD59

1Km square SD5190

old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 38 12)

County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.

placename:- Watercrook
building/s
date:- 1890=1899
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

old map:- West 1784 map

A Map of the Lakes in Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire, now Cumbria, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, engraved by Paas, 53 Holborn, London, included in the Guide to the Lakes by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Westmorland, and in London, from the 3rd edition 1784, to 1821.
image Ws02SD59, button   goto source.
thumbnail Ws02SD59, button to large image

placename:- Water-crook
building/s
county:- Westmorland

descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821)

Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P183, button   goto source.
Page 183:-
...
There is a most pleasant morning ride of five miles, down the east side of the river. Watercrook is one mile distant, on the right, close by the side of the Kent. This is the Concangium of the Romans, where a body of the Vigilatores (or watchmen) kept guard, and was the intermediate station betwixt the Dictis at Ambleside, and the garrison at
image WS21P184, button   goto source.
Page 184:-
Overborough. The line of the foss may be still traced, though much defaced by the plough. Altars, coins, and inscribed stones, have been found here. And in the wall of the barn, on the very area of the station, is still legible, the inscription preserved by Mr. Horsley,[1] to the memory of two freed men, with an imprecation against any one who should contaminate their sepulchre, and a fine to the fiscal. There is also an altar without an inscription, and a Silenus without a head. ...
[1] Brit. page 300.

placename:- Concangium
person:- unit : Vigilatores
date:- 1778
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5SD59SW, button to large image
Water Crook
circle, labelled in italic lowercase text; settlement, farm, house, or hamlet?

placename:- Water Crook
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

old map:- Bowen and Kitchin 1760

New Map of the Counties of Cumberland and Westmoreland, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, Emanuel Bowen and Thomas Kitchin, published by T Bowles, John Bowles and Son, Robert Sayer, and John Tinney, 1760; published 1760-87.
thumbnail BO18SD48, button to large image
Water Crook
no symbol

placename:- Water Crook
date:- 1760
period:- 18th century, late; 1760s

old map:- Morden 1695 (Wmd)

Maps, Westmorland, scale about 2.5 miles to 1 inch, and Cumberland, scale about 3 miles to 1 inch, by Robert Morden, 1695.
image MD10SD58, button   goto source.
thumbnail MD10SD58, button to large image
Water Crook
Circle.

placename:- Water Crook
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1695
period:- 17th century, late; 1690s

button   roman fort, Watercrook

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.