button to main menu   Ford's Description of the Lakes, 1839/1843

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 104:-
vaulted in stucco, with cross springers. The east window is by far the finest decorated window in the kingdom; it consists of nine lights, and the head is filled with the richest flowing tracery conceivable; it is, however, painful to add,that it is in a state of rapid decay. The north and south aisles of the choir are similar in character, and terminated by windows of two lights. Beneath the sill of the aisle windows a row of beautiful niches is continued all round. In the north aisle Dr. Paley lies buried - a fine mural monument simply recording his name and age. In the choir, Bishops Law and Smith are interred, both eminent in their generation. The prevailing style of the choir is early English, the east end being decorated. The entrance into the Abbey is under an ancient gate-way, having a circular arch, round which is an inscription purporting its having been built by Christopher Slee, Prior. Within the precincts are the deanery and prebendal houses, the fratry, and register office. The deanery contains, in its square tower built by Prior Senhouse, a fine apartment used as a drawing-room, whose ceiling is worthy of inspection: it is of oak, carved in square pannels, the intersecting knots being highly adorned, and the whole painted in different colours, with armorial bearings emblazoned on shields, and mottoes scattered about. The fratry or refectory of the ancient priory is now used as the chapter-room; the south front is lighted by a row of elegantly-proportioned windows of the Tudor style, the op-
gazetteer links
button -- Carlisle Cathedral
button next page

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.