button to main menu   Ford's Description of the Lakes, 1839/1843

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 109:-
banks are fertile, but the ridges which bound it on the north, or separate it from the Irthing, parallel to which it flows for some distance, are naked, cold, and uninviting. A sudden turn down the hill, on top of which the traveller has been proceeding for a mile or two, presents the sweet smiling Holm of St. Mary. On the right, fine woods clothe the swelling ridges which die away in the meadows below, in the midst of which, rising from among majestic elms, are seen the venerable ruins of Lanercost Abbey, backed by the woods that slope down from the baronial castle of Naworth to the clear murmuring streams of the Irthing.

  Lanercost Priory
The grey ruins of Lanercost, approached through the remains of a gateway covered with ivy, stand a little distance from the Irthing on its northern banks, in the green holms of St. Mary. This Monastery was founded in 1116, by Robert de Vallibus, for monks of the order of St. Augustine, chartered in the sixteenth year of Henry II, A.D. 1169, and dedicated by Bernard, Bishop of Carlisle, to Mary Magdalene.
The church consists of a nave with north aisle, transepts with aisles east of them, used as monumental chapels and choir. The western front is one of great beauty and simplicity; a magnificent door, pointed and of many mouldings, fills the lowest compartment; above it runs a string of
gazetteer links
button -- "Kingwater" -- King Water
button -- "Lanercost Abbey" -- Lanercost Priory
button next page

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.