button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Andrew, Penrith
St Andrew's Church
Penrith Church
locality:-   Penrith
civil parish:-   Penrith (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY51653018
1Km square:-   NY5130
10Km square:-   NY53
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BMC51.jpg (taken 12.5.2006)  
BMC53.jpg (taken 12.5.2006)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 58 4) 
placename:-  St Andrew's Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"St. Andrew's Ch. (Vicarage)"

evidence:-   old map:- Ogilby 1675 (plate 38) 
source data:-   Road strip map, hand coloured engraving, continuation of the Road from London to Carlisle, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, by John Ogilby, London, 1675.
In mile 282, Cumberland. 
Church to the left of the road, behind the houses. 
item:-  JandMN : 21
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   descriptive text:- Fiennes 1698
item:-  turret clockclockstarZodiacmoon movement
source data:-   Travel book, manuscript record of Journeys through England including parts of the Lake District, by Celia Fiennes, 1698.
"... there was also on the Church at Peroth a fine Clock which had severall motions, there was the starrs and signes there was the encrease and changes of the moone by a darke and golden side of a little globe."

evidence:-   old map, descriptive text:- Bowen 1720 (plate 94) 
item:-  plaque
source data:-   Strip maps, uncoloured engravings, road maps, The Road from London to Carlisle, scale about 2 miles to 1 inch, with sections in Lancashire and Westmorland, published by Emanuel Bowen, St Katherines, London, 1720.
"The Church is a very Spacious & Fine Structure, remarkable for a Latin Inscription on the North outside of ye Vestry Wall, Signifying yt in the Year 1508 there was a raging Plague in this County which Destroyed grt. Numbers of People in this &ye Adjacent Towns, of wch. our Historians take not the least Notice. In King Henry 8ths. time it was Honoured with ye Title of a Suffragan Bishop. In ye Church Yard on ye North Side of ye Church, are 2 large Pillars, ..."
item:-  Dove Cottage : 2007.38.100
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   descriptive text:- Defoe 1724-26
item:-  plague
source data:-   Tour through England and Wales, by Daniel Defoe, published in parts, London, 1724-26.
"... On the north side of the vestry of this church [Penrith] is erected in the wall an ancient square stone, with a memorial, intimating that in the year 1598 there was a dreadful plague in those parts, in which there dy'd;"
"Persons. / In Kendal, 2500 / In Penrith, 2266 / In Richmond, 2200 / In Carlisle, 1196 / 8162"
"N.B. By this account it should seem that every one of those towns had separately more people than the city of Carlisle, and that Kendal, which is the only manufacturing town of them, was the most populous."

evidence:-   descriptive text:- Simpson 1746
item:-  plagueblack death
source data:-   Atlas, three volumes of maps and descriptive text published as 'The Agreeable Historian, or the Compleat English Traveller ...', by Samuel Simpson, 1746.
image SMP4P183, button  goto source
"... The Church is an handsome spacious Edifice, but hath nothing further remarkable but an Inscription in rude Characters, set up for a Monument to Posterity, upon the N. Outside of the Vestry Wall: Fuit Pestis, &c. i.e. There was a Plague in this County in 1598, whereof died at Kendal, 2500; at Richmond, 2200; at Penrith, 2266; and at Carlisle, 1196: Which Relation is the more observable, and worth our Notice, because we have no Account of this Accident in any of our Histories. In King Henry VIII's Days, it was honour'd with the Title of a Suffragen Bishop."

evidence:-   old text:- Clarke 1787
item:-  1745 RebellionBattle of Clifton Moor
source data:-   Guide book, A Survey of the Lakes of Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire, written and published by James Clarke, Penrith, Cumberland, and in London etc, 1787; published 1787-93.
image CL13P016, button  goto source
page 16:-  "..."
"The church of Penrith is vicarial, and is worth, (as appears from the table of donations,) about L.100 per annum; it is in the gift of the Bishop of Carlisle, having been annexed to that See at its first erection by King Henry the I. It is a very handsome modern structure, having been rebuilt A.D. 1721, the tower excepted, which is of a much older and uncertain date. It consists internally of 112 pews on the ground, and 90 in the galleries, which are supported upon 20 beautiful stone pillars, well worth the notice of travellers: each pillar consists of one single stone, veined like mahogany, or stained fir; insomuch that they seem rather to have grown like wood, than to have been cut out of a solid block."
"The whole inside of the church is elegantly neat, the pews being made in a variegated English oak, and the altar decorated all round with paintings, which will be a lasting testament of the abilities of Mr Reid. From the roof of the Church depend two handsome gilt chandeliers, with the following inscription upon them: "These chandeliers were purchased with the 50 guineas given by the most noble William Duke of Portland to his tenants of the honour of Penrith, who, under his Grace's encouragement, associated in defence of the Government and town of Penrith against the rebels in 1745." The rebels, after their retreat from Derby, were put to flight from Clifton and Penrith, by his Royal Highness William Duke of Cumberland, after a short skirmish near Clifton-Moor, which began about four o'clock in the afternoon of Wednesday December 18th 1745: The rebel prisoners taken by the tenants of Penrith and the neighbours were upwards of 80."

evidence:-   old text:- Clarke 1787
item:-  excommunication
source data:-   Guide book, A Survey of the Lakes of Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire, written and published by James Clarke, Penrith, Cumberland, and in London etc, 1787; published 1787-93.
image CL13P021, button  goto source
page 21:-  "..."
"Before I leave Penrith, I must mention two pieces of church-history which occurred too late to be inserted in their proper place. ... The other is this; In the year 1355, some persons having committed several outrages in the church and church-yard of Penrith, Bishop Walton issued out a mandate to Sir Thomas rector of Burgham, and John de Docwray, threatening the greater excommunication to all concerned therein. Upon this, several of the parishioners went to Rose Castle and owned themselves guilty to the Bishop, humbly begging pardon, and intreating him to withdraw his mandate. This he consented to, upon condition that each of them should make an offering be-"
image CL13P022, button  goto source
Page 22:-  "[be]fore the image of the blessed Virgin, the Sunday following, of a wax candle three pounds weight."

evidence:-   old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions) 
source data:-   Book, Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
image CAM2P188, button  goto source
Page 188:-  "... The church was rebuilt of brick 1720, except the steeple. ..."

evidence:-   old text:- Capper 1808
source data:-   Gazetteer, A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom, compiled by Benjamin Pitts Capper, published by Richard Phillips, Bridge Street, Blackfriars, London, 1808; published 1808-29.
image CAP137, button  goto source
"[Penrith] ... The church is a large and handsome structure, mostly new built, except the lower part. Its roof is supported by pillars, consisting each of one entire stone dug out of a neighbouring quarry. ..."

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G819A508, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1819 part 1 p.508 
From the Compendium of County History:-  "... The vicarage [Penrith] was enjoyed from 1699 till his death in 1728 by Dr. Hugh Todd, who made considerable topographical collections for this county, and wrote a brief account of Carlisle."

evidence:-   descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843) 
source data:-   Guide book, A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by Rev William Ford, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, by W Edwards, 12 Ave Maria Lane, Charles Tilt, Fleet Street, William Smith, 113 Fleet Street, London, by Currie and Bowman, Newcastle, by Bancks and Co, Manchester, by Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, and by Sinclair, Dumfries, 1839.
image FD01P131, button  goto source
Page 131:-  "..."
"The parish church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a large structure, rebuilt in 1722, by a rate and subscription: the tower, which contains a set of very sweet chimes, is ancient. In the churchyard is a curious relic of antiquity, called the Giant's Grave, consisting of two large pillars, ten feet in height, and distant fifteen feet from each other in the direction of east and west, having the space between them partly enclosed on each side by four large thin stones. Near them is another pillar named the Giant's Thumb, but it is six feet in height. ..."

evidence:-   old photograph:- Ullswater Steamers 1900s (edn 1903) 
placename:-  St Andrew's Church
source data:-   Photograph, bw halftone, St Andrew's Church, Penrith, Cumberland, published in a guide book by the Ullswater Steam Navigation Co, Penrith, Cumberland, 1903.
image  click to enlarge
item:-  JandMN : 1023.5
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old text:- Harper 1907
source data:-   Guidebook, The Manchester and Glasgow Road, by Charles G Harper, published by Chapman and Hall Ltd, London, 1907.
Page 132:-  "..."
"There is not much left of the ancient church of Penrith, beside its Gothic tower, for the body of the building dates"
Page 133:-  "only from 1722, and is in a classic style that seems rank heresy in a place so historic as this. Not even the monolithic Ionic columns of red marble that decorate the interior, nor the ornate gilded chandeliers presented by the Duke of Portland, in recognition of the loyalty of Penrith in 1745, can compensate the stranger for the loss; although, to be sure, the townsfolk are inordinately proud of them. But there are many ancient monuments in the church, and some interesting fragments of stained glass that have escaped destruction. Among them is represented golden-haired Cicely Neville, youngest of all the two-and-twenty children of Henry Neville, Earl of Westmoreland. This is that "Proud Cis of Raby" who was wife of Richard, Duke of York, and mother of Edward the Fourth and Richard the Third. Here, too, is seen a plaguey ill-favoured stained-glass "likeness" of Richard the Second, with hair of an unpleasant canary-yellow, and a couple of chin-sprouts of the same colour."
"Still upon three sides of the church-tower you see sculptured the "bear and ragged staff" device of the great Earl of Warwick, the King-maker, who in his time was lord of Penrith and rebuilt the upper stage of the tower; ..."

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

 stained glass

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Parish Church of St Andrew
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Red sandstone rubble west tower of C12 and C13. The west doorway and rest of church was rebuilt in 1720 in red sandstone ashlar, classical. Two rows of round-headed windows in chamfered openings and with triple keystones. Sundial on south wall. Interior has 2 tiers of Roman Doric arcades, wide aisles, and galleries of equal width over the aisles and at west. Panelled ceilings. Three round-headed lights in east wall. Round arched over altar, with paintings."

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"1846. Victorian Gothic monument to commemorate building of Lancaster to Carlisle Railway. Robert Virtue, superintendent, John Stephenson &Co. Stone. Two rectangular piers with pointed arched panels with inscriptions, ending at top in crocketted finials. Between the piers is Perpendicular Gothic tracery, cusped, with an ogee arch above ending in a foliated finial."

evidence:-   old print:- Robertson 1911
source data:-   Print, lithograph? Skiddaw and Blancathra, Seen from the Side of Penrith Beacon, from a watercolour by Arthur Tucker, published by Chatto and Windus, London, 1911.
image  click to enlarge
Tipped in opposite p.4 of Wordsworthshire by Eric Robertson. 
printed at bottom:-  "SKIDDAW AND BLENCATHRA, SEEN FROM THE SIDE OF PENRITH BEACON / (In foreground and middle distance, Scumshaw Farm, Church and Castle of Penrith)"
item:-  JandMN : 197.2
Image © see bottom of page

 ring of bells

 cross slab gravestones

Nevill, Ralph de  1215 -  
Penreth, Simon de  1222 -  
Cantelupe, Walter de  1223 -  
Kirkoswald, Thomas de, Sir  1318 -  up to 
Horncastle, Alan de, Sir  1318 - 1323 
Kirkby, Gilbert de, Sir  1323 - 1325 
Wormynton, Peter de  1325 -  
Penreth, John de  1332 -  
Penreth, John de, Sir  1355 -  
Roter, John  1387 -  
Bolton, Hugh de  1390 -  
Strickland, William  1399 -  
Hanekin, John  1428 -  
Best, Thomas  1477 -  
Beneman, Henry  1535 -  
Sawell, Thomas  1536 -  
Ellerton, Thomas, Sir  1565 -  
Pearson, Robert, Sir  1565 - 11574 
Robson, Robert, Sir  1574 - 1575 
Walleis, William, Sir  1575 - 1601 
Hastie, John  1601 - 1650 
Baldwin, Roger  1650 - 1660 
Webster, Simon  1660 - 1663 
Fisher, Robert  1663 - 1665 
Carter, Charles  1665 - 1667 
d'Assigny, Marius  1667 - 1668 
Bunting, Joshua  1668 -  
Child, John  - 1694 
Farington, Alexander  1694 - 1699 
Todd, Hugh  1699 - 1728 
Morland, John  1728 - 1748 
Thompson, Gustavus  1748 - 1749 
Worsop, Battie  1749 - 1750 
Cowper, John  1750 - 1788 
Grisdale, Browne  1788 - 1790 
Fletcher, James  1790 - 1823 
Fenton, John  1823 - 1833 
Jackson, William  1833 - 1841 
Clark, Thomas James  1841 - 1845 
Milner, William Holme  1845 - 1853 
Butler, Samuel Johnston  1853 - 1879 
Chapman, Edward William  1879 - 1888 
Monnington, Thomas Pateshall  1888 - 1905 
Cropper, James  1905 - 1911 


 sundial (2)

 sundial (3)

Described in:-

Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

CAT64.jpg  Organ
(taken 23.5.2014)  
BVR95.jpg  Mother Union banner
(taken 22.11.2011)  
CAT63.jpg  Mothers Union banner; at St Andrew's, Penrith:-
"PENRITH DEANERY" (taken 23.5.2014)  
BQU24.jpg  Brass plaque in the tower, restates what has been defaced by time from a sandstone plaque:-
"A.D. MDXCVIII Ex gravi Peste, quoe Regionibus hisce incubuit, Obierunt, Apud / PENRITH, 2260 / KENDAL, 2500 / RICHMOND, 2200 / CARLISLE, 1196 / POSTERI Averite vo, et Vivite / EZEK. XVIII.32." (taken 11.6.2009)  
BMC50.jpg (taken 12.5.2006)  

A clock in the church was repaired in 1655. This clock was described by Celia Fiennes, 1698.
A new clock was ordered by the vicar, Dr Hugh Todd, from Aaron Cheesebrough, clockmaker, Penrith, 1712.

BQU22.jpg  Movement of turret clock, displayed in the tower. The clock was built by Aaron Cheesbrough, Penrith, 1712; wood framed, dead beat escapement, strike train.
(taken 11.6.2009)  
BQU23.jpg  Movement of turret clock, displayed in the tower. The clock was built by Aaron Cheesbrough, Penrith, 1712; wood framed, dead beat escapement, strike train.
(taken 11.6.2009)  
The present clock was made by Potts, Leeds, late 19th century.

There was a church in the early 12th century. The present building dates from 1720-22. There have been several restorations, latterly in 1887, 1921, 1951, and 1972.

: : church leaflet

fortified church tower

Perriam, D R &Robinson, J: 1998: Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria: CWAAS:: ISBN 1 873124 23 6; plan and illsutration

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.